U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 09:17 PM

16,703 posts, read 18,930,553 times

Advertisements

I think the topic is about how illegal immigration benefits the economy... I can't think of a reason...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 11:07 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,398,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I think the topic is about how illegal immigration benefits the economy... I can't think of a reason...
I totally agree. The ONLY ones profiting from illegal immigration are the scumbag employers of illegals who demand the so called cheap illegal labor while not paying any benefits. At the same time American taxpayers are stuck for fraudulently obtained social services, ER medical, which has become the illegals medical plan, overcrowded schools, which is ruining the quality our education, criminal illegal incarceration, etc., etc. The only way to stop the illegal Mexican invasion is for each state to pass the tough on the employers of illegals laws as was passed in Arizona and Oklahoma, which resulted in a MASS EXODUS OF ILLEGALS from those states. The basic component of the tough on the employers of illegals laws is MANDATORY E-VERIFICATION which checks the legals status of employees.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:53 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,176,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
OP did not distinguish so my post was referring to LEGAL immigration. As far as illegal, I agree with you, it does not provide an overall benefit. Any "perceived" benefit is far far outweighed by many costs not only money wise but safety and cultural wise as well. All it does is damaga our country.

Nicolem

Old 06-12-2008, 09:20 AM

2,039 posts, read 2,782,076 times
I think LEGAL immigrants have contributed to America's economy much more than people care to admit. You forget that in entertainment industry alone we have plenty of LEGAL immigrants (the late Bob Hope, actor Jim Carey, actress Nicole Kidman, etc...). Granted they also reaped tons of money by coming here, but so are people who benefited (directly or indirectly) from their career (theatre owners, insurance companies, agents, lawyers, movie studio employees, stunt people, etc). I remember Will Smith (who's not an immigrant) once said that when an actor's movie tanks at the box office, it affects everyone directly or indirectly involved in that movie.

Then there are other immigrants in other fields like:
Sergey Brin (co-founder of GOOGLE)
Kevork S. Hovnanian (founder of Hovnanian home builder)
Andreas von Bechtolsheim and Vinod Khosla (co-founders of Sun Microsystems)
Charles Wang (founder of Computer Assosicates)
Jerry Yang (co-founder of Yahoo)
Patrick Lo (founder of Netgear)
Liz Claiborne (founder of Liz Claiborne women's clothing line)
Andrew Grove (co-founder of Intel)

and many more.

To deny these contributions out of spite or hatred for illegal immigrants is not only silly, it's useless.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:23 AM

207 posts, read 373,147 times
Immigration legal or illegal hurts Americans because it lowers wages.

It also raises gas prices because demand for gas increases with each new car on the road.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,074 times
Default Immigration!

If the laws were as easy then everybody would be crossing over with a passport. But they are not they keep the good people out and they let the bad run a muck.

This issue has touched my life on a personal level. I see both sides, immgrants pay taxes, social security and medicare which they never try to get back. They can not apply for any type of help from the government, just acknowledge that it is the american citizen are theones lining up to get food stamps, medicaid and cash assistant.

These poor people come to work for a measily wage that not even i will be willing to work for. There have been plenty of political candidates that have hired illegal immigrants whether they knew it or not it was because the amount of money they were willing to pay no american citizen would work for.

We have minimun wage but sorry to say it only applies to some. Illegal women work over 10 hours a day picking oranges, potatoes and strawberries for about 20 dollars a day. Would you go and do that job?

They clean houses over 3,ooo sq ft for only $70.00. Exactly, you wouldnt do it. why should anybody else. The men work building homes to which the builders pay them an average of .10 per sq ft of a simillar wage just to frame the house.

Immigration is what made this country a great one. I agree on keeping a very close eye on it but do not use this as a way of taking the unwanted out. This is an excuse to commit racism based on country of origin.

Homeland Security is not doing their job they are going after the poor. Please i still hav enot seen one mexican with a bomb . Let me think about this who was flying the airplanes when we got struck on 911 it was not an american it was middle eastern men "terrorist". Illegal immigrants are not terrorist they just want to come over make money have a life.

We got hit by terrorist then we turned on our Country by saying it was our fault.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:28 AM

219 posts, read 378,684 times
If they were legal and went through the correct avenues to become U.S. citizens they wouldn't put up with that! I think that is why Americans don't do those jobs. The people who exploit them are wrong too! These aliens are so desperate to work that they will take whatever anyone will give them and these people who hire them and allow them to bid so low on these jobs are evil! It is disgusting to treat a human being like that. But they continually allow it to happen all for the almighty dollar.
So in the end, the benefits of illegal immigration is all the for the companies, they make more than ever with cheap labor and more money in their pockets.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:39 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,176,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth2008 View Post
If the laws were as easy then everybody would be crossing over with a passport. But they are not they keep the good people out and they let the bad run a muck.

This issue has touched my life on a personal level. I see both sides, immgrants pay taxes, social security and medicare which they never try to get back. They can not apply for any type of help from the government, just acknowledge that it is the american citizen are theones lining up to get food stamps, medicaid and cash assistant.

These poor people come to work for a measily wage that not even i will be willing to work for. There have been plenty of political candidates that have hired illegal immigrants whether they knew it or not it was because the amount of money they were willing to pay no american citizen would work for.

We have minimun wage but sorry to say it only applies to some. Illegal women work over 10 hours a day picking oranges, potatoes and strawberries for about 20 dollars a day. Would you go and do that job?

They clean houses over 3,ooo sq ft for only $70.00. Exactly, you wouldnt do it. why should anybody else. The men work building homes to which the builders pay them an average of .10 per sq ft of a simillar wage just to frame the house.

Immigration is what made this country a great one. I agree on keeping a very close eye on it but do not use this as a way of taking the unwanted out. This is an excuse to commit racism based on country of origin.

Homeland Security is not doing their job they are going after the poor. Please i still hav enot seen one mexican with a bomb . Let me think about this who was flying the airplanes when we got struck on 911 it was not an american it was middle eastern men "terrorist". Illegal immigrants are not terrorist they just want to come over make money have a life.
We got hit by terrorist then we turned on our Country by saying it was our fault.
Yes- LEGAL CONTROLLED Immigration made this country great. People who played by the rules-had to have a job, tested for disease, have a sponsor. Not here to get food stamps, welfare, ESL classes, free health care etc. etc. Not here to sneak across the border and demand their rights and in many cases have more rights than Americans. People who came here to waive the American flag not another countries flag and to stomp on the American flag.

It is irrelevant if illegal aliens are terrorists or not. I don't care if it is a 90 year old grandmother carrying a Bible-they break the law, steal id's or ssn and put a drain on our economy and drive down wages for Americans.

Nicolem

Old 06-12-2008, 02:36 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth2008 View Post

Legal immigrants are fine-----and, I welcome them to my nation.

Illegal ones need to be thrown out-------and, have their assets seized as well.

End of story.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:06 PM

59 posts, read 194,705 times
benefit of illegal immigration , It creates many jobs for Americans. Jobs in police work, Jobs in prisons and jails. jobs building prisons and jails and jobs in maintaining prisons ans jails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration