U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 06:30 AM

105 posts, read 271,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
It may be legal (and it's been my impression all along that yes, it's all within the law). Still, it does bring up many questions....is this REALLY why these laws were written?.... What's the "point" of such laws?....what, exactly, is "our" (America's) relationship with the rest of the world..and what are our 'obligations'..to 'them', and to 'ourselves'?...and is America's 'job' to be a "shining beacon" to the world, or not? In what ways? For how long?

MANY interesting questions here....and a VERY interesting post. Thanks...
Hey thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 06:34 AM

105 posts, read 271,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
It isn't right, she is killing the "spirit of the law" which the politicians have twisted and made it into what it is today. It needs to be made clear that the law wasn't to be used for illegal immigrants but for the people of the U.S. So yes, its still wrong and their citizenships need to be revoked...
I agree, but what can be done? I feel as though something should be done, but feel that nothing will happen to prevent this.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:02 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,803,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
She came here to drop anchor babies, which is NOT the spirit of the law when it comes to citizenship by birth... is that more clear?
Is it illegal what she's doing? NO!! Legal is legal according to some of you on here.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
According to what many people say on here, all that matters is if its legal or illegal. Black and white.

It does show that if you have money, you can do pretty much whatever you want in this world.

Exactly, this just shows some posters choose when to see things black and white. As long as the U.S approves her visitor's visa to come here then there is no law preventing her from having a baby once she is here.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:19 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,853,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Exactly, this just shows some posters choose when to see things black and white. As long as the U.S approves her visitor's visa to come here then there is no law preventing her from having a baby once she is here.
This is true. However, I think you’re missing the point. Yes, she “legally” enters the country. However, her sole purpose for entering this country is NOT to visit; rather, she “deliberately” comes to exploit our laws for personal gain. This is not an isolated incident; women cross our borders on a daily basis to ensure they drop “anchor.” IMO, this behavior is reprehensible.

I realize in this “anything goes” society, “integrity” seems to be of little value. I guess I’m old fashioned because I still believe “intent” IS important. I simply don’t subscribe to “the end justifies the means” mentality. Obviously, this woman, as well as millions in this country illegally, not only embrace this mindset, they live by it -- and indoctrinate their children.

Furthermore, we have many enemies in this world. What would prevent citizens of countries wishing us harm, or wanting a “seat at OUR table,” from routinely sending their women to this country in a concerted effort to “produce” U.S. citizens? Have you ever pondered that? Who knows….we may already have unethically “produced” U.S. citizens in positions of authority in this country.

What may have the “appearance” of being an innocuous manipulation of our laws; may in fact be something much more nefarious.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:25 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,194,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.L. View Post
I agree, but what can be done? I feel as though something should be done, but feel that nothing will happen to prevent this.
Well I thought that some in congess-Ron Paul and others were working on a bill to clarify the 14th amendment. This is currently being misinterpreted and abused for the sake of illegals to have their babies here. While those here legally abuse it-the majority of anchor babies are born to illegals. Then they can receive public assistance, etc. and hopes of becoming a citizen without having to wait in line like the rest of the legal immigrants who are respectful and do it the right way.

This is disgusting how the 14th amendment is abused and misinterpreted. It was established to ensure that freed slaves children born in the USA were considered citizens and could not be denied that right. Now it ensures that people can come here-illegally or not-9 months pregnant and drop an anchor. Just terrible.

Nicolem

Old 06-20-2008, 11:33 AM

3,080 posts, read 9,719,321 times
Right or not, it is legal. It is the responsibility of the US consular official who approves her visa to screen out expectant mothers if they so choose. It's possible she is lying on her visa application, because I believe they ask if you are pregnant, however being pregnant doesn't necessarily bar you from being granted a tourist visa. If she demonstrates significant assets in Taiwan--husband, house, bank accounts, job--then she is unlikely to be denied a visa.

I sincerely doubt that she relies on public assistance to deliver her children, if she has the money to travel here to have them in the first place. Therefore, there is likely no taxpayer burden, and in fact a overall benefit for the hospital and health care system.

In fact, Taiwan has nationalized health care and top-rate hospitals and health care facilities, so it is probably MUCH more expensive for her to have her children in the US.

The children are US citizens and Taiwanese Citizens at birth. While the United States might not recognize their Taiwanese citizenship (which is based--by Taiwanese law only--on the nationality of the biological father), and Taiwan may not recognize their United States Citizenship--based on being born in the US by US law--the US WILL recognize their US Citizenship because they were born in the US, and Taiwan will recognize their Taiwanese Citizenship because their biological father is Taiwanese. As for other countries, they will recognize both the children's Taiwanese and US Citizenship, depending on which passport the children decide to present. A US passport is a much more effective travel tool than a Taiwanese one.

The mother is making a very smart choice based on the laws of the two countries, and maximizing her Children's mobility. I see nothing wrong with it, as her actions are not illegal and do not unduly burden either country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I realize in this “anything goes” society, “integrity” seems to be of little value. I guess I’m old fashioned because I still believe “intent” IS important.
So, by your logic, if an illegal border-crosser has the intent to work hard, and be a productive member of society, raise a cohesive family, and make a positive contribution to the society, culture, and economy of the United States--which you will find is the intent of the majority of illegal aliens--you agree with their actions based on intent, and your old-fashioned values will allow you to say that you condone their actions, despite their lack of proper papers, since their intent is good. Right?

Old 06-20-2008, 12:36 PM

20,134 posts, read 20,632,199 times
Quote:
Well I thought that some in congess-Ron Paul and others were working on a bill to clarify the 14th amendment.
I wish they would hurry it along. Until this is done this woman is not breaking the law. Perhaps more isituations like this will get the powers that be in gear.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Right or not, it is legal. It is the responsibility of the US consular official who approves her visa to screen out expectant mothers if they so choose. It's possible she is lying on her visa application, because I believe they ask if you are pregnant, however being pregnant doesn't necessarily bar you from being granted a tourist visa. If she demonstrates significant assets in Taiwan--husband, house, bank accounts, job--then she is unlikely to be denied a visa.

I sincerely doubt that she relies on public assistance to deliver her children, if she has the money to travel here to have them in the first place. Therefore, there is likely no taxpayer burden, and in fact a overall benefit for the hospital and health care system.

In fact, Taiwan has nationalized health care and top-rate hospitals and health care facilities, so it is probably MUCH more expensive for her to have her children in the US.

The children are US citizens and Taiwanese Citizens at birth. While the United States might not recognize their Taiwanese citizenship (which is based--by Taiwanese law only--on the nationality of the biological father), and Taiwan may not recognize their United States Citizenship--based on being born in the US by US law--the US WILL recognize their US Citizenship because they were born in the US, and Taiwan will recognize their Taiwanese Citizenship because their biological father is Taiwanese. As for other countries, they will recognize both the children's Taiwanese and US Citizenship, depending on which passport the children decide to present. A US passport is a much more effective travel tool than a Taiwanese one.

The mother is making a very smart choice based on the laws of the two countries, and maximizing her Children's mobility. I see nothing wrong with it, as her actions are not illegal and do not unduly burden either country.

So, by your logic, if an illegal border-crosser has the intent to work hard, and be a productive member of society, raise a cohesive family, and make a positive contribution to the society, culture, and economy of the United States--which you will find is the intent of the majority of illegal aliens--you agree with their actions based on intent, and your old-fashioned values will allow you to say that you condone their actions, despite their lack of proper papers, since their intent is good. Right?
Good question, but we all know what the answer is going to be.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:41 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,708,006 times
The only way that I can see any sort of 'amnesty' would be if Mexico indeed exploded in civil war---------and, such an amnesty would apply to Mexican nationals only.

Mach50 made a chilling post concerning his uncle fleeing SOB and; let's just say, Mach50 is onto something potentially ugly.

OTM's (Guatemalans, Salvadorians, Irish, Chinese, etc.) would still be out of luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration