U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would amnesty be the downfall of the Republican party? (read explanation below)
Yes 19 67.86%
No 6 21.43%
Not Sure 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:22 AM

218 posts, read 393,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
I based my opinion on the fact that with an amnesty the overwhelming majority of newly amnestied illegal aliens will be Democratic voters. With such an overwhelming numerical advantage of Democratic voters, how could the Republican party ever win another election?

Roguer -

had not thought of it that way. From a purely demographic perspective, adding millions of largely poor, unskilled voters to the rolls would surely hurt the GOP chances. But then, the amnesty would give the illegals the right to remain in the US, but not citizenship (at least not right away). It would take time, and I wonder, what percentage of those would choose to become citizens as opposed to green card holders?

One of the misconceptions I think people in the US generally have is that the GOP has been wiped out in California (and that's in my estimation an accurate assessment) because of Mexican immigration. The biggest reason is the increased liberalisation of the state (look at, for example, how Marin County, Calif has voted since 1960, when it went for Nixon until now, when it arguably is the most reliably liberal, Democratic county in the whole country).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 10:59 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,701,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Costume View Post
Roguer -

had not thought of it that way. From a purely demographic perspective, adding millions of largely poor, unskilled voters to the rolls would surely hurt the GOP chances. But then, the amnesty would give the illegals the right to remain in the US, but not citizenship (at least not right away). It would take time, and I wonder, what percentage of those would choose to become citizens as opposed to green card holders?

One of the misconceptions I think people in the US generally have is that the GOP has been wiped out in California (and that's in my estimation an accurate assessment) because of Mexican immigration. The biggest reason is the increased liberalisation of the state (look at, for example, how Marin County, Calif has voted since 1960, when it went for Nixon until now, when it arguably is the most reliably liberal, Democratic county in the whole country).
And the sick irony is that today's 'liberal' ain't IMHO---------he/she do not give a damn about blue collar Americans be us White (and increasingly) Black, Anglo or Hispanic.

Part of what makes the Marin types gag is that the modern Blue Collar person has adopted many of the traits of upper crust society of 40 years ago..........few of us drink to excess anymore, far less smokers, small families, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration