U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 04:39 PM

33,949 posts, read 32,385,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonaldson View Post
When considering the US government's failure to drastically reduce the influx of illegal immigrants coming from Mexico and the high fertility rates of Mexican women, both legal and illegal, will our country eventually be taken over by Mexicans and Hispanics? )
What do Puerto Ricans, for example, have to do with illegal immigration?

Old 06-22-2008, 04:48 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,417,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Uh ohs, all them thar hispanish speakin folk took er jerbs!!!!!
South Park FTW! But in any case, I have two problems w/ illegal immigrants. One, the economic and infrastructural wear they bring. I'm all of taxes to help those who are Americans and need it, but when it goes to individuals who aren't truly helping this country (and especially those who aren't even working), that's where my issue lies with them. And for those who even work, not to discredit their labor and intentions, but they're helping their bosses and company to save money more than anything else by accepting lower wages. The other group is the extremist prejudice they bring. And the worst part about it is that these racist illegal immigrants (and just Hispanics in general) are moving into places where race relations between whites and blacks are improving or are good in general (i.e. CA, AZ, NV, TX, etc.). If the extremists were heading to places where race is already a problem, I wouldn't care. A more minor problem is the lack of learning English. Don't get me wrong, I believe no one should be obligated to learn English (or any other foreign language), but when it comes to Americans who know English but are facing inconvenient circumstances (i.e. ordering at a Spanish-run fast-food restaurant, Latinos speaking Spanish to insult a person in front of their face, etc.), it becomes a bit invasive to say the least. If it wasn't for these problems, I wouldn't really care about the growing Spanish population. But due to the age we're living in where separatism and extremist ideas are embraced more than assimilation and unity, I just see little hope that I could move to a place that's predominantly Hispanic but can expect to be treated as an equal, be romantically involved with a Spanish female, and have the Latin majority live by a live-and-let-live philosophy towards me.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:52 PM

692 posts, read 2,372,618 times
I had the same fear so I married a really hot Mexican and started breeding.
Up here in Seattle there are so many mixed marriages that the schools
are an awesome example of how kids sometimes behave better than adults.
It ain't about race it's about people.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:16 PM

214 posts, read 970,123 times
You pretty much hit the nail on the head fairfaxian. I agree danco it isn`t about race but people.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:22 AM

6 posts, read 29,980 times
Unfortunately, for every rational, insightful poster in these topics, there are two crazy, racist, xenophobic ones. I hope a forum topic like this isn't a bellwether for the big world out there... I'd like to think instead that the internet can sometimes be a haven for the crazy folks. Something about the anonymity allows some people to just spew whatever ignorant bile laying inside of them.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:23 AM

2,441 posts, read 5,934,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam721 View Post
most of my stats are from shows like Lou dobbs, glenn beck, etc.
What a surprise . Lou Dobbs and former drug addict Glenn Beck are about as kookie as they come. Allow of their success is tied to them injecting unnecessary and exaggerated fear into the minds of normal people. Immigration is one of the topics, as well.

Hispanics are not going to take over this country. With every significant wave of immigrants there is always this odd fear by some other Americans that they are going to somehow "take over." Hispanics are one of the fastest, if not the fastest, growing ethnic group in this country. They are the largest minority group in this country, having surpassed African-Americans in the past 5 to 10 years.

It's extremely odd to me how people want to argue that illegal immigrants are taxing the system here in the US (working low-wage jobs, having low educational attainment, not paying taxes, and not speaking English), but at the same time argue that they're going to take over. You need power and money to take over. You need voting power to take over. Last time I checked, illegal immigrants didn't have the power to participate in elections.

I'm sure that the factoid someone threw out about the 2050 Hispanic population US hovering around 15 percent is going to go through one ear and out of the other for many on this thread. This in part by the fear-mongering of media outlets who have people believing that Hispanics will comprise 80 percent of the US population by Christmas (90 percent of them being illegal and militant). I would wager that most everyone on here now will be at least 60 by 2050. Many people arguing about how their lives will be turned upside by a Hispanic majority won't be alive in 2050.

I suggest picking up a new fear rather than occupying yourselves on how your lives will be turned upside down by generally hardworking people who want to do better for their families. I guess some people love to be afraid for no logical reason .

Old 06-23-2008, 06:32 AM

148 posts, read 568,382 times
Default Right, Kill the Messenger!

ANOTHER POSTER SAID: What a surprise . Lou Dobbs and former drug addict Glenn Beck are about as kookie as they come. Allow of their success is tied to them injecting unnecessary and exaggerated fear into the minds of normal people. Immigration is one of the topics, as well.

If you do not like the message that Lou Dobbs and Glenn Beck bring out on their TV Shows, do not watch them. But to say they are kookie makes you look silly. Why are they on TV making millions and you are in your basement typing away on your computer?

Old 06-23-2008, 09:03 AM

45 posts, read 175,695 times
I just wanted to chime in with my possibly unexciting opinion. I am the daughter of a legal immigrant and the step-daughter of an illegal immigrant turned legal. FWIW the nationality in question here is Cuban.

I really take exception to the idea that the hispanic population is, well...dumb as a box of rocks, or at the very least, uneducated. Both my fathers are/were intelligent men who supported their families well and led a fine example. My father is self-employed as a IT consultant and my stepfather was a chemist at Shell. My stepsiblings and half-sister are all either college educated or climbed the work ladder to upper-middle class employment - and busted their butts to get where they are. Oh, and although my stepfather was initially illegal, he did become a citizen later.

I'm probably about the "whitest" member of my extended family - maybe a toss-up between my half-sister and I. But I'm also probably one of the flakiest, financially. My stepsiblings are the very epitome of financial common sense (and stress).

It's true also that there are some members of my family that personify the hispanic/latino/whatever stereotype. They are also the ones who were born and raised in the inner city and I would wager they have much more in common with the residents of their yucky cities...whatever race...than with their family.

As for stealing jobs, I really don't see people rending their garments over the lost opportunities in the farm labor and factory sectors. Generally these days Americans turn their noses up at the working conditions and pay that an illegal immigrant will accept, and would do so whether or not illegal immigration was a problem. Get rid of the immigrants, and the employers will soon decide their labor expenditure is too high and move elsewhere or bump up the price on their product and then everyone whines about the increase in costs.

I can't comment on any other issue due to lack of experience, I just find the preoccupation with those breeding, dangerous, dumb, shifty, lazy mexihispanicatinos to be insulting and more about personal aversion. But, that's human nature. We all distrust and dislike some group of people that we're not familiar with; for example my family has its own distinct prejudices against certain populations and I was clearly informed when I started dating in high school who it would NOT be acceptable for me to associate with.

That's just my two cents. I'm really striving here to not be antagonistic towards anybody, even if I disagree with you. I just want to provide another point of view.

Last edited by Missmeamea; 06-23-2008 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: add information.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:17 AM

8,185 posts, read 21,745,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
Why are they on TV making millions and you are in your basement typing away on your computer?
Because they are shock jocks and controversy sells. It doesn't matter if it is Rush, Stern, the Colbert Report, All In The Family, Coast to Coast or George Carlin (RIP), et al., if it is in your face people will tune in - and that will sell advertising spots.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:20 AM

362 posts, read 920,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
now that is ignorant. yes, America (refering to the US) is made up of only white people, and so is Mexico, according to you? Smart.

I'm not implying it towards another minority bud!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or