Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2008, 10:16 PM

4 posts, read 6,093 times

Advertisements

I also feel the need to add that just because you grow up in a "poor" 'hood doesn't mean that you are not able to rise above what's going on in your area & become a better person. Personally, I feel that people are given the opportunity to succeed but they just don't grasp that opportunity no matter what the reason is(gangs,family,friends,etc.) Every one has opporunities to take control of their lives,they just choose not to do so. I grew up in a "poor & violent" ' hood in South Central. Does that make me a bad person or my family bad people? No! It doesn't at all. To top it all off Im white so I don't really blend in with the "normal" crowd of people there. I also lived in Mexico for most of my marriage(still married) in one of the most dangerous parts of Mexico at the moment. My husband is from Mexico,is bald,big & has tattoos. Does that mean that he's a gang member?!? No, I dont think so at all.He's a chef. He's a good person. People tend to judge people before they even know them. They just think," they're gang members, have tattoos & they're bad people." Every one categorizes people especially those men who look like my husband. Open up your eyes people & don't get in to things that you don't even know about to begin with. You may think that you know but you probably don't know at all. Is my opinion the right or wrong one? No, I dont think that it's either which is why it's an opinion. I just think that people need to stop putting Latinos in a category & stop blaming their parents or guardians. These kids know right from wrong.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:18 PM

At least you are honest about it & not lieing!

Old 10-01-2008, 10:20 PM

But this topic isn't about illegal immigrants. It's about gangs & people assuming all gangs that are "latin" are Mexican and people blaming these kids' parents.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:46 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,729,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jajajuarez View Post
You people are SO color blind it's unbelievable!!!!
Colorblindness is a good thing.....

Singling out people for discrimination based upon the color of their skin is not.

I think that anyone in this country illegally should go home. I carry equal opportunity antipathy for ALL illegal aliens, no matter what their country of origin.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:14 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,550,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
no its not. its about money and opportunities and resources and so many other things that disporportianately affect urban youth. that boot strap mentality is fine, and it works, i stand as that example, but it is not always the case and my cousins stand and rest as that example. these issues are really too complicated.

i appreciate the discourse going back and forth, but i urge everyone out there to get out from behind their keyboard and do something about the violence and poverty and death in our urban communities.

you dont have to march on washington. or anything grand like that.

become a big brother.
big sister.
donate books.
old labtops.
spend time at a park.
a rec center.
and for all those people who complain about immigrants not knowing english or other US custome/values, volunteer as a teachers aide with kids learning english.
donate money.
sports equipment.
become a religious youth counselor.
become a coach

did you know that rugby is being promoted in one of the worst cities in LA county!!! yes rugby with a bunch of black and brown youth in Hawaiin Gardens. the young womans team is already the southland champ and looking for a state title.

imagine that RUGBY IN THA HOOD

for all those who dont have "adequate" parenting. lets do somethign about it.

i urge all of you who decry what you think this city/state/country is becoming to be a part of the solution.

we all know if you aint part of the solution you are part of the problem.

its easy to speak about these issues from afar, but can you adress them in real life? i do my part so that not only my children, but my neghbors children, and those in neglected underfunded communities reach their maximum potential. do you?

I LOVE that rugby idea. I'd like to reproduce that in my area (NJ/Phila).

Old 10-02-2008, 01:28 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,633,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
I LOVE that rugby idea. I'd like to reproduce that in my area (NJ/Phila).
thanks. the problem with this board is that it is full of complainers and whiners.

not very many solutions.
well aside from the "send'em all back!!"

the rugby idea was a great solution in HG. google some articles on it. it can be a model to replicate in other urban areas.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:30 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,027,004 times
Quote:
thanks. the problem with this board is that it is full of complainers and whiners.

not very many solutions.

the rugby idea was a great solution in HG. google some articles on it. it can be a model to replicate in other urban areas.
The illegals are being 'sent back' as we speak.

Illegal immigration declines as U.S. economy falters - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081002/ap_on_re_us/illegal_immigration - broken link)

Old 10-02-2008, 06:17 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,510,236 times
Quote:

not very many solutions.

We have "solutions" -- they simply aren't what you pro-illegals want to hear. Anything short or "a path to citizenship" aka amnesty, will not suffice.

When you have a malignancy, you don't serve the patient iced tea and expect it to miraculously go away. You remove it, and do everything possible to prevent it from returning.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:25 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,633,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
We have "solutions" -- they simply aren't what you pro-illegals want to hear. Anything short or "a path to citizenship" aka amnesty, will not suffice.

When you have a malignancy, you don't serve the patient iced tea and expect it to miraculously go away. You remove it, and do everything possible to prevent it from returning.
i know you aint talking to me homegirl.

i give you guys plenty of tips on getting them darn irlegals!!!

all i hear from posters here, is send em back. sendem back.
i have a problem with that because...
that does not solve the problem.

you send 1 over and he just comes right back, but with this cousin.

and we aint talking about amnesty here. im talking about making sure that the economy does not take a big hit. that steps are put in place to teach citizens the law, and their rights. lots more that you guys can be doing to solve these issues, and propose solutions, but some posters here jsut like to post articles, with no intelligent discourse. just a bunch of parrottin back and forth.

i always try to move the conversation along. i just dont think some people here really know how to use thier words. they are a one trick pony.

ok. thats it.

and the only thing that is directed at you specifically is the first sentence.

the "o no you dunt!!" part.

so lets work on solutions to this problem.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:52 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,027,004 times
Quote:
i know you aint talking to me homegirl.

i give you guys plenty of tips on getting them darn irlegals!!!

all i hear from posters here, is send em back. sendem back.
i have a problem with that because...
that does not solve the problem.

you send 1 over and he just comes right back, but with this cousin.

and we aint talking about amnesty here. im talking about making sure that the economy does not take a big hit. that steps are put in place to teach citizens the law, and their rights. lots more that you guys can be doing to solve these issues, and propose solutions, but some posters here jsut like to post articles, with no intelligent discourse. just a bunch of parrottin back and forth.

i always try to move the conversation along. i just dont think some people here really know how to use thier words. they are a one trick pony.

ok. thats it.

and the only thing that is directed at you specifically is the first sentence.

the "o no you dunt!!" part.

so lets work on solutions to this problem.
Try again:

Physical barriers do actually work; along with an E Verify program nationwide and eliminating the Anchor Baby loophole (grandfathering in the existing ones as US citizens but parents would still need to leave) will force about 80% of the illegals out, trust me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.