Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 03:54 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times

Advertisements

We don’t need random traffic stops; we need accountability, and our government employees to perform the duties for which they are being paid.

We have the technology to successfully send rockets and astronauts into outer space; the technology to detect items as minute as a chewing gum wrapper on the ground in Moscow from a Langley, VA office of the CIA; the technology to strike a target in Iraq with absolute precision, from a ship in the Indian Ocean……yet, we don’t have the technology to maintain accurate records of those entering our country on visas, or to accurately distinguish between valid and bogus social security numbers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 04:03 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I didn't know foreigners were dangerous.
Some are. Some aren't. Not ALL Americans are narrow-minded bigots....and not ALL foreigners are noble, hard-working 'family types'. There will always be a FEW 'good' Americans, and a few 'dangerous' foreigners. You can't rely totally on popular opinion. Sometimes you need an 'exception' to prove the 'rule'.

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
We don’t need random traffic stops; we need accountability, and our government employees to perform the duties for which they are being paid.

We have the technology to successfully send rockets and astronauts into outer space; the technology to detect items as minute as a chewing gum wrapper on the ground in Moscow from a Langley, VA office of the CIA; the technology to strike a target in Iraq with absolute precision, from a ship in the Indian Ocean……yet, we don’t have the technology to maintain accurate records of those entering our country on visas, or to accurately distinguish between valid and bogus social security numbers?
I agree. And as you know of course we have the technology-our government just refuses to implement such a system.

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
I understand that. But for me...and many others as you can see by the postings...are not willing to give up our rights as Americans. We need to find another solution that does not trample on our rights as US citizens.
I suppose we have put ourselves in this situation because we did not stand up against the illegals long ago. It is always the case that the law breakers ruin it for the majority.
But it needs to be stopped. They not only take jobs from us they also send the majority of the money they make back home.
So it does not even stay in our economy where we really need it.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:04 PM

218 posts, read 437,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I agree. And as you know of course we have the technology-our government just refuses to implement such a system.
I wonder why.

You don't suppose it has anything to do with vote selling and/or pandering do you?

Old 06-25-2008, 04:11 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Costume View Post
I wonder why.

You don't suppose it has anything to do with vote selling and/or pandering do you?
But of course not

I am pretty sure lobbyists had nothing to do with it either

Old 06-25-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Costume View Post
I wonder why.

I doubt it very much. I think it has more to do with the fact that "There are No Illegal Humans".....and that "YOUR Ancestors Came Here".....and that "Europeans are the REAL illegals"....and the fact that "Family Values Don't End at the Rio Grande"...

At least, I hear THESE reasons a lot more often than I hear the "pandering" stuff...

Old 06-25-2008, 04:18 PM

106 posts, read 307,213 times
How do random traffic stops with a request for ID determine one's legal status? I am on a valid visa but if I were to overstay my visa and thus become an illegal alien (I have no intentions of doing so for the record) I am still in possession of a driver's license which is valid until 2010, 2 years longer than the validity of my visa.

No one walks around with their passport and other papers as those are documents that should be stored safely to prevent them being lost or misplaced. In fact even an expired visa in one's passport is no indication of one's legal immigration status as a visa is merely for entry purposes, one's I-94 card governs the length of stay (or one's I-20 form if one is a student).

Old 06-25-2008, 04:19 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
But of course not

I am pretty sure lobbyists had nothing to do with it either
That would be unethical; and we know they would NEVER do anything like that.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
That would be unethical; and we know they would NEVER do anything like that.
You're quite correct, in the everyday sense. They'd NEVER do anything like that, unless they had a compelling REASON to.....Then, I'm sure you'd agree. they'd HAVE to do it......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration