U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 10:36 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,030,761 times

Advertisements

My guess is it was thought that the italians coming intot hsi country would take over in the early 1900's too.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:26 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,658,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis09 View Post
I thought race wasn't a factor in all of this? So it is true that there is a fear of a less-White United States?

Yes it is true. I think we have more than enough diversity.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:16 AM

1,643 posts, read 3,643,743 times
Here, let them answer that question:

YouTube - La Raza Member Attacks Gene Green Townhall Attendees

Old 08-25-2009, 06:43 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
My guess is it was thought that the italians coming intot hsi country would take over in the early 1900's too.
Were there 20 million illegal Italian invaders that came over? There was no free lunch back then either such as welfare, etc. The immigrants back then came legally and assimilated. Not so with these illegal invaders of today.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:22 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,077,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Were there 20 million illegal Italian invaders that came over? There was no free lunch back then either such as welfare, etc. The immigrants back then came legally and assimilated. Not so with these illegal invaders of today.
Was their assimilation the reason why the Know Nothing party was started? No. The reason why is because of the same irrational fear displayed today. First generation immigrants often don't assimilate well if they are adults when they come here. That makes sense. I remember in Switzerland meeting first generation immigrants to Switzerland. The American lady spoke English more often than French since nobody could understand her in French.The Congolese family still ate food from the Congo...in their shop they spoke mostly Lingala.

By second generation, even with illegal immigrants, we see that they have become pretty assimilated.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:34 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,077,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
What I thought was telling was that NEITHER side wanted to cooperate. That the nativists (for lack of a better term) did taunt and goad the younger guy. The eventual outcome happened; a polarization of the two sides occurred. The vision I see for America is one in which we do have at least a public option of healthcare and a culture of cooperation.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:20 PM

11,287 posts, read 16,811,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
It took an Italian a small fortune and a major boat ride across a wide ocean to get here back then. It takes a Mexican a quick trip through a tunnel or over a sand dune to do the same now.

The US is probably the only place where the the first world directly borders the third world.

Just saying...

Old 08-25-2009, 03:54 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
It took an Italian a small fortune and a major boat ride across a wide ocean to get here back then. It takes a Mexican a quick trip through a tunnel or over a sand dune to do the same now.

The US is probably the only place where the the first world directly borders the third world.

Just saying...
All the more reason to close/lock our southern border.

Another First World nation with a direct land border alongside a Third World nation is Spain (Melilla) on the north African coast--------and, that group of Hispanics has it fortified.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:26 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Was their assimilation the reason why the Know Nothing party was started? No. The reason why is because of the same irrational fear displayed today. First generation immigrants often don't assimilate well if they are adults when they come here. That makes sense. I remember in Switzerland meeting first generation immigrants to Switzerland. The American lady spoke English more often than French since nobody could understand her in French.The Congolese family still ate food from the Congo...in their shop they spoke mostly Lingala.

By second generation, even with illegal immigrants, we see that they have become pretty assimilated.
I have no idea who the Know Nothing Party is. No, the fear displayed today is over illegal immigration in uncontrolled massive number from mostly one ethnic group. Your comparison to the past doesn't cut it. I am not talking about legal immigrants who come in from various ethnic groups. You are incorrect about Latino immigrants both legal and illegal assimillating very well into our society. I live in Calif. and Latinos of all ages are speaking strickly in Spanish all the time. That isn't assimilating.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:33 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,070,242 times
no not 20 million, but really we cant compare the immigration of then to the one of now. the process is completely different. coming here legally back then was equivalent to stepping off a boat, giving your name (even changing it if you so desired), undergoing a cursory health check, detainment for a week or so, and voila given citizenship.

but if you do still want to compare immigration from then to now, well back then the PERCENTAGE of immigrants was HIGHER than what it is now.

so if you think its bad, you would have left the country in flash back then. people couldnt stop complianing about italians. and irish. and polish. and chinese.

dam i really tried to stay away from this thread.its just so silly. i really did resist for a long time. but dam the trolls dragged me under their bridge!!!!

anyhow, invasion! pffff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or