U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-01-2008, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Major Metro
1,083 posts, read 2,059,532 times
Reputation: 353

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
I am totally against stopping the masses to catch and apprehend a few. DUI checkpoints, while they do nab a few people, does not deter, remedy or eradicate the problem at large. People are still drinking and driving and will continue to do so.

As for the bolded portion of your statement, let's get real here..Do you really think the cops are going to stop a blue eyed white male or female walking on the street? (No offense to anyone). As much as I hate to say this, racial profiling will be the key ingredient and impetus for these stops.

I'm not willing to relinquish my freedom of movement nor carry around papers to prove that I belong here.
Agree! The amount of abuse that random traffic stops would create as well as the administrative nightmare would wreak havoc in terms of the litigation and increased manpower associated with this change. I also see more race riots and increased racial tension as a whole. I for one am not interested in creating a police state where people can be stopped for any reason just to nab a few people. We're already giving up too much of our freedom for the sake of a few. If illegal immigrants can work around the border issue and work around being able to get a job in this country, they can work around this too so it's the US citizens or others eligible to live here that look foreign or minority that would be the ones stuck with this inconvenience. I'd love to see a poll on how many supporters of this proposal are minority vs. non-minority. I think the difference would speak volumes about how much each group would trust police to administer something like this fairly. Besides all of this, it sounds like more of my taxpayer's dollars increasing for very little in return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2008, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Northern VA (for now)
23,000 posts, read 31,942,334 times
Reputation: 30372
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Absolutely. Most, if not all, illegal aliens also do not have valid driver's licenses. They are a danger to other legal drivers and should be taken off the road as well as deported for breaking our laws, for which they do not feel compelled to respect or obey.
But how would you figure out who is illegal if you get a license from a state, like Maryland, who gives them out without proof of legal presence?

Besides any jurisdiction who did this would waste serious dollars defending lawsuits filed because of racial profiling. I'm staunchly anti-illegal, but this approach is too undermining to liberty.

I support catching illegals this way. Arrest them for a crime they commit then run their legal status regardless of color or whatever. That way they can't cry racial profiling because their status would not have been checked if they didnt commit that crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2008, 02:50 PM
 
16,092 posts, read 35,775,631 times
Reputation: 6264
1/3 of the drivers here have no insurance and are costing the rest of us big time - also about the same number have fraudulent emission inspection stickers costing us big time with air pollution.

What's wrong with seeing who is complying and who isn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2008, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
But how would you figure out who is illegal if you get a license from a state, like Maryland, who gives them out without proof of legal presence?

Besides any jurisdiction who did this would waste serious dollars defending lawsuits filed because of racial profiling. I'm staunchly anti-illegal, but this approach is too undermining to liberty.

I support catching illegals this way. Arrest them for a crime they commit then run their legal status regardless of color or whatever. That way they can't cry racial profiling because their status would not have been checked if they didnt commit that crime.
It can be managed as a DUI check point is managed. We know where the high concentration of illegals tend to gravitate. Set up the check point. Stop every car regardless of race etc. Those with out of state licences may get the pass unless after a period of time they keep getting snagged in which case most states have laws around transfering your licence to their state within a period of time. Also out of state status can also be checked by verifying the address is accurate. If not then they are popped for failure to change address which can lead to the illegal status bust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2008, 05:30 PM
 
25,334 posts, read 37,463,648 times
Reputation: 13249
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
In my community the police stop people at random on weekends to check for drunk drivers. The people may not even be driving all that bad they just happened to drive past an active traffic stop.

What about stopping people at random on streets and ask them for ID. This would be done regardless of appearance or race because illegal aliens could be from a variety of countries.

Some people would say it is similar to old Germany where people would be asked for their papers. But others say it is no different than stops for drunk drivers.
I'm a foreigner and legally here and wouldn't mind to be stopped to show my papers, if that makes it safer. I would like to see that in my native Country as well. We have so many illegal muslims who are criminals and no good, so I'm all for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2008, 10:34 PM
 
Location: Southern California
15,088 posts, read 16,929,513 times
Reputation: 10273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
1/3 of the drivers here have no insurance and are costing the rest of us big time - also about the same number have fraudulent emission inspection stickers costing us big time with air pollution.

What's wrong with seeing who is complying and who isn't?
There is nothing wrong with verifying compliance with pollution and insurance requirements. But the issue being discussed regards illegal immigration. While there are tests for verifying compliance with the former there are none for verifying the latter. Until there is a reliable test for verifying one's immigration/citizenship status, any question regarding citizenship can be defeated by simply saying, "Yes, I am a citizen," because it is currently not possible, during a traffic stop, to prove otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2008, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Southern California
15,088 posts, read 16,929,513 times
Reputation: 10273
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
It can be managed as a DUI check point is managed. We know where the high concentration of illegals tend to gravitate. Set up the check point. Stop every car regardless of race etc. Those with out of state licences may get the pass unless after a period of time they keep getting snagged in which case most states have laws around transfering your licence to their state within a period of time. Also out of state status can also be checked by verifying the address is accurate. If not then they are popped for failure to change address which can lead to the illegal status bust.
So? I didn't do that and I'm a citizen. Besides, as long as the government has a mailing address, including a post office box, to contact me with tickets, tax bills, and other government-to-individual and individual-to-government obligations, they don't need to know where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top