U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2009, 10:01 AM
 
Location: CO
1,599 posts, read 3,006,655 times
Reputation: 488

Advertisements

I'm thinking it's probably a 3.

Having had several discussions with Benicar and macmeal about this in the past, I do believe illegal immigrants are having a large negative impact on CA - the impacts are higher in some areas obviously. But I wouldn't go as far as making them a scapegoat for all of CA's financial problems. Lord knows the state government hasn't made the best decisions. And the CA voters haven't made the tough choices needed to get things back on track either. They want to have their cake and eat it too.

There is plenty of blame to go around out there. It's amazing - you look at how high the CA taxes are in every category and it's hard to believe they could possibly be in financial trouble. And to think we're planning on moving back there in a year or two so that we can raise our daughter closer to our extended family...

Why wasn't this made as a poll?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2009, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
I'm thinking it's probably a 3.

Having had several discussions with Benicar and macmeal about this in the past, I do believe illegal immigrants are having a large negative impact on CA - the impacts are higher in some areas obviously. But I wouldn't go as far as making them a scapegoat for all of CA's financial problems. Lord knows the state government hasn't made the best decisions. And the CA voters haven't made the tough choices needed to get things back on track either. They want to have their cake and eat it too.

There is plenty of blame to go around out there. It's amazing - you look at how high the CA taxes are in every category and it's hard to believe they could possibly be in financial trouble. And to think we're planning on moving back there in a year or two so that we can raise our daughter closer to our extended family...

Why wasn't this made as a poll?
Let me weigh in here:

As most of us know: California's housing prices are in the stupid range along with Wash DC, NYC and a few other metros.

If it means a '1930's style depression' to smash said housing prices down to levels so Americans can live there again; I am referring to police officers, nurses, teachers, etc.--------so be it. Otherwise said overpriced enclaves do not deserve to exist if their means of 'worker bee' survival entails illegal aliens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2009, 12:31 PM
 
Location: CO
1,599 posts, read 3,006,655 times
Reputation: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Let me weigh in here:

As most of us know: California's housing prices are in the stupid range along with Wash DC, NYC and a few other metros.

If it means a '1930's style depression' to smash said housing prices down to levels so Americans can live there again; I am referring to police officers, nurses, teachers, etc.--------so be it. Otherwise said overpriced enclaves do not deserve to exist if their means of 'worker bee' survival entails illegal aliens.
One of the main reasons NorCal (SF Bay Area in particular) housing prices are so high is due to the micro economy - mainly all the tech jobs. That region draws some of the most highly educated tech workers in the US, if not the world. Which means some of the highest paid workers reside there. Unless the tech economy crashes, the weather there changes drastically, and all the things that make the region rich and inviting disappear, the NorCal prices will likely remain higher than the national average. I don't think the high prices are sustained by the amount of illegals living there - maybe on the tax side, but not really on the housing prices.

SoCal is priced high due to it being a major metro area that draws millions of people in due to it's uniquely mild climate and lifestyle. People will always want to live there if for nothing more than the weather. That alone will keep prices high. People will always want to live in LA, regardless of its many problems.

Once you get outside of the SF Bay and LA areas in CA, the prices are generally MUCH more reasonable.

Desirable regions will always be priced higher. If a "1930's style depression" happens, living in a desirable area will probably be the least of everyones' concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
2,075 posts, read 1,774,369 times
Reputation: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
I'm thinking it's probably a 3.

Having had several discussions with Benicar and macmeal about this in the past, I do believe illegal immigrants are having a large negative impact on CA - the impacts are higher in some areas obviously. But I wouldn't go as far as making them a scapegoat for all of CA's financial problems. Lord knows the state government hasn't made the best decisions. And the CA voters haven't made the tough choices needed to get things back on track either. They want to have their cake and eat it too.

There is plenty of blame to go around out there. It's amazing - you look at how high the CA taxes are in every category and it's hard to believe they could possibly be in financial trouble. And to think we're planning on moving back there in a year or two so that we can raise our daughter closer to our extended family...

Why wasn't this made as a poll?
Great idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Doonan, QLD
103 posts, read 162,421 times
Reputation: 148
The same mentality that made illegal immigration okay is the same mentality that has allowed the U.S. to spend money it doesn’t have. Thinking that resources are unlimited, and it is no big deal to pay for the cost of education, healthcare and welfare of a large group of people who are likely to generate more costs than taxes for generations, is the same thought process that supports a belief the U.S. can take on all problems of everyone, all the time.
Each little thing, be it a war, extending benefits to citizens (or non-citizens) which is not funded by real cash flow leaves generations of unborn children unfairly indebted for poor decisions made today.
It is a false scenario to look at the estimated dollars going toward illegal immigrants on a state budget level, without realizing that private industry (especially healthcare) also bare major costs. It is also not a genuine evaluation unless one goes back to let’s say 1980 and looks at what the population would be if no illegal immigration had been allowed. We have a much larger population than we’d otherwise have; but also a population that is less economically advantaged and more dependent on public services than we’d have otherwise.
We cannot reverse time, but claiming that illegal immigration is not a major cause of the financial demise of the U.S. is also underestimating the overall and long term effects. The figures given look at a simple snap shot that purely relates to people who are classified as illegal immigrants today. This fails to account for the huge numbers given amnesty, and being allowed to legally immigrate following having children born in the U.S. to parents present in the U.S. illegally.
To make a real assessment, one needs to look at the effects over decades. The correct answer, would have been a tight control of immigration and use of legal residents to provide work at salaries consistent with the cost of being a member of the society.
To presume that the costs are a small part of the problem is minimizing a major problem. To assume it is the total cause of the financial demise also minimizes the poor choices and spending beyond one’s means that have become typical of both government and individuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 06:28 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,801 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Reputation: 17694
Brush with BK? It ain't no brush!!! I'd put it slightly over 50-50 more like 65%. It's bad in S cal, real bad. All you need to do is visit an ER or a local school at time to pick up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Brush with BK? It ain't no brush!!! I'd put it slightly over 50-50 more like 65%. It's bad in S cal, real bad. All you need to do is visit an ER or a local school at time to pick up.
This is ghastly to say: it may indeed be bankruptcy that winds up breaking the camel's back concerning California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top