U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 04:49 PM

15,181 posts, read 9,468,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You're quite correct, in the everyday sense. They'd NEVER do anything like that, unless they had a compelling REASON to.....Then, I'm sure you'd agree. they'd HAVE to do it......
But of course!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 11:28 PM

5,853 posts, read 2,520,547 times
Quote:
Would you support random TRAFFIC STOPS to identify Illegal Immigrants?
Absolutely. Most, if not all, illegal aliens also do not have valid driver's licenses. They are a danger to other legal drivers and should be taken off the road as well as deported for breaking our laws, for which they do not feel compelled to respect or obey.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:21 AM

12,048 posts, read 8,451,175 times
Random traffic stops? Simply to check immigration status? How would that work?

Nothing, in general, that a typical person carries on his or her person proves that he or she is a citizen.

There is no nationwide citizenship ID card that I am aware of. How would the stop be executed? What would he be looking for? A heavy accent? A "difference" in appearance? How about a question and answer session where he asks citizenship related questions? What if you got one wrong?

POLICE: [Lights on] "Pull over...!"
ME: "Uh, hello..."
POLICE: Are you a citizen?"
ME: "Yes."
POLICE: "Can you prove it?"
ME: "Can you prove I'm not?"
POLICE: "Ummm..."
ME: "Bye..."

Too many questions, no answers.

Let's give the Border Patrol the tools and knowledge to do their job at the border, penalize employers who knowingly hire illegals, and cut the easy access to benefits that illegals have.

Do those things first and make those solution work; if they don't, then maybe we can talk about random traffic stops. What's next, random pedestrian stops on the sidewalk or other similar public place? Soon they'll be knocking on our doors at all sorts of crazy hours.

I don't think so.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:53 AM

608 posts, read 610,950 times
You'll pay for it either way. In "handouts" as you say or in services to perform the random traffic stops. Not to mention the time and gas you are burning while waiting to pass through said traffic stops.

Against! We already have random traffic stops on major high ways just north of our southern borders. Great success they are aren't they?!?! Another poster mentioned technology... let's use it!

Old 06-29-2008, 02:56 AM

Exactly "old Germany" not present time. I have been in Germany for a year now. Even many of the older Germans that I have spoken to admit they have learned from the past. Stop the insanity.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:21 AM

148 posts, read 421,984 times
Default If States would not give Drivers Licenses to ILLEGALS..

If it was impossible to get a Drivers License if you were an illegal immigrant, then as the Police pulled people over for immigration checks they could be arrested for driving without a license. Once they arrive at the Police Station for booking each arrested person could be checked for legal status at that time. Simple as that.

Everyone regardless of race who has no drivers license would be arrested and booked in jail, no racial profiling.

Of course there are a few people who would slip through the cracks but they would use the same databases used to check immigration status at prisons/jails and E-Verify for employment.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:59 AM

19,460 posts, read 10,242,752 times
No issue with it, same as DUI check points. Proof of citizenship? Ah a valid drivers licence, green card etc. But a valid point was made. We do need a national ID Card.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:47 PM

243 posts, read 55,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
In my community the police stop people at random on weekends to check for drunk drivers. The people may not even be driving all that bad they just happened to drive past an active traffic stop.

What about stopping people at random on streets and ask them for ID. This would be done regardless of appearance or race because illegal aliens could be from a variety of countries.

Some people would say it is similar to old Germany where people would be asked for their papers. But others say it is no different than stops for drunk drivers.
No, I would not support this simply becuase almost all hispanic looking people will be stopped even though most of them are legal. And you dont at a green card until you become a resident, and that took me 7 years. Also like rasta said, a license can expire after your visa, so this wouldn not work.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:10 PM

539 posts, read 1,173,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta empress View Post
How do random traffic stops with a request for ID determine one's legal status? I am on a valid visa but if I were to overstay my visa and thus become an illegal alien (I have no intentions of doing so for the record) I am still in possession of a driver's license which is valid until 2010, 2 years longer than the validity of my visa.

No one walks around with their passport and other papers as those are documents that should be stored safely to prevent them being lost or misplaced. In fact even an expired visa in one's passport is no indication of one's legal immigration status as a visa is merely for entry purposes, one's I-94 card governs the length of stay (or one's I-20 form if one is a student).
Really? You have an actual drivers license valid for 2 years after your'e set to leave? That's ridiculous on the governments part. Why not just until your visa is up? Thanks for the example of our government's ineptness.
total_genious - Sure, why not. Most of the time we're just waved through the road blocks anyway. Your method of implimenting the process could work.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblackjohn View Post
Really? You have an actual drivers license valid for 2 years after your'e set to leave? That's ridiculous on the governments part. Why not just until your visa is up? Thanks for the example of our government's ineptness.
total_genious - Sure, why not. Most of the time we're just waved through the road blocks anyway. Your method of implimenting the process could work.
It is pretty obvious our governments do not synchronize databases or take advantage of technology. States issue Driver's licenses & US Govt issue Visas. The disconnect is among our various governing bodies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration