U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would amnesty be the downfall of the Republican party? (read explanation below)
Yes 19 67.86%
No 6 21.43%
Not Sure 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 06:13 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,031,182 times

Advertisements

The Republican party has lost a few million members since 2000, many of us can guess why. But if we grant amnesty to 12 million people, that will be approximately 5 million new Democrats. Do you think if we grant amnesty to all the illegal aliens, the Republican party will fade into history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 06:23 PM

1,356 posts, read 5,324,182 times
It depends how it is done. If the Republicans sign off on amnesty then it could be the last straw for the conservatives and the party. I don't think that a mass legalization will throw off the voter registrations for decades, if that is what you are asking.

Latinos have a lot of conservative values because so many are Catholic. Most of the Latinos I know are conservative, even those who are first generation. I think it is a myth that Republicans will lose Latinos forever by opposing amnesty because Latinos are pretty split on the issue.

All that said, I think Republicans would entirely lose California for many years. But since they mostly already have then it is not a huge net loss.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:20 PM

59 posts, read 194,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
The Republican party has lost a few million members since 2000, many of us can guess why. But if we grant amnesty to 12 million people, that will be approximately 5 million new Democrats. Do you think if we grant amnesty to all the illegal aliens, the Republican party will fade into history?
To grant amnesty does not make them a citizen, And you have to be a citizen to vote. But don't get me wrong I want nothing to do with amnesty , I say deport them and their anchors.
But would it help the demrats before they become citizens?? That's why I put not sure on the poll.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:11 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,397,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Well the Republican business owners who had to have the cheap illegal subsidized labor were responsible for the flood of illegal into this country. Now that flood of illegals could be as high as 20 plus million. The vast majority of these illegals no doubt would be Democratic voters, if they were amnestied. The demographic of poor, not speaking English, uneducated, and soon to be on welfare if amnestied, is clearly that of future Democrats, not Republicans. Fresh off the boat immigrants usually become Democrats just like newly amnestied illegals aliens would. Not to mention that the Democratic politians blatantly pander to hispanics.

I'm not sure that the Republican party will fade into history but it will certainly decline for quite a while. The Democratic party would eventually screw up and the pendulum would no doubt swing the back other way.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:37 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,170,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep4x4 View Post
To grant amnesty does not make them a citizen, And you have to be a citizen to vote. But don't get me wrong I want nothing to do with amnesty , I say deport them and their anchors.
But would it help the demrats before they become citizens?? That's why I put not sure on the poll.
It does not matter if they are citizens or not. If that mattered then how come McCain and Obama are both pandering to the illegal lobby, LaRaza and others. Look at Hillary-in the Nevada caucus I believe it was-promising the illegals amnesty-or what ever "non-amnesty name" she called it. There are plenty of other examples of politicians pandering to illegals even if they technically don't have the right to vote. Also ballots are printed in numerous languages in many states throughout this country.

And yes-in the year 2008-non-citizens vote. "Dead" people vote, illegals have fake id. I believe it was Benicar who said in her state that after getting a license(illegals are allowed) that you walk over and drop your voting registration in an unmanned box. She witnessed people doing this-multiple times. I have heard this from other people as well.

Nicolem

Old 06-17-2008, 07:17 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,170,029 times
I voted yes because this amnesty was the final straw for me. While I agree there are some republicans who have fiercly fought amnesty and I applaud them-it seems to be that the powers to be of the republican party want amnesty. Just look at what Rove and Bush said about Tom Tancredo-one of those who has led the crusade against illegals. They told him "to never darken the steps of the white house again". There are other examples of anti-illegal repubs not getting the backing of the republican establishement.

To me the republican party has made a huge shift for the worst. The things that I used to like about the Republican party-low taxes, personal freedom and putting America first are gone. While yes-the Republicans were always for big business-that is totally different now. I am for big business as far as true capitalism-competition that is good for all of us. However, we now have a republican party that is for bringing in an illegal workforce-how is that true capitalism? If a company profited by breaking the law in any other way there would be mass outrage in this country. There is mass outrage when a company cooks the books-and there should be. Why not for those who employ illegals and turn their back on hard working Americans? Also the republicans are for the NAU/SPP, NAFTA, CAFTA, etc. They-along with the dems- have turned their back on American sovereignty. They are no longer the Republican party that I want to be associated with. The dems are no better.

I am not saying there are not good republicans that fight for America and her sovereignty and fight to rid us of the illegal invasion-there are some in congress and I thank God every day for them. The problem is the powers to be in the repub party do what they can to silence them. Alos look at the dems-like Heath Schuler. Pelosi won't even let his common sense bill-Save Act- get to a vote because she knows it will pass

If the dems do win and people are unhappy with that, I do see an emergence of the republican party. However it will be one that I want nothing to do with, globalists, for the NAU/SPP and pro-life right wingers. A party that sends two brave American border guards/American veterans to jail for doing their job and trying to keep drugs out of this country, while a repeat drug dealer and illegal alien is treated better than these heroes. God bless Ramos and Compean.

We need a real viable pro-American third party politician to emerge and people need to wake up and realize that the parties that we have now-both-are too beholden to special interests. Even if that third party did not win, maybe it would wake up the other two and show them the American people mean business. The republicans and democrats take advantage that you will vote for them because has that ever not been true? They know most Americans will say "I can't vote for candidate C because he cannot win".

People can say anything derogatory about Ross Perot that they want and no I did not vote for him. However, he was strongly against this illegal invasion, NAFTA, GATT, etc. He at least cared about American Sovereignty. Once we lose our sovereignty-it is gone for good.

Nicolem

Old 06-17-2008, 07:52 AM

218 posts, read 392,400 times
I'm voting 'NO' because illegal immigration is one of those things that, if you dig below the surface even an inch or so, you will discover it pretty much unifies the so-called "two parties." Thus far, GOP opposition to illegal immigration has been little more than empty pandering - the GOP controlled the congress and White House on and off for the past eight years, and the situation has gotten worse, not better. They campaign about being tough on illegals, and once they have duped voters into supporting them, reward their big business buddies with inaction or worse, fake "comprehensive reform."

That aside, the real downfall of the Republicans is not illegal immigration.

It's out of control spending, an idiotic war in Iraq based on (to be kind), incorrect information, corruption that is beginning to make Warren G Harding look like a paragon of virtue, a fiscal policy that has helped push fuel costs through the roof, and along with them, food and other prices...

Old 06-17-2008, 09:22 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 22 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,464,992 times
The Reaganesque "Borrow and Spend" has been the downfall of Republicans, and is far worse than the Democratic "tax and spend".

Old 06-17-2008, 10:30 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
The Reaganesque "Borrow and Spend" has been the downfall of Republicans, and is far worse than the Democratic "tax and spend".
As you stated----------and, Clinton reminded me more of a moderate Republican (at least in the fiscal arena) than the administration that you named.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:55 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,397,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Costume View Post
I'm voting 'NO' because illegal immigration is one of those things that, if you dig below the surface even an inch or so, you will discover it pretty much unifies the so-called "two parties." Thus far, GOP opposition to illegal immigration has been little more than empty pandering - the GOP controlled the congress and White House on and off for the past eight years, and the situation has gotten worse, not better. They campaign about being tough on illegals, and once they have duped voters into supporting them, reward their big business buddies with inaction or worse, fake "comprehensive reform."

That aside, the real downfall of the Republicans is not illegal immigration.

It's out of control spending, an idiotic war in Iraq based on (to be kind), incorrect information, corruption that is beginning to make Warren G Harding look like a paragon of virtue, a fiscal policy that has helped push fuel costs through the roof, and along with them, food and other prices...
I based my opinion on the fact that with an amnesty the overwhelming majority of newly amnestied illegal aliens will be Democratic voters. With such an overwhelming numerical advantage of Democratic voters, how could the Republican party ever win another election?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration