U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 04:29 PM

105 posts, read 270,360 times

Advertisements

I heard of this situation through one of my friends...please give me some advice as to if you think it is wrong and if you think something should be done about it and if so, what?

Please note, I'm going to try to explain the best I can without offending anyone...if I do, I apologize.

I have a friend who is good friends with a woman who lives in Taiwan. This woman lives her life with her husband and family in Taiwan. Well, my friend tells me that when this friend from Taiwan gets pregnant, each time she comes to the US to have her babies, so that way they will be born here and when they grow up can choose if they want to be US citizens or not.

In my opinion, that is not right. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the people of the USA paying for her childbirth with tax dollars and whatever the hell else the govt. takes out of our paychecks? Plus! Um, I didn't get to CHOOSE which country I would like to be a citizen of when I was born! To me this situation just sounds screwed up and wrong....she is raising her family in Taiwan, why come here just to give birth? I'm sorry if I seem a bit ignorant on this situation. Maybe I don't know all of the details...as I said I don't directly know this woman....could someone shed some light here and let me know what they think of this? Is it right to do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 05:08 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,790,161 times
Well she is doing it legally and that's all that matters right?

Old 06-19-2008, 05:17 PM

219 posts, read 378,461 times
Who's paying for her babies to be born here?

Old 06-19-2008, 05:22 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
It may be legal (and it's been my impression all along that yes, it's all within the law). Still, it does bring up many questions....is this REALLY why these laws were written?.... What's the "point" of such laws?....what, exactly, is "our" (America's) relationship with the rest of the world..and what are our 'obligations'..to 'them', and to 'ourselves'?...and is America's 'job' to be a "shining beacon" to the world, or not? In what ways? For how long?

MANY interesting questions here....and a VERY interesting post. Thanks...

Old 06-19-2008, 05:23 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,314,290 times
Well, I don't think it is right but it sure is smart. American citizenship is one of the most valuable things in the world to have. Talk about giving your kid a leg up.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:25 PM

602 posts, read 1,735,067 times
Is she truly giving her kids some theoretical choice, or is she under the impression that the US recognizes dual citizenship? I've heard and read that we do not. If I'm wrong on that--and I may be--please correct me.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:51 PM

16,700 posts, read 18,913,643 times
It isn't right, she is killing the "spirit of the law" which the politicians have twisted and made it into what it is today. It needs to be made clear that the law wasn't to be used for illegal immigrants but for the people of the U.S. So yes, its still wrong and their citizenships need to be revoked...

Old 06-19-2008, 08:06 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,790,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
It isn't right, she is killing the "spirit of the law" which the politicians have twisted and made it into what it is today. It needs to be made clear that the law wasn't to be used for illegal immigrants but for the people of the U.S. So yes, its still wrong and their citizenships need to be revoked...
She is not illegal and it sounds like she comes here on a visitor's visa.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:12 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
According to what many people say on here, all that matters is if its legal or illegal. Black and white.

It does show that if you have money, you can do pretty much whatever you want in this world.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:23 PM

16,700 posts, read 18,913,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
She is not illegal and it sounds like she comes here on a visitor's visa.
She came here to drop anchor babies, which is NOT the spirit of the law when it comes to citizenship by birth... is that more clear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration