U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 10:37 AM

16,701 posts, read 18,917,881 times

Advertisements

I rather we build a fence (as I am more forward-thinking than most people), put it under surveillance (more jobs for the unemployed!), and put a god-forsaken prison in the southern border of Arizona to detain all illegal immigrants for a minimum of 1 year (that way there is a dis-incentive for coming here illegally). I would change policies as well: 1) No more anchor babies 2) Sanctions on employers who hire illegal immigrants (first offense: 1k fine per person; second offense: 10k fine per person; third offense: loss of business license for 5 years)... that would deter and also prevent illegal criminals from crossing over...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 10:52 AM

15,082 posts, read 19,724,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
No wall or fence will stop everyone or everything, however, DOING NOTHING IS BLATANT SUICIDE, not to mention, STUPIDITY!
I never suggested we should do nothing. On the contrary, I said:

Enforce penalties against employers who continually employ illegal workers. Enforce those penalties HARD. Maybe even increase penalties. Start putting some CEOs in jail maybe. Let's see some Wal-Mart executives (a notorious immigration offender) in prison until they stop breaking the law.

Illegal workers are coming to the US in a flood, because people will pay them to work. Stop doing that, and the flood will slow to a trickle.

We'll still have a trickle of illegals crossing the border, but we can control a trickle without a cost-prohibitive, ineffective fence. No amount of fencing in the world is going to stop a flood.

Let me ask this:

Why don't we have a flood of Canadian illegals? Simple: Because Canadians have no reason to come to the US in droves. Mexicans do. Remove that reason, and the flood will stop.

The overwhelming majority of illegal Mexicans are coming to the US because they want a better life for themselves. It's hard to blame them. But if our system is set up to provide that for them illegally, they aren't going to stay in their own country and fight for a better life in their own country. Why would they, when a trip across the border is a better option? So FIX THE SYSTEM. A wall or fence might help a bunch of irate folks feel better and waste billions of dollars, but it isn't going to do a blankity-blank thing to fix the problem.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:00 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,397,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I never suggested we should do nothing. On the contrary, I said:

Enforce penalties against employers who continually employ illegal workers. Enforce those penalties HARD. Maybe even increase penalties. Start putting some CEOs in jail maybe. Let's see some Wal-Mart executives (a notorious immigration offender) in prison until they stop breaking the law.

Illegal workers are coming to the US in a flood, because people will pay them to work. Stop doing that, and the flood will slow to a trickle.

We'll still have a trickle of illegals crossing the border, but we can control a trickle without a cost-prohibitive, ineffective fence. No amount of fencing in the world is going to stop a flood.

Let me ask this:

Why don't we have a flood of Canadian illegals? Simple: Because Canadians have no reason to come to the US in droves. Mexicans do. Remove that reason, and the flood will stop.

The overwhelming majority of illegal Mexicans are coming to the US because they want a better life for themselves. It's hard to blame them. But if our system is set up to provide that for them illegally, they aren't going to stay in their own country and fight for a better life in their own country. Why would they, when a trip across the border is a better option? So FIX THE SYSTEM. A wall or fence might help a bunch of irate folks feel better and waste billions of dollars, but it isn't going to do a blankity-blank thing to fix the problem.
I agree 1000%. The ONLY way to really stop the illegal Mexican invasion is to FORCE the scumbag employers of illegals to stop hiring illegal Mexcian scabs. Sanctions law at the states level seem to be the best bet. However, sanctions laws are worthless without UNIVERSAL MANDATORY E-VERIFICATION. Without mandatory e-verification, even if the fine is $100,000 per illegal, an employer can and always does simply say 'duh, I didn't know the illegals fake papers were fake". That's why when we have all of these raids you never see an employer charged. With mandatory e-verification, when an employer is caught hiring an illegal, THEY'RE CAUGHT. Period.

By the way, the fence that el presidente jorge is building isn't the double layer fence with a 2 lane highway down the middle for the BP like they have at San Diego, which works really well, and which was originally mandated by law. What jorge is having built is just a single layer, not too high fence that an illegal alien can easily get through with a hacksaw. Jorge is betraying the American public once again, so he can say that he 'baylt theh daym fayence', knowing full well that the fence he's building wouldn't stop sh*t.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:54 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Again: A tiny border compared to the U.S./Mexico border, and one guarded by hundreds of troops and the best weaponry in the world.

Do we really want 40,000 army troops using their time and our tax dollars to keep out cheap labor? A needless waste of their time and our money.

Start enforcing penalties against employers who hire illegals. THAT is the heart of the problem right there. If illegals know there are no jobs waiting for them, the flood across the border will slow to a trickle. A trickle we can control (without a silly fence). No fence is going to stop the current flood.

And really, until Mexico becomes a military dictatorship stuffed full of nuclear missiles, the North and South Korea comparison is pretty well unfounded.
I have no problem with 40,000 well armed US soldiers on the southern border.
Benefits:
1. Drastic reduction in illegals.
2. Drastic reduction in illegal narcaotics
3. Drastic reduction in flow of illegal weapons
4. Next time mexico uses its military to support drug smugglers they will meet more than their match.
I agree nail the employers of illegals. This would include everyone from employers of 1 to any number of maids, lawn care, construction and agriculture.
I also feel we should nail any banks who knowingly do business with illegals.
Any landlords who rent to them.
Any healthcare provider who doesn't report them. Why? Because they are potentially exposing our children to disease they would normally be protected from.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:15 PM

15,082 posts, read 19,724,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I have no problem with 40,000 well armed US soldiers on the southern border.
Really? Then may I suggest you do two things:

1.) Demand an immediate tax increase to pay for it.

2.) Enlist.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:19 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
fence should have been done long time ago. 80% of all illegal immigration comes thru san ysidro. the political pressure not to complete is enormous. its not about the spotted owl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or