U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 03:44 AM

202 posts, read 947,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Joke if you will but I heard years ago that this country is due to be 50% hispanic by 2010 or soon thereafter. Why do you think they're so lax on the 'immigration laws'? And the ushering in of NAFTA...
The census projection was 25% by 2050, but now it's at 15%

Old 06-21-2008, 08:25 AM

5,296 posts, read 4,969,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
OMG the US is gonna be 30% German and half European immigrants by 1950!!!
The Germans and Europeans didn't contribute to the downfall of our economy,they helped it!

Old 06-21-2008, 08:52 AM

8,376 posts, read 27,207,565 times
They said the exact same thing when the first wave came, that the immigrants are responsible for the depression, blah blah blah, then look what happened by the 50s. Look ma, assimilation! Admittedly this wave is a little larger and is more monolingual which is going to make the assimilation process a little slower, but it's happening. Actually, if you want to see a good example of a large assimilating/assimilated Hispanic (and predominantly bilingual/English preferred) population that still receives a lot of resentment (not so much locally but perhaps by those moving away), look at Weston and Pembroke Pines, Florida. Note the low crime rates and clean appearance. This general area is the first place I have seen where Hispanic residents are predominantly middle to upper middle class and blend in well with the rest of the population, although like I said, some will still continue to deny it because they do retain their culture and language. Miami is one of the first Hispanic "boom towns" so this inflow should come as no surprise if assimilation is actually working.

Granted, if you go IN Miami-Dade County there are still many isolated ethnic enclaves where people are xenophobic towards "anglos" and do not speak English. However, it's slowly but surely changing. All I know is my area is to Hispanics what Long Island is to Italians in the 40s and 50s, which proves that there is an assimilation process occurring. Personally, I like the people moving in better than the grumpy ex-New Yorkers who used to live here. It seems like a lot of the grumpy ones are moving to North Carolina.

And yes, there were illegal Europeans who worked menial labor jobs for less. I am not for illegal immigration but it's actually having a somewhat positive effect on the economy and keeping inflation from biting us in the ass more than it already is (although there is some evidence of stagflation that may or may not be associated with illegal immigrants). The most negative effects are to the taxpayer, which is enough to make me oppose it.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 06-21-2008 at 09:11 AM..

Old 06-21-2008, 09:09 AM

I'm not just saying it...I'm seeing it.
Was there a huge job shortage in the 50s because half of them were shipped out of the country and the other half given to anyone who would work for so much less than the natives?
I'm not blaming the businesses,hey you gotta do what you gotta do for your bottom line,but the whole 'smoke and mirrors' thing of everyone even the politicians pretending that this is a problem issue meanwhile letting things slip through the cracks at an incredible rate is just a joke.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:12 AM

Most of them didn't come in the 50s, most of them were beginning to assimilate by then. They came in the teens and twenties. Illegal immigration is a problem. Legal, legitimate immigration of people from Spanish speaking countries is not a "problem" as this country was founded on immigrants in the first place and our "bad times" have been laughable compared to most countries. New immigrants have always worked low-skill jobs for less money than so called "native" (which is another story) Americans.

Now, the shipment of our economy to Asia is a completely different story. But to blame Hispanics on that is just scapegoating.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:14 AM

Oh before the crash of '29?

Old 06-21-2008, 09:18 AM

That's my point, everyone conveniently used the 2nd wave European immigrants as a scapegoat because they were poor in high times, but there is nothing but minor evidence that they had anything to do with it.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:22 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
yes some heavy social changes goin on and you are aware of them
our society is becoming more competitive. there will be less place for positions of entitlement as time marches on. consequences for failure to meet obligations will become draconian. accountability will skyrocket.
the affect is we get a service class, a working class, a professional class and a ruling class, kind of like bees or ants. guilt and shame will play far less role in who gets what, we will cease to be so color coded.

pdclipart.com
free clipart

Old 06-21-2008, 09:54 AM

938 posts, read 3,569,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenofsix View Post
The census projection was 25% by 2050, but now it's at 15%
Actually, it's at 15% now.

The reason being is that the Hispanic population increased from 40,000,000 in 2000, which put then at 12% to 45,000,0000 in 2007, which puts them at 15%.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:06 AM

13,486 posts, read 29,434,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
This is so stupid. People like this really are ignorant. First of all, not all Hispanics are Mexican. Take Miami for example, it's hard to find a Mexican. Secondly, most Hispanics are hard-working people and come here for a better living, not to "not integrate" bull crap.
You wont help your argument by bringing up Miami. South Florida is like a third world country now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or