Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 11:09 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,602,460 times

Advertisements

I hear a ton of talk about securing and militarizing our borders.

This is not a viable option at this time. Our troops are committed in two Wars and we have an impending war with Iran in the future. It is going to happen... No use arguing this point...we cannot withdrawal our troops and stick them on our borders...

My brother just returned from Iraq and If I was 18 I would have served on what I'm about to suggest. No questions asked...My family has a strong military and police background.

So the question is, How do we militarize our borders?

I have one suggestions (might not be popular). We need to go the route of Israel. All 18 year old male and female citizens must serve in a homeland securities force. They get Army training, go to basic and so on. Since they are not regular Armed Forces they do not have to serve in foreign wars unless they specifically sign up for a regular branch of the Armed Forces.

If they refuse service they lose rights.

The right to vote.

The right to work in government (from local to national..no police, no fire, no courts, etc.).

The right to receive any security clearance.

The right to work in any company that has a government contract.

The right to attend or work in any public college on university. Yeah, they can go to private and work in private colleges and universities.

The right to teach in any public schools. They can teach in private schools.

I think only physical and mental exemptions should be allowed. No Religious exemptions! If you have the right to practice any religion then you have the obligation to defend such right...

So post your comments. Add your suggestions. Keep in mind that it should be common sense that out regular troops are not going to be pulled and put on our borders.

Last edited by ibarrio; 06-07-2008 at 11:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 11:16 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,118,218 times
I believe that ibarrio encapsulated the above quite nicely.

A national employer sanctions law; if rigorously enforced would force out most of the illegal immigrants (and their families) quite nicely-------be them Irish, Polish, Mexican, etc.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:24 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,631,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I believe that ibarrio encapsulated the above quite nicely.

A national employer sanctions law; if rigorously enforced would force out most of the illegal immigrants (and their families) quite nicely-------be them Irish, Polish, Mexican, etc.
The road to a national employers of illegals sanctions law will have to come through employers of illegals sanctions laws passed at the states level. Washington is run by and for special interest ruling elites who don't want to stop illegal immigration. Only the sheeple can stop the illegal Mexican invasion at this point.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:01 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,406,632 times
Please, no mando military, it is bad enough with the ones who volunteered and do not want to be there.

Making people join will just overburden our training system. So instead of a few getting real good training, we will have many getting crap.

Border patrol is constantly hiring.

Sorry, but I am not into forcing people to join something they want no part of. Only in times of extreme emergencies should people be forced into the military.

There are one thousand things to do to solve our illegal problem, the number one thing would be to go after the employers and cut off all social services to all illegals. Those two things right here would probably solve over 90% of our illegal problem.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:15 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Please, no mando military, it is bad enough with the ones who volunteered and do not want to be there.

Making people join will just overburden our training system. So instead of a few getting real good training, we will have many getting crap.

Border patrol is constantly hiring.

Sorry, but I am not into forcing people to join something they want no part of. Only in times of extreme emergencies should people be forced into the military.

There are one thousand things to do to solve our illegal problem, the number one thing would be to go after the employers and cut off all social services to all illegals. Those two things right here would probably solve over 90% of our illegal problem.
I agree. Forcing people to serve in the military (even if they do not have to serve overseas or in a war) is not the correct solution by any means. It would overburden the training system, like k350 stated, plus the effect would be tens of thousands of young adults "working" a job they wouldn't be happy with and didn't give a crap about, because they were forced to do it. I know at 18, I wouldn't have wanted to do it at all...especially since, at that age, I didn't know too much about or care much about illegal immigration, border crossing, politics, the economy and such, and I suspect I was not in the minority among my peers. I just wanted to graduate from high school, hang out with my friends, and move off to college...which is a reasonable choice for people that age...not mandatory military training with loss of certain rights as a penalty. Yikes.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:01 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,062 times
I don't have specific suggestions, Ibarrio, but I've lived long enough and seen enough to know that a VERY basic truth in life is, that "if you DON'T (or won't) control YOURSELF, sooner or later, someone is going to step up and 'Do The Job FOR you".....and that describes this situation, as well as a number of OTHER societal 'things' we're now doing (or NOT doing). I can promise you that if we refuse to control our border(s), that sooner or later, we'll have no choice in the matter. It's that simple. Either we WILL control our border (and probably anger a lot of people) or at some point we will simply cease to exist as a viable, First-World country, at which point "controoling anmything" will come in as second in priority to simply surviving, and trying to keep from killing each other. Many great nations have failed, but few have been so determined to LET themselves fail, as we seem to be.
Your plan sounds as 'feasible' as any other....and hardly any more disturbing than many other scenarios I could think of...it's obvious that SOMETHING WILL be done....by US, or "TO" us...at this point, the choice is ours.....for now.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
I hear a ton of talk about securing and militarizing our borders.

This is not a viable option at this time. Our troops are committed in two Wars and we have an impending war with Iran in the future. It is going to happen... No use arguing this point...we cannot withdrawal our troops and stick them on our borders...

My brother just returned from Iraq and If I was 18 I would have served on what I'm about to suggest. No questions asked...My family has a strong military and police background.

So the question is, How do we militarize our borders?

I have one suggestions (might not be popular). We need to go the route of Israel. All 18 year old male and female citizens must serve in a homeland securities force. They get Army training, go to basic and so on. Since they are not regular Armed Forces they do not have to serve in foreign wars unless they specifically sign up for a regular branch of the Armed Forces.

If they refuse service they lose rights.

The right to vote.

The right to work in government (from local to national..no police, no fire, no courts, etc.).

The right to receive any security clearance.

The right to work in any company that has a government contract.

The right to attend or work in any public college on university. Yeah, they can go to private and work in private colleges and universities.

The right to teach in any public schools. They can teach in private schools.

I think only physical and mental exemptions should be allowed. No Religious exemptions! If you have the right to practice any religion then you have the obligation to defend such right...

So post your comments. Add your suggestions. Keep in mind that it should be common sense that out regular troops are not going to be pulled and put on our borders.
i think the jews have the guts to do such a program. i am not sure we do any longer. we rent a lot of courage here. our police and military often carry the name, gomez, hernandez, diaz. there are of course beautiful exceptions.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:34 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,118,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i think the jews have the guts to do such a program. i am not sure we do any longer. we rent a lot of courage here. our police and military often carry the name, gomez, hernandez, diaz. there are of course beautiful exceptions.
In all fairness; many Americans with Hispanic surnames are gung-ho pro USA and anti illegal immigration.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:50 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In all fairness; many Americans with Hispanic surnames are gung-ho pro USA and anti illegal immigration.
That is very true. I work with a Peruvian-American doctor who literally despises illegal immigrants...with a passion. I'm positive it has something to do with the fact that he worked so hard to get where he is, and he came into this country the right way. His last name is a fairly common Hispanic last name. But, anyway...

Old 06-07-2008, 10:34 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
WARNING....CONTAINS SARCASM.....not recommended by those who don't understand SARCASM

I don't worry NEARLY as much about whether we can "trust" those Gomez and Hernandez people, as I do about SOME people right here in our midst who have "normal" names, yet are intensely loyal to a country that once tried its best to destroy us. Some of these folks still feel loyal to that 'evil empire', and display its flag...the flag of an enemy nation.

It's called the "Confederate flag", and it represents a DIRECT threat to the USA, far more than any soldier named "Rodriguez", or even "Schmidt", or "DiCarlo", or "Nakamura", and the rest of those "funny" type names....names of people who MIGHT not be totally "on our side", if you get my drift.

I say, the USA is a land of peace, understanding, non-violence, and tolerance, and anyone who says otherwise should get his BUTT kicked.

Last edited by macmeal; 06-07-2008 at 10:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration