U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 04:17 PM

307 posts, read 458,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
well homegirl is not really street jargon. its like girl. or baby girl. girl carries no negative connotation does it? unless you are sexist.

ese, is a cholo. i am not a cholo. you are basically calling me a cholo. that carries a negative connotation. a thug, a criminal.
If you feel it is disrespectful for people to call you "Ese" then you must show them the same respect when it comes to the term "HomeGirl", since they have the same sort of meaning and origin.

To begin with that’s YOUR definition of "ese". However MANY people do not have a negative meaning for that word. Further more many people define it as being in the same category as HomeBoy and HomeGirl. So the use of it to respond to your calling someone home girl is “tit for tat”.

If you don't believe me look at the following websites.

Of the half dozen or so definitions only one says it CAN be a negative word. Notice furether more that FIVE of them relate it to mean the same as HOMEBOY and thus also HOMEGIRL.

To top it off Benicar said he didn't realize it was offensive, APOLOGIZED, and yet you still question his sincerity.

Nothing Negtive here

List of Chicano Caló words and expressions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
ése
short for Sureño (lit. "that one", "that guy")
Here the questioner reffers to a movie, and that is also where I have heard the term.

What does the latin - american slang "ESE" mean? - Yahoo! Answers

Quote:
What does the latin - american slang "ESE" mean?
I heard it in a movie whre a guy said, "Hey, Ese" and just read it here in a uestion, what does it mean?

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
"Ese" is a word meaning homeboy, used by southside Angelenos, which is why it is also "S" in Spanish - for southside.
2 years ago

Heres another one giving it's origin, specificly relating it to HOMEBOY and 1970s California.

Free Online Dictionary
Quote:
(n) Spanish word meaning "that" or "that one", used for homeboy. Incidentally, in the 70's in California, certain application forms had the choices "black", "white", "SA" and "other" for ethnicity, where "SA" stood for "Spanish-American".
Heres the only one where they mention it might be offensive. Notice that the majority of people don't belive that is the case.

Urban Dictionary: ese

Quote:
1. esé 1379 up, 555 down
The one you are refering to. Should only be spoken by Mexicans, Cubans ect. Otherwise it's like saying ***** when your white.
Get outta here or I'll shoot your ass esé.
by Cody Martinez Sep 30, 2003 share this 2 comments

2. ese 833 up, 229 down
A fellow Hispanic, your close friend or homey, homeboy.
Hey, ese, I'm gonna let that little mamacita feel my latino heat!
by weave Apr 2, 2003 share this add comment

3. ese 480 up, 140 down
Basically means homeboy, dog, dude, man, or homes. Usually used by Mexicans.
(Mexican): Que pasa ese?
(Other Mexican): Nada ese. E tu?
by HotSauce May 5, 2004 share this 1 comment

4. ese 276 up, 104 down
What you call a fellow vato, basicaly means homeboy
whaddup ese?
Random

Last edited by RandomU; 10-03-2008 at 04:41 PM..

Old 10-03-2008, 04:32 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
If you think HOMEBOY is a controversial word, you ain't seen nothin ! Wait until you go out and ask around about hiring a HOUSEBOY !!......shEEEEsh !......you'd think I'd set out to insult people on PURPOSE !! I mean, GET a GRIP, people !!

From now on, I'm going to hire MY help strictly through the agency !!! Too many 'thin-skinned' people out there....

Old 10-03-2008, 05:25 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,993,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post
If you feel it is disrespectful for people to call you "Ese" then you must show them the same respect when it comes to the term "HomeGirl", since they have the same sort of meaning and origin.

To begin with that’s YOUR definition of "ese". However MANY people do not have a negative meaning for that word. Further more many people define it as being in the same category as HomeBoy and HomeGirl. So the use of it to respond to your calling someone home girl is “tit for tat”.

Of the half dozen or so definitions only one says it CAN be a negative word. Notice furether more that FIVE of them relate it to mean the same as HOMEBOY and thus also HOMEGIRL.

To top it off Benicar said he didn't realize it was offensive, APOLOGIZED, and yet you still question his sincerity.

Nothing Negtive here

Here the questioner reffers to a movie, and that is also where I have heard the term.

Heres another one giving it's origin, specificly relating it to HOMEBOY and 1970s California.

Free Online Dictionary

Heres the only one where they mention it might be offensive. Notice that the majority of people don't belive that is the case.

Random

It may not be listed as being "offensive", but it usually implies a gangster.
A long time ago, it wasnt so bad, but now its mostly said by thugs, and if you say "that guys an ese", its going to mean "hes a gangster".

I dont know why youre googling it when real Latinos will tell you that.

A lot of Latino-Americans are okay with calling each other "homie" or "homeboy" or if theyre that old school, maybe even a "homes". But I only see eses calling each other eses.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:41 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
It may not be listed as being "offensive", but it usually implies a gangster.
A long time ago, it wasnt so bad, but now its mostly said by thugs, and if you say "that guys an ese", its going to mean "hes a gangster".

A lot of Latino-Americans are okay with calling each other "homie" or "homeboy" or if theyre that old school, maybe even a "homes". But I only see eses calling each other eses.
Funny because my friends and I call each other 'homie' from time to time...........and, most of us are not Hispanic.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:43 PM

307 posts, read 458,111 times
Benicar has taken the position "I find Home Girl offensive so you shouldn't use it", and when confronted with The One saying "But I find Ese Offensive", Benicar promptly apologized.

The One on the other hand wishes to have it both ways. "The words I find offensive are offensive, but the words you find offensive don't matter and I won't apologize."

Does that not sum up the situation AMC760?

I am providing proof that in general use most people do NOT see either term as a Negative term AND just as importantly MOST do see "Ese" as a term equivalent and of the same origin as "HomeGirl".

To try to claim “Oh My, How dare you be offended. HomeGirl isn’t a bad word and you shouldn’t be offended if I call you one!” and at the same time to say “Ese is a bad word and I am SO OFFENDED!” is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post

Random

Last edited by RandomU; 10-03-2008 at 05:54 PM..

Old 10-03-2008, 05:49 PM

6,011 posts, read 6,725,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And the irony is that some Hispanics are Black themselves------Dominicans come to mind.
there are black people(not african americans since people think black stands for AA's only) in virtually almost all latin american countries.

its because of the US and american hispanics that pass off this stereotype that they all look a certain way. theres whites in all latin american countries too

Old 10-03-2008, 05:49 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,066,563 times
it really aint that serious.

many people use homegirl and girl interchangeably. like "thats my homegirl". "thats my girl!"

ese is interchangeable with what? a cholo. a thug. a gangster. thats what it connotes. but who cares.

i'll just add that to the list of words not to use here.

coon.
cracker.
kettle calling pot black.
homegirl.
babygirl.

dont want the race card thrown at me again.

sorry for the tangent mods.

can we just let this go everyone?
this thread is dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post

Nothing Negtive here

Free Online Dictionary

Random

Old 10-03-2008, 05:55 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,891,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
there are black people(not african americans since people think black stands for AA's only) in virtually almost all latin american countries.

its because of the US and american hispanics that pass off this stereotype that they all look a certain way. theres whites in all latin american countries too
And Asians (especially in Cuba, Mexico, Panama, Colombia and Venezuela). And Arabs. And Jews.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:29 PM

6,011 posts, read 6,725,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
And Asians (especially in Cuba, Mexico, Panama, Colombia and Venezuela). And Arabs. And Jews.
huh some/many jews are arabs, but most current isrealis are from europe

Last edited by city414; 10-03-2008 at 06:39 PM..

Old 10-03-2008, 06:48 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,891,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
huh some/many jews are arabs, but most current isrealis are from europe
There are large colonies of Ashkenazic Jews (from Eastern Europe) in Argentina, and there are also Jewish communities in Cuba and Puerto Rico. Not as many "Arab" (Sephardic) Jews comparatively though........In my post I was not connecting Jews and Arabs necessarily, just pointing out that there actually are Jews and Arabs in Latin America. Lots of Syrian/Lebanese people all over Latin America, and there are even Palestinians in Nicaragua - we had a thread about that around here somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or