U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 05:44 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,893,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
There's a protest. Imagine it....

Millions of Americans leaving their driver's licenses and passports in a pile in front of the White house. "No thanks, it's cheaper without'em."

Maybe that's what we need, lol. Everybody to renounce their allegiance to the United States, but continue to live here anyway.

hmmm, the wheels are turning....

-TT
You may be on to something and.... as crazy as it seems....that may actually be an example of one of the few effective methods of shaking this country awake!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 05:48 PM

338 posts, read 1,298,009 times
yeah...lucky you...your an American...aren't we the lucky ones? When we relocate...one of the BIGGEST incentives in a new job is our health insurance! What about all the retired Senior citizens that paid in all those years...and can't afford their medications? I like YapCity's idea of leaving all of info on the stairs...kind of like burning a draft card...at least you are a smart one...and now a healthy one

Old 01-12-2007, 05:50 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,365,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
You may be on to something and.... as crazy as it seems....that may actually be an example of one of the few effective methods of shaking this country awake!
Lord knows trying to reason with the politicians is like trying to tell a kid to eat his brocolli in a candy store.

I don't hate the illegals, they're just pawns.

-TT

Old 01-12-2007, 05:56 PM

338 posts, read 1,298,009 times
YAP-CITY-you are one smart dude!

Old 01-12-2007, 06:17 PM

504 posts, read 1,619,132 times
Illegals can go to the emergency room and get care but that's it, not for routine, not for prescriptions and according to health care people I know, they only show up for emergencies. They are not there for diabetes, thyroid, arthritis, just emergencies, or severe pain. so if the state pays for them with pre existing conditions it might stop so much emergency care. I know they show up to deliver babies but its probably cheaper in a emergency room than having the child on the street and no health care professionals available, this country will never allow babies to go without basic health care. I think it was Jefferson that said you can tell a lot about a country by the way it treats its most destitute people. May be a misquote but I love it just the same. Tonight I am unhappy, we are giving health care free to Iraq's, we are in a war that's taking away our civil rights's are putting out precious young men and woman at risk so we can have oil for our inflated vehicles and politicians and we are complaining more about people that need health care using our health care system while they work in jobs that big business is glad to give them expecting that the rest of us make sure that they have so they don't have to take care of thier medical emergencies. Time for all of us that complain to take it up with people that make it possible. Next time you eat a big mac, kentucky fried chicken , I could go on and on, I won't,you get it. May-be. This is one of the few times we have not voted our pocket books, are you willing to pay more food, clothes, housing , home repair, etc? If you are not than you need to accept the fact that we are going to have to keep the illegals here. Shake hands and get used to it.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:17 PM

431 posts, read 292,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I got first hand experience with the costs of medical care in May heathersmom. The final bill was just under $20,000. COBRA (Blue Cross Blue Shield in my case), whittled the bill down to about $10,000 and paid that. I ended up paying $75 out of my own pocket for the actual expenses. What was clear to me was that had I not been covered, my hospital bill would have cost me $10,000 more than it cost the insurance company, which means the insurance companies demand and get "cut" ( it's called a "negotiated rate") prices, but regular non-covered patients do not. If I had been illegal, I could have just walked in, been helped with the same quality of care, then left afterwards and not had to look back or worry about how I'd pay for it.
Legal or illegal - no one is turned away from medical care at a hospital in the United States. Americans fill up emergency rooms everyday, not just illegals. I don't like that tax dollars are used to pay for uninsured patients, but that's how it is.

You are 100% incorrect in stating that non-covered patients would have to pay full price for their medical care. Medical providers will negotiate their bill for services. You simply have to ask. They want to get paid and will work with anyone in assisting to negotiate a payment plan that meets the financial means of the patient. In many cases, a patient may be deemed as indigent and have no financial responsibility. In other incidences patients qualify for greatly reduced prices ~ up to 50% many times. Doctors LOVE to extend a discount for a patient paying cash for an office visit, for example. Cash in the bank ~ they do it everyday. So do hospitals. So do dentists. It takes an informed consumer to make that discount happen.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:15 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,692,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannie View Post
Legal or illegal - no one is turned away from medical care at a hospital in the United States. Americans fill up emergency rooms everyday, not just illegals. I don't like that tax dollars are used to pay for uninsured patients, but that's how it is.

You are 100% incorrect in stating that non-covered patients would have to pay full price for their medical care. Medical providers will negotiate their bill for services. You simply have to ask. They want to get paid and will work with anyone in assisting to negotiate a payment plan that meets the financial means of the patient. In many cases, a patient may be deemed as indigent and have no financial responsibility. In other incidences patients qualify for $greatly reduced prices ~ up to 50% many times. Doctors LOVE to extend a discount for a patient paying cash for an office visit, for example. Cash in the bank ~ they do it everyday. So do hospitals. So do dentists. It takes an informed consumer to make that discount happen.

We didnt have health insurance and my son had an emergency appendectomy, then had another surgery to get the rest of the infection out. He was in the hospital for 3 weeks. Our Bill, $69500.00 for hospital, surgeons and anesthesia and xrays. We had to go on a payment plan. luckily we had some equity in our home and gave them $30,000.00 and we are on a plan to pay the rest. We have to pay $400.00 a month. We do not have health insurance, we cannot afford it especially now. We have 3 kids at home. they wouldnt negotiate with us on the price, just gave us interest free payments. Illegals will get insurance, and we as americans cannot get it and get forced to pay or file bankruptcy. Guess thats fair! NOT!!!

Old 01-13-2007, 06:30 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,633,836 times
The fact that you had to use equity in your home to pay for your son's emergency surgery right there indicates the vast failure of the american health system. This has nothing to do with illegal immigrants (of which the majority of this politics board seems dedicated to painting them as 'non human' almost), this has everything do to with the broken healthcare system.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:52 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,490,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannie View Post

You are 100% incorrect in stating that non-covered patients would have to pay full price for their medical care. Medical providers will negotiate their bill for services. You simply have to ask. They want to get paid and will work with anyone in assisting to negotiate a payment plan that meets the financial means of the patient. In many cases, a patient may be deemed as indigent and have no financial responsibility. In other incidences patients qualify for greatly reduced prices ~ up to 50% many times. Doctors LOVE to extend a discount for a patient paying cash for an office visit, for example. Cash in the bank ~ they do it everyday. So do hospitals. So do dentists. It takes an informed consumer to make that discount happen.

People die in this country everyday because they don't have medical insurance.....They may go to an ER and be treated for a broken arm but not cancer.....and they wont get that heart operation they need after being keap alive in the ER without health insurance......You will have to try to find a hospital and doctor that will treat you yourself for free...some hospitals will help you to try to find the help...but not all of them will....

And most hospitals will only come down alittle on your bill if you don't have health insurance....not the same discount the insurance companies get... And how many people do you know that has an extra 100 thousand laying around for that emergency heart operation or 50 thousand as you think ? I do admit the hospital my daughter works for is a nonprofit hospital and they try not to turn anyone away but even they can't help everyone without insurance...and they do have to turn some away...but it is one that tries to help them find free help...

Old 01-14-2007, 02:29 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,365,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersmom View Post
YAP-CITY-you are one smart dude!
Well thank you HeathersMom

We could turn in our passports, driver's licenses, even social security cards....... we'd still have to actually PAY taxes though. I guess the illegals will always have us beat, lol.

-TT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or