U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2009, 05:56 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
Um, that is a flat-out lie. The Italians came to this country without legal papers. Why do you think such a derogatory term emerged for Italian immigrants??There were so many changes in who could enter the US legally and illegal, which at time was more racially based. There were also significant ethnic and religious limitations.
FYI: many a Euro White legal immigrant was rejected at Ellis Island prior to 1920 hence being forced to return home.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:09 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,103,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
FYI: many a Euro White legal immigrant was rejected at Ellis Island prior to 1920 hence being forced to return home.

Hello i said many limitation on religion and ethnicity DUH

Old 08-19-2009, 08:30 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,660,175 times
Quote:
Three big differences at work here:

#1: the Italians, Irish, etc. came here legally.
#2: there was a de facto moratorium in immigration from ca. 1920-65.
#3: Catholics are a group today; even in Latin America, are skidding towards/below (Spain and Italy) ZPG.....read that far fewer potential bodies to come here.

I suspect there will be another 'close/lock our borders' program.........read that tightly controlled legal immigration and harsh (by USA standards) sanctions against illegals/Anchor Babies.
Not to mention we don't share a border with Italy and Ireland.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:46 PM

812 posts, read 2,080,008 times
ote=28hertz;4344063]Hispanics WILL take over the United States. This is NOT a joke.
I live in Lake Worth, FL. This city and Lantana used to be predominantly Finnish communities. We have a Finnish library, Finnish consulate, a Finnish church, a Finnish nursing home, streets with Finnish names, Finnish shops, Finn Fest is held here every year, etc.

And yet, you can't get by on Finnish anymore. Spanish-speaking natives can coast by without learning English. They took over the culture of Lake Worth and Lantana and as a result, most of the Finns went back to Finland.

The United States is not "multicultural," it is "dual cultural," Hispanic and White American. The Haitian immigrants that speak French and Creole aren't accommodated nearly as much as the Hispanic immigrants. Nor are the African, Asian or European immigrants. It's a Hispanic monopoly and will continue to be so.

I don't care how "racist" or "politically incorrect" it sounds but illegal aliens are a threat to American culture, the English language and our values.

And don't EVER confuse "immigrants" with "illegal aliens." They are not the same! Immigrants legally come to the U.S. and at least make an ATTEMPT to learn English and somewhat assimilate into the culture.[/quote]

i guess america will be like brazil? landmass is connected to south america, lots of south americans in america. oh well

yes, i agree this dual culture is quite boring. i think it's laughable to turn on the tv and you just see majority white/ some black/ but all english speaking channels with hispanic channels. that's not multicultural nor sophisticated or worldy in the cultural sense. the rest of the immigrants have to order special programming like purchasing premium channels. there is all this worthless crap like espn 2, 3 and redundant channels and then all those pretty much worthless music channels but they don't want to add the different channels from around the world for all the different immigrants in america. for a country that touts itself a leader of diversity and all that, it's like pulling teeth. that's why america seems kind of half a farce.

Last edited by leaana; 08-19-2009 at 08:58 PM..

Old 08-19-2009, 08:53 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
Hello i said many limitation on religion and ethnicity DUH
As a nation: we have the right to control who immigrates here----------despite what certain ethnocentric groups may otherwise claim.

My father is a legal immigrant

Old 08-19-2009, 09:20 PM

9,972 posts, read 14,031,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
ote=28hertz;4344063]Hispanics WILL take over the United States. This is NOT a joke.
I live in Lake Worth, FL. This city and Lantana used to be predominantly Finnish communities. We have a Finnish library, Finnish consulate, a Finnish church, a Finnish nursing home, streets with Finnish names, Finnish shops, Finn Fest is held here every year, etc.

And yet, you can't get by on Finnish anymore. Spanish-speaking natives can coast by without learning English. They took over the culture of Lake Worth and Lantana and as a result, most of the Finns went back to Finland.

The United States is not "multicultural," it is "dual cultural," Hispanic and White American. The Haitian immigrants that speak French and Creole aren't accommodated nearly as much as the Hispanic immigrants. Nor are the African, Asian or European immigrants. It's a Hispanic monopoly and will continue to be so.

I don't care how "racist" or "politically incorrect" it sounds but illegal aliens are a threat to American culture, the English language and our values.

And don't EVER confuse "immigrants" with "illegal aliens." They are not the same! Immigrants legally come to the U.S. and at least make an ATTEMPT to learn English and somewhat assimilate into the culture.

i guess america will be like brazil? landmass is connected to south america, lots of south americans in america. oh well

yes, i agree this dual culture is quite boring. i think it's laughable to turn on the tv and you just see majority white/ some black/ but all english speaking channels with hispanic channels. that's not multicultural nor sophisticated or worldy in the cultural sense. the rest of the immigrants have to order special programming like purchasing premium channels. there is all this worthless crap like espn 2, 3 and redundant channels and then all those pretty much worthless music channels but they don't want to add the different channels from around the world for all the different immigrants in america. for a country that touts itself a leader of diversity and all that, it's like pulling teeth. that's why america seems kind of half a farce.
Well, on the West Coast, I've seen Chinese channels, Vietnamese channels, shows in Farsi, etc. There is a lot of Spanish language TV and radio because there is a huge market for it...If Russian was the second most common language in the US we'd be hearing that on the radio.

The thing is, once most Hispanic-Americans reach middle-class status, the next generation assimilates pretty rapidly-just like most other immigrant groups have in the past. I grew up with a lot of third- and fourth-generation Mexican-Americans in California and half of them barely knew Spanish as well as I do.

We will, for better or worse, have more Hispanic influence in our culture in the future--but to say that will become the dominant culture for the entire US isn't very likely. For one the majority of the wealth and power structure is still controlled by white Americans of European descent.

Now I'm not saying that illegal immigration isn't a problem that needs to be dealt with...

Old 08-19-2009, 09:36 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,299,865 times
As I wrote earlier, I live in an area in Northern Virginia where there are so many El Salvadoran illegal immigrants, you feel as if you are living in a foreign country. I love experiencing different cultures, but it is becoming extremely overwhelming and many people who live in this area are very frustrated by the Hispanics, because, for lack of a better word, they are not respectable. They congregate in front of stores, on streets and anywhere they can. None of them speak English, they are aggressive towards women, often in scary ways. I know, because I deal with this BS everyday. Even though I make a point of not saying hello to these guys or looking in their eyes, they harass me as if I were a prostitute! Often they do it with two or three kids in tow and a wife. They play loud music and do not care who they bother. They constantly get drunk in public and are arrested. This happens where I am almost every weekend. They litter the streets and leave garbage literally out on the grounds of the building. Every single thing has to be in Spanish and they do not even try to learn English. They have way too many children and cannot support them, thus draining social services etc. Most of the schools here have to have separate classes in Spanish it has gotten so bad. There is a group here that is always protesting against ICE and the raids. They want gentle immigration reform they claim. Not to mention the crime in specific areas here, most areas, is committed by illegal immigrants. Not all of the crime, but a good majority, as you can see if you read the local news here. I believe that people are just getting frustrated by it and can't take it anymore. I try to cope the best way I can, but I find myself becoming intolerant. It is hard to accept these people as they cause so many problems and bring up more issues. I think this is happening all over the U.S. and something needs to be done, what I am not sure.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:34 PM

76 posts, read 32,986 times
Quote:
Boot 'em all out!
We could boot you out back to Hungary. At least hispanics are indigenous to this continent. Europeans can go back to europe, even the half-gypsy ones.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:37 PM

76 posts, read 32,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
Yes, unless the U.S. government stops them. I have have seen whole neighborhoods, towns and cities more closely resemble Mexico than Anglo America, in just a few years time. The latter is exactly what's happening to California.
Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure native americans felt the same way when they were displaced by euro settlers. Human migration can't be halt, people move where the opportunity is. Simple.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:39 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,893,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbmon View Post
Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure native americans felt the same way when they were displaced by euro settlers. Human migration can't be halt, people move where the opportunity is. Simple.
Oddly enough you are wrong. It was stopped between East and west Germany. Stopped between North and south Korea. It can and should be stopped here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or