U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should these groups be banned?
yes 23 54.76%
no 14 33.33%
don't care/not sure 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-04-2008, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
But isnt hating illegal ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGALIILLEGAL immigrants still hating?

Nice try, amc. How does “anti” illegal equate to “hate” illegal? Have you been taking subterfuge lessons from blacknight?

One thing I must admit; you are relentless…..and creative. I love how you took the time to add special effects by changing the color of each “illegal” word. I only wish you had been able to animate your red, white and blue creation so they could flash intermittently. BTW, the fade-out in white was absolutely ingenious!

Go back to the drawing board, and with practice, you just may find that elusive “perfect” argument to support your illegal alien stance. I’m afraid this isn’t it; but again, very nice try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-04-2008, 09:57 AM
 
Location: City of North Las Vegas, NV
11,215 posts, read 7,605,444 times
Reputation: 2973
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
I am still trying to figure out which Mexicans are able to prove full blood. Most are mixed w/Spainsh from as far back as the colonial period. They are, bluntly, racist and have the gall to call everyone else (of any color) racist. I am appalled they (or any other racially motivated groups) are allowed to get "PC" treatment for racist groups.
Agree, and not to mention that they are the descendants of Cortez.
Did they not sack and conquered the Aztecs and central america?
So they try to play the role of the repressed, while themselves they have done worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2008, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Agree, and not to mention that they are the descendants of Cortez.
Did they not sack and conquered the Aztecs and central america?
So they try to play the role of the repressed, while themselves they have done worse.
I believe what happened was the offspring of the indigenous people and Whites (Spanish Hispanics) 'suffered' from the Stockholm syndrome.

Basically; it was/is a survival mechanism-------to embrace the dominant (Spanish) culture and make it their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2008, 12:46 AM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Nice try, amc. How does “anti” illegal equate to “hate” illegal? Have you been taking subterfuge lessons from blacknight?

One thing I must admit; you are relentless…..and creative. I love how you took the time to add special effects by changing the color of each “illegal” word. I only wish you had been able to animate your red, white and blue creation so they could flash intermittently. BTW, the fade-out in white was absolutely ingenious!

Go back to the drawing board, and with practice, you just may find that elusive “perfect” argument to support your illegal alien stance. I’m afraid this isn’t it; but again, very nice try.
This might be a shocker, but there ARE people who hate ILLEGALS.
Just because you say you don't doesnt mean nobody else does.

And I know how much it frustrates you guys when someone doesn't say ILLEGAL, ALIEN, INVADER, CUCUY, or whatever. Just accomodating your guys' needs


And saying "nice try" isn't the end to all arguments. I notice a lot of people on this board like to say that, as if someone was trying to be sneaky, but the other person was way too clever to have a fast one pulled over on them. But it doesn't end all arguments. If it did, there would be no debate on the issue.
"Immigration is a problem!"
"Nice try."

"Rising gas prices are making life hard!"
"Nice try."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2008, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
This might be a shocker, but there ARE people who hate ILLEGALS.
Just because you say you don't doesnt mean nobody else does.

And I know how much it frustrates you guys when someone doesn't say ILLEGAL, ALIEN, INVADER, CUCUY, or whatever. Just accomodating your guys' needs


And saying "nice try" isn't the end to all arguments. I notice a lot of people on this board like to say that, as if someone was trying to be sneaky, but the other person was way too clever to have a fast one pulled over on them. But it doesn't end all arguments. If it did, there would be no debate on the issue.
"Immigration is a problem!"
"Nice try."

"Rising gas prices are making life hard!"
"Nice try."
We were discussing the SPLC “hate group” list. I commented that most anti-illegal organizations make the list. You then posted the cutesy “But isn’t hating illegal ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL IILLEGAL .......immigrants still hating?” You didn’t qualify your statement; so who were you implying “hates” illegals if not the anti-illegal groups that were being discussed?

The assumption you made is that being “anti” somehow equates to “hate.” We are all aware of the fact that “some” of those opposed to illegal immigration feel hatred toward illegals; but your failure to indicate “who” you were referring to gave the impression (at least to me) that you were ascribing “hate” to the anti-illegal organizations.

I have no control over others’ use of the phrase “nice try.” However, I suspect most posters use it to counter BS. I used it because it was my belief that you were in fact attempting to obfuscate. If that was not your intention, I stand corrected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2008, 11:40 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I have no control over others’ use of the phrase “nice try.” However, I suspect most posters use it to counter BS. I used it because it was my belief that you were in fact attempting to obfuscate. If that was not your intention, I stand corrected.
That's my understanding as well. "Nice try" is a form of sarcasm. What it implies is that "I am aware you tried to make a false conclusion..to obfuscate..or to just plain pass off a lie as the truth. You TRIED, but you failed to pull this off, and nobody 'bought' your argument' "....

"Nice try", as I said, is sarcasm. It isn't REALLY nice...it's really just a very clumsy, very sloppy "try". It's what the cops tell the bank robbers when the getaway car won't start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2008, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
That's my understanding as well. "Nice try" is a form of sarcasm. What it implies is that "I am aware you tried to make a false conclusion..to obfuscate..or to just plain pass off a lie as the truth. You TRIED, but you failed to pull this off, and nobody 'bought' your argument' "....

"Nice try", as I said, is sarcasm. It isn't REALLY nice...it's really just a very clumsy, very sloppy "try". It's what the cops tell the bank robbers when the getaway car won't start.
It reminds me of Michael in "The Godfather” when he confronted his wife-beating brother-in-law. Remember when he said (to paraphrase), “C’mon, did you really think you could fool me with that little stunt you pulled on my sister?”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2008, 12:43 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
It reminds me of Michael in "The Godfather” when he confronted his wife-beating brother-in-law. Remember when he said (to paraphrase), “C’mon, did you really think you could fool me with that little stunt you pulled on my sister?”
Just a little sarcasm, once again....(it wasn't REALLY a 'little stunt', now was it?)..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top