U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 05:50 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times

Advertisements

Refer to Post #136:

movin'on strongly suspected that her workers were legal.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:53 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,154,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky Cynick View Post
Aider and abetter of criminal actions if the man was and is an illegal, which he probably is since you said he charges so little.
No, actually the guy is just hard working. That's it. He has a full-time job during the week, and this state does the E-Verify thing, which means he is legally here. Besides, it is not so uncommon to be charged that in the neighborhood. I just consider it a bargain.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:58 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,213,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I support our US citizens (Black and everyone else) over a bunch of illegal immigrant lawbreakers-------need I say more?
Yes, hail for my fellow US citizens. I wish somebody could do something about the border patrols. Make the walls higher.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,328 times
It seems to be a common theme for people to say "Are you joking" or flame [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/members/mdonaldson-344913.html"]mdonaldson[/URL] for asking a serious question. I don't know why. White guilt? But his concern is valid. It's possible that sometime in the future the Spanish speakers could elect a majority in government and pass legislation they desire. Such as secede California as he mentioned.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:22 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erok713 View Post
It seems to be a common theme for people to say "Are you joking" or flame mdonaldson for asking a serious question. I don't know why. White guilt? But his concern is valid. It's possible that sometime in the future the Spanish speakers could elect a majority in government and pass legislation they desire. Such as secede California as he mentioned.
To be honest: it is much more likely that at least the northern tier of Mexican states may break away from Mx and join the USA.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:47 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,995,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
To be honest: it is much more likely that at least the northern tier of Mexican states may break away from Mx and join the USA.
Hows that again?

Old 08-13-2008, 08:45 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Hows that again?
I think it could go either way. Right now any Mexican who want "a better life" simply packs up and gets over to the USA so they don't work for a better life in Mexico, and leaving benefits no one but the individuals who leave. A "better life" can be just one where working isn't part of the picture and food stamps, WIC, Medicaid, housing and a fat welfare check make for a "better life".

However if we should start enforcing the border, begin limiting immigration from Mexico, then those looking for that better life will have some decisions to make. It's been done before -- the Texans did it.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:10 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,968,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I know at first blush this post sounds very ignorant and bigoted. It was not presented well, but the OP has a point. Since the vast majority of illegal aliens are Mexican citizens it is a valid discussion.

If you've been on the ground and witnessed this you will know what I mean. We are not talking about a few thousand here and there. We are talking about millions and millions.
If we LET our country become "hispanisized"(spelling?), it will happen. I don't want it - I like our current culture the way it is. Fortunately, for me, I'll be dead by 2050, most likely, when supposedly hispanics will be about 1/2 of the population of the U.S. if we LET this happen, and continue with illegal immigration.

The Mexicans have talked about Atzlan, and about taking over our country by "out breeding" us. It's no joke.

I think it all depends on what We the People do about it NOW.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:17 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
If we LET our country become "hispanisized"(spelling?), it will happen. I don't want it - I like our current culture the way it is. Fortunately, for me, I'll be dead by 2050, most likely, when supposedly hispanics will be about 1/2 of the population of the U.S. if we LET this happen, and continue with illegal immigration.

The Mexicans have talked about Atzlan, and about taking over our country by "out breeding" us. It's no joke.

I think it all depends on what We the People do about it NOW.

If we need immigrants, we need them to come legally but also be of a better mix. We need immigrants from many parts of the world, from many backgrounds, we don't need all our immigrants to be from just one country.

We need the old style immigration where people saw the beauty in "from many, one", where people could come from many countries and backgrounds and value a common language and become a new people -- the Americans.

What we're seeing is just a land grab. Mexicans coming here telling us this country is theirs now and that they will not learn English or our culture but we're to learn their language and culture.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:35 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
No, actually the guy is just hard working. That's it. He has a full-time job during the week, and this state does the E-Verify thing, which means he is legally here. Besides, it is not so uncommon to be charged that in the neighborhood. I just consider it a bargain.
And so then why are you making this an issue in an immigration forum? If he's here legally, who cares if the guy is Mexican, Norwegian, Latvian, or Martian? This isn't the anti-Mexican forum, it is an immigration forum. Those of us who post here aren't anti-one-particular-region illegal immigration. We are anti-illegal immigration, no matter what country that illegal immigrant once called home.

If your gardener is legal, good on him. I hope his business flourishes. If he's illegal, I hope somebody calls ICE, he goes home, and you get fined for hiring an illegal worker.

BTW, E-Verify is not error proof. Ever hear of identity theft? You know that people's Social Security numbers are stolen and sold to illegal aliens routinely, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or