Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should these groups be banned?
yes 23 54.76%
no 14 33.33%
don't care/not sure 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:17 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,062 times

Advertisements

How about the Italian Catholic Federation? Some of those bingo games can get pretty subversive !.....and I don't trust those "Las Vegas nights" either. Got to watch those dealers pretty closely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 01:57 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
How about the Italian Catholic Federation? Some of those bingo games can get pretty subversive !.....and I don't trust those "Las Vegas nights" either. Got to watch those dealers pretty closely.
hm.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:14 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Not from the land, but they should not be in public schools and institutions. No race supremist group should be allowed in public schools.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Not from the land, but they should not be in public schools and institutions. No race supremist group should be allowed in public schools.
Hopefully those out for minority rights dont get confused with race supremacists groups.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:02 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,118,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Hopefully those out for minority rights dont get confused with race supremacists groups.
Such being the case; groups like MEChA, Black Panthers, etc. should be banned from campuses along with the KKK, etc.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:45 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post

Even that should depend -- I can see having groups that work for equal rights for all Americans, that work to eliminate race and gender inequalities. In many parts of the country, whites are now a minority and I doubt anyone would go along with a white-race group given time to demand special rights for whites. And should a white-group be given time or be allowed to form a white club that does not allow others to join?

I think all the groups and clubs in public institutions should have to be open to all and should not use race or ethnicity as a way to keep out anyone who wished to join.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:45 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,795,840 times
No, it shouldn't be banned. As crazy and sick as they are, free speech exists here and is here to stay.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:48 PM

218 posts, read 437,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Even that should depend -- I can see having groups that work for equal rights for all Americans, that work to eliminate race and gender inequalities. In many parts of the country, whites are now a minority and I doubt anyone would go along with a white-race group given time to demand special rights for whites. And should a white-group be given time or be allowed to form a white club that does not allow others to join?

I think all the groups and clubs in public institutions should have to be open to all and should not use race or ethnicity as a way to keep out anyone who wished to join.

Very well put.

I really think that we need to put aside this Balkanisation before it gets too much further out of hand.

What ever happened to taking public education money and using it for, I don't know, education? Like maths, history, science, etc.? Is that too radical an idea?

Old 06-23-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Such being the case; groups like MEChA, Black Panthers, etc. should be banned from campuses along with the KKK, etc.
I still disagree with the comparison between MeCha and the Black Panthers with the KKK.

The Black Panthers were formed during a volatile time in America's history. They were extremist, but this was during extreme times. They formed out of self-defense, and were created to protect their community during a rough time in America's history.
Their ten point program:
Quote:
The Ten Point Program
  1. We want power to determine the destiny of our black and oppressed communities' education that teaches us our true history and our role in the present-day society.
  2. We want completely free health care for all black and oppressed people.
  3. We want an immediate end to police brutality and murder of black people, other people of color, all oppressed people inside the United States.
  4. We want an immediate end to all wars of aggression.
  5. We want full employment for our people.
  6. We want an end to the robbery by the capitalists of our Black Community.
  7. We want decent housing, fit for the shelter of human beings.
  8. We want decent education for our people that exposes the true nature of this decadent American society.
  9. We want freedom for all black and oppressed people now held in U. S. Federal, state, county, city and military prisons and jails. We want trials by a jury of peers for all persons charged with so-called crimes under the laws of this country.
  10. We want land, bread, housing, education, clothing, justice, peace and people's community control of modern technology

MeCha was also formed in the 60s, and is Student Political group. They formed to encourage an identity for Chicanos, who at the time were very marginalized, and to promote education and empowerment of the people through involvement in politics and education. They promoted pride to be a Mexican and Chicano which didn't really exist as much in the U.S. before.
Somewhere down the road, they screwed up, and their politics got too radical. What could have been a great organization became too narrowminded, and they ended up shooting themselves in the foot.

The KKK, on the other hand is a racist, extremely violent terrorist group comprised of the worst scum in this country. A bunch of rednecks with a history of tormenting people of other races and religions.

The KKK loved to lynch, try to murder entire families including children, and burn houses down.

They assasinated a member of the Naacp and brutally murdered civil rights leaders.

You can't even compare the KKK to the Latino street gangs that have war with Black street gangs. Because those people are criminals at war with each other, and are not representative of a large group of Mexicans or Blacks.

The KKK on the other hand drew in people from all walks of life. Doctors, Police Officers, Construction workers, teachers, politicians, the unemployed rednecks, etc etc.

I have yet to see a group comprised of Mexicans from all walks of life, or Blacks from all walks of life getting together to form a vigilante group going around hanging people of other races.

I know I'm going on and on, but I really don't like the comparison of minority organizations to the KKK, and people do that a little too casually on here.

MecHa and groups like them should be allowed on campus. They don't actively engage in violence, they pretty much just practice free speech(however dumb that speech may be).

The KKK on the other hand is a terrorist organization that doesn't just talk about violence, they do it.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:28 PM

218 posts, read 437,750 times
AMC -

not that I am a fan of the KKK, but I think it started as a social club, and later transmogrified into what it now is.

And the idea that the Black Panthers, for example, were non-violent is of course news to me and many others who lived in California, where I had professors who defended Angela Davis on being an accomplice to the murder of a judge.

The Panthers indeed were a terrorist organisation and not the Boy Scouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration