U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 11:31 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,643,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
WASHINGTON - The tricky politics of immigration, an issue once seen as a driving force of the 2008 election, have relegated it to a back but hot burner in the presidential campaign debate and paralyzed Congress on the topic.

Both John McCain and Barack Obama support giving legal status to millions of illegal immigrants, a position that strategists see as crucial to winning over Hispanics
Arizona Republic article

Frankly; who cares what a group of 'Hispanics' think whether the USA should grant or deny amnesty to a bunch of lawbreakers with a significant proportion of the latter committing Felonies (ID theft, etc)?

The cold reality is so-called 'Latinos' are only about 14% of the US population-----and, many of 'em are quite anti illegal immigration themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 01:15 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,177,562 times
And what has supporting legalization of illegals done for McCain? Well the latest poll shows Obama leading McCain among Hispanics 62% to 29%. So much for theory Republicans will get Hispanic votes if they support an open border.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:29 PM

3,208 posts, read 2,869,619 times
The fact that either of them support this mass legalization of illegals is appalling. Isn't it obvious that the majority of the legal citizens of this country would consider this a major slap in the face. There is a reason we have processes in place to become a citizen. Ever ask yourselves why, after 300 years of endless immigration we have decided that we should put Spanish instructions on everything. If we are going to do that for them, shouldn't we also include French, German, Russian, Chinese, etc. We don't because the majority of those people are forced to immigrate legally. And part of that process is learning English. If the Spanish speaking people want to immigrate here legally, then more power to them. But the illegals should be made to pay the price for border jumping. I guarantee that if the shoe was on the other foot, Mexico would have a thing or two to say about millions of Americans flooding their streets.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:01 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,723,427 times
As long as the latino/hispanic population (legal & illegal) keeps increasing, there is really no way to stop them from getting increased attention as a voting block, politicians on both sides realize this and they will continue to pander. Why would either of them throw away the "latino vote" by stating that they will close the borders and arrest and expel all illegals? I can't see that happening. I am hopeful that a common sense solution can be reached at some point, but during the election cycle, I don't think either one is willing to take that risk.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:27 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,794,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Arizona Republic article

Frankly; who cares what a group of 'Hispanics' think whether the USA should grant or deny amnesty to a bunch of lawbreakers with a significant proportion of the latter committing Felonies (ID theft, etc)?

The cold reality is so-called 'Latinos' are only about 14% of the US population-----and, many of 'em are quite anti illegal immigration themselves.
They may be but most support "amnesty" for illegal immigrants.. and that has been proven true in many polls.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
They may be but most support "amnesty" for illegal immigrants.. and that has been proven true in many polls.
Well; blacknight04, most Americans do not support amnesty for those losers.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:04 PM

3,762 posts, read 7,227,617 times
It's a tough situation for sure. As I have said many times before, politicians will try not to offend anybody in order to get the votes. Of the two, I think Obama would be less illegal friendly than McCain because of his background. This dude got his $ss kicked in states with large number of Mexican voters. Blacks generally are not happy with illegals making life harder them. I don't think they will stand for Obama welcoming illegals with open arms.

Last edited by davidt1; 06-08-2008 at 08:44 PM..

Old 06-08-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
It's a tough situation for sure. As I have said many times before, politicians will try not to offend anybody in order to get the votes. Of the two, I think Obama would be less illegal friendly than McCain because of his background. This dude got his $ss kicked in states with large number of Mexican voters. Blacks generally are not happy with illegals making life harder them. I don't think they will stand for Obama welcoming illegals with open arms.
I have opined on in the past that the illegal immigrant menace may wind up shattering many of the last 'barriers' between Black and White Americans.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:40 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,999,351 times
Quote:
I have opined on in the past that the illegal immigrant menace may wind up shattering many of the last 'barriers' between Black and White Americans.
Thats classic.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:39 PM

15,088 posts, read 16,949,194 times
Quote:
That's optimistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or