U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should these groups be banned?
yes 23 54.76%
no 14 33.33%
don't care/not sure 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 02:36 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,997,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Costume View Post
AMC -

not that I am a fan of the KKK, but I think it started as a social club, and later transmogrified into what it now is.

And the idea that the Black Panthers, for example, were non-violent is of course news to me and many others who lived in California, where I had professors who defended Angela Davis on being an accomplice to the murder of a judge.

The Panthers indeed were a terrorist organisation and not the Boy Scouts.

It started as a social club determined to keep down Black's rights to vote, get an education, own guns, and other rights.
It wasnt too long before they went on night rides to burn houses and hang blacks.

Black Panthers did engage in some violence, but Blacks pretty much had their backs against the wall at that time. With the problems they were facing back then, it was legitimate revolutionary group in my opinion. The social climate at the time breeded groups like theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 03:23 PM

218 posts, read 392,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
It started as a social club determined to keep down Black's rights to vote, get an education, own guns, and other rights.
It wasnt too long before they went on night rides to burn houses and hang blacks.

Black Panthers did engage in some violence, but Blacks pretty much had their backs against the wall at that time. With the problems they were facing back then, it was legitimate revolutionary group in my opinion. The social climate at the time breeded groups like theirs.

I guess we will have to disagree. Whilst times breed revolutionary groups, murdering judges and policemen is beyond the Pale as far as I am concerned.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I guess we will have to disagree. Whilst times breed revolutionary groups, murdering judges and policemen is beyond the Pale as far as I am concerned.
I see your point. But those were rough times that we hopefully wont be revisiting anytime soon.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:43 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,731,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post

The Black Panthers did not achieve anything for blacks, it was groups like those led by Martin Luther King, Ralph Abernathy that emphasized nonviolent protests that accomplished something.

Mexican illegals really need to take their protests back to their own country, what their country lacks is a social justice movement and that's why so many are dying trying to leave that rich nation. The Black Civil Rights movement didn't sneak into other countries and work for justice, they worked to improve their own nation.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:17 AM

11,215 posts, read 7,610,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Mexican illegals really need to take their protests back to their own country, what their country lacks is a social justice movement and that's why so many are dying trying to leave that rich nation .
Problem is that if you asked many illegals and MECHa people, they blame the US and its policies for their poor conditions. In a way they are seeking revenge. Don't they ever blame the pathetic mexican government?

Last edited by WildWestDude; 06-24-2008 at 07:37 AM..

Old 06-24-2008, 07:28 AM

218 posts, read 392,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Problem is that if you asked many illegals and MECHa people, they blame the US and its policies for their poor conditions. In a way they are seeking revenge. Don't they ever blame their own government?
How many illegals have you actually asked? The few people I ever interacted with (and I was never certain that they were illegals, mind you) were pretty much oblivious to political arguments about reconquista or revenge. Most simply thought that they could have a better chance for them and their families if they came here, so they largely kept quiet and went about their jobs.

MeCHA is a toxic group in my own estimation. But I would suggest that most of the people you see advocating Aztlan or reconquistas or waving Mexican flags in noisome protests are mostly Americans of Mexican descent, and not illegal immigrants.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:33 PM

2,204 posts, read 4,003,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Problem is that if you asked many illegals and MECHa people, they blame the US and its policies for their poor conditions. In a way they are seeking revenge. Don't they ever blame the pathetic mexican government?
Nope. Everything is always our fault to many of them.

What's funny is, the Mexican government treats many of it's legal immigrants much poorer than we do, with limited rights for them that many have here.

So, it's okay for Mexicans to have a secure immigration policy but not the US to the Mexican government. Oh wait, I'm sorry, I'm racist for simply criticizing Mexico, sorry.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:58 PM

11,215 posts, read 7,610,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Nope. Everything is always our fault to many of them.

What's funny is, the Mexican government treats many of it's legal immigrants much poorer than we do, with limited rights for them that many have here.

So, it's okay for Mexicans to have a secure immigration policy but not the US to the Mexican government. Oh wait, I'm sorry, I'm racist for simply criticizing Mexico, sorry.
right on, agree

Old 06-25-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
How many illegals have you actually asked? The few people I ever interacted with (and I was never certain that they were illegals, mind you) were pretty much oblivious to political arguments about reconquista or revenge. Most simply thought that they could have a better chance for them and their families if they came here, so they largely kept quiet and went about their jobs.

MeCHA is a toxic group in my own estimation. But I would suggest that most of the people you see advocating Aztlan or reconquistas or waving Mexican flags in noisome protests are mostly Americans of Mexican descent, and not illegal immigrants.
I agree with everything you said here.

Most of them are young Chicanos looking for a chance to be rebels.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:44 PM

3,496 posts, read 8,345,361 times
No, these groups should not be banned. And neither should Nazi or KKK groups. You do not have to support, agree, or even listen to them but you do have to acknowledge their right to exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration