Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 09:53 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times

Advertisements

Fuel costs sending immigrants back to Mexico | Top Stories | Star-Telegram.com (broken link)

"Some laborers, like Pablo Trinidad, resort to carpooling to reduce gas costs. But Trinidad, 40, says fuel prices decrease the amount he’s able to send to his family in Puebla, Mexico, from $100 to $50.

"If things get worse, I will work only to pay for my ride to go back home," Trinidad said.

Lower payments

Juan Jose Leiva, a native of Zacatecas, Mexico, is staying home more and visits the labor center only twice a week.

"Patrons [contractors] are not paying enough now," said Leiva, who plans to return to Zacatecas in November.

In Mexico, Leiva has no other option than to work in agriculture, a job that he said pays less than $100 per week.

"Despite a rough economy in Mexico, I’ve started to see more workers coming back. They get desperate and return," he said.

Away from the center, the situation is much the same for day laborers. Eddie, 23, a U.S. citizen, is learning with his father, Luis, how to solicit work on public street corners. They declined to give their last names because Luis is undocumented..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 10:52 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
The Law of Unintended Consequences at work here.................evidently; things are getting that bad for the illegals here in the USA.

Works for me and it is a humane way to force 'em out.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:56 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Fuel costs sending immigrants back to Mexico | Top Stories | Star-Telegram.com (broken link)

"Some laborers, like Pablo Trinidad, resort to carpooling to reduce gas costs. But Trinidad, 40, says fuel prices decrease the amount he’s able to send to his family in Puebla, Mexico, from $100 to $50.

"If things get worse, I will work only to pay for my ride to go back home," Trinidad said.

Lower payments

Juan Jose Leiva, a native of Zacatecas, Mexico, is staying home more and visits the labor center only twice a week.

"Patrons [contractors] are not paying enough now," said Leiva, who plans to return to Zacatecas in November.

In Mexico, Leiva has no other option than to work in agriculture, a job that he said pays less than $100 per week.

"Despite a rough economy in Mexico, I’ve started to see more workers coming back. They get desperate and return," he said.

Away from the center, the situation is much the same for day laborers. Eddie, 23, a U.S. citizen, is learning with his father, Luis, how to solicit work on public street corners. They declined to give their last names because Luis is undocumented..."
Quote:

"By logic, the Nation of Eritrea (pop. 3 million) should not exist. The secessionist province's independence fighters ought never to have defeated Ethiopia in their 30-year-long struggle. They were outmanned, outgunned, abandoned or betrayed by every ally; their cause was hopeless. They won by force of character, a unity and determination so steely not all the modern armaments, super power support or economic superiority of Ethiopia could withstand it. The spirit that saw the Eritreans through 10 years in the trenches of their mountain redoubt at Nakfa has built them a Nation from scratch; since independence was finally consummated in 1993. "The emergence of Eritrea as a working state in so short a time is a remarkable testament to self-reliance. ‘We learned the hard way," says President Issaias Afewerki, ... ‘that our own sense of purpose, our own unity succeed.’, our own organized capabilities were the only things that we could count on to. Alone in Africa, Eritrea carries little debt and accepts virtually no foreign assistance. Over the past four years, it has asked all but six aid providers to leave, including Oxfam and every religious organization. ‘Its not that we don't need the money,’ says Issaias, ‘but we don't want the dependence.’ Aid, he says, subsidizes but corrupts the government, blocks innovative solutions to problems, so that people do not seek out and use their own resources..."
This is the mind set that is missing in Mexico.

Self reliance - key to success

Old 06-20-2008, 08:40 PM

219 posts, read 425,293 times
Yeah!!!!!!!!

Old 06-22-2008, 08:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:

Lower payments

In Mexico $100 a week is very good money and since the average remittance is about $400 a month, it's obvious he should go home.

For the same money as he's taking from the USA, he can earn in Mexico and be there to help raise his kids.

Families broken apart by remittance fathers living far away and never being around to see their kids is not a good thing at all. Money isn't everything.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:55 AM

6 posts, read 17,308 times
Quote:

Lower payments

Not only is the ugly economic situation on the US sending immigrants away, but it's also sending away many US citizens. Like me. I'm on social security, from an accident, and believe me, I would rather spend your tax dollars, in a country where I can live like a king. I am not alone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration