U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 02:09 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
So how are you supposed to prove citizenship? Carry your passport, birth certificate or naturalization certificate with you at all times?

Like I said, ICE have a job to do. But arresting and holding citizens for 30 hours is way too excessive. There needs to be some serious questioning of their process and maybe the attitudes of certain agents.
You would think so, I agree. Holding those who 'might' be lawbreakers for hours at a time WOULD be excessive, under normal circumstances. However, if the situation had been neglected for 15 or 20 years, and the number of lawbreakers (of whatever law) had grown to the point that it was now in the multiple millions, then it may no longer be 'normal circumstances'. Perhaps a year or so of "catch-up" might be neccessary in order to reduce this excessive number to a 'normal' number.

I still doubt the straight 'racial profiling' charge, too. My own spouse (and many of my family), fits the illegal-immigrant 'racial profile' perfectly, and she has yet to be profiled. SOMETHING other than race must be at work here. Obviously, 'profiling' is going on...but it's not racial.

This is a good example of benign neglect. Had we been a little FIRMER, 20 years ago, and made ourselves clear...that our border was a REAL border, and our laws were REAL laws, and not a "joke"..then perhaps millions of illegals who are here today, and are ANGRY at us..wouldn't be here at all...and wouldn't be angry, either. Sometimes being a "nice guy" doesn't work. Neither does being a "nice country". In an effort to be 'nice' in the past, (during which we 'amnestized' a upwards of three million illegals) we now find that the result of our 'niceness' wasn't gratitude...wasn't even respect. It was more like resentment, a sense of entitlement, and outright anger. So much for the "soft" approach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 02:10 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
Why do you guys always use an example of a person fitting the description of a specific individual in a specific crime being profiled, to profiling people by race of a wider issue?

It's disgusting that you support racial profiling. It's unAmerican. There's a lot of crimes in this country that are mostly committed by non-Hispanics. Do we just start profiling everyone by race for the crime mostly committed by that race?
It doesn't affect you since we're talking about "Mexicans" and "Hispanics" here. But if it did, I'm sure youd be singing a different tune. It's always easier to volunteer giving up the rights of other people.
When did “Mexican” and “Hispanic” become a race? Apparently, I missed that memo. The last time I checked, Mexican can be ANY race, just like American can be any race. I personally know both black and white “Hispanics.” How do you differentiate?

BTW, my son is half “Hispanic” so you can put away your race card.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:33 PM

32,800 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
So how are you supposed to prove citizenship? Carry your passport, birth certificate or naturalization certificate with you at all times?

Like I said, ICE have a job to do. But arresting and holding citizens for 30 hours is way too excessive. There needs to be some serious questioning of their process and maybe the attitudes of certain agents.
As of 2008, 24 states have stop and identify laws. Not having ID on you is not a good idea. I carry ID ALL of the time when I'm out of the house if for nothing else to notify my wife if I get hit by a car and someone finds me.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:43 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
As of 2008, 24 states have stop and identify laws. Not having ID on you is not a good idea. I carry ID ALL of the time when I'm out of the house if for nothing else to notify my wife if I get hit by a car and someone finds me.
Isn’t that the truth! I NEVER leave the house without ID. Even if I am only taking a walk, I carry my driver’s license in my pocket.

The program I watched last night (true story), they found the skeletal remains of a missing man in the woods. Fortunately, he had ID in his backpack, and they were able to tentatively identify him and notify his mother. Of course, they had to wait for his dental records to positively identify him; but had he not had ID he would probably simply be a John Doe buried in a state grave, and his mother would never have had closure.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:10 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Isn’t that the truth! I NEVER leave the house without ID. Even if I am only taking a walk, I carry my driver’s license in my pocket.

The program I watched last night (true story), they found the skeletal remains of a missing man in the woods. Fortunately, he had ID in his backpack, and they were able to tentatively identify him and notify his mother. Of course, they had to wait for his dental records to positively identify him; but had he not had ID he would probably simply be a John Doe buried in a state grave, and his mother would never have had closure.
It is imperative that we carry I.D. with us at all times. You have given a good reason why above.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:48 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Ummm...you DO realize that Benicar is African American, right? "Hispanics" are in the little leagues comparatively when it comes down to racial profiling.
To hear la raza say it: American Blacks are the same as 'Anglo Whites'.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:49 PM

By the way, everyone...not to change the subject..but this harkens back to some of my posts a year or two ago. I seem to remember stating that if we didn't "get our house in order", the day may arrive when we lose certain of our rights, as someone 'up there' offers to step in and 'do the job FOR us'.

DECADES of neglect of the illegal immigration 'elephant' have now produced a society in which we really CAN'T assume everyone belongs here, at all. At the same time, we're prevented by law from "assuming" anyone DOESN'T belong here. The day may be rapidly approaching when NONE of us may have any choice but to be prepared to PROVE our right to 'be here' every time we leave home. It may sound 'unAmerican', but that may be the ONLY way to establish our 'rights', which we once took for granted.One more lesson on the 'fruits' of years of neglecting our laws.

Take heart, though...we may not actually have to carry a physical ID. Very soon, the way our society's heading, the day will come when 'the Authorities' know who we are by the iris of our eye...(or the computer chip in our earlobe...or the 'instant DNA' reading as we enter a building.

Not saying we can 'un-do' the march of science....only suggesting that, if we're now 'losing' a few rights, it may be because we didn't seriously safeguard them when we should have.

A little illegal immigration is perfectly understandable. But there's absolutely NO EXCUSE for us now housing upwards of 20 million...including TEN PERCENT (give or take) of the entire population of Mexico. That isn't an 'oversight', it's a joke....and it hasn't produced gratitude or happiness for ANYONE, it's produced anger and resentment all around.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:18 PM

The lesson of this thread is don't get a job with a Company that likes to hire Illegal Aliens. If you do you subject yourself to the same treatment and if you don't carry ID you could be in for a long night.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
Why do I care if she's Black?
Why does the immigrant crowd hide behind the Black card every chance they get?
If the Hispanics are in the little leagues(since when is racial profiling a game with levels?), what are whites in? Because I always hear people saying Whites are being treated with racism(hah!).

The Hispanic are in the little leagues? I didn't know that's how people saw it. That others are on levels of who we give a damn about. It's funny.(Notes for Benicar: the funny thing is the way people's minds work on here.)

Again, who gives a flying you know what if she's Black? That has no relevance to the topic of people being cool with, if not wanting Hispanics to be racially profiled. The "Dude! I'm Black!" thing doesn't work with me.

YouTube - Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay - Airport
The problem isn't whether Benicar's black...it's WHY she's black....and how LONG she's been black. I have no problem with a person's being black, provided they have a sound reason for being so.

The REAL question, in my mind, is "Is Benicar LEGAL ?". That's all I care about.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
The problem isn't whether Benicar's black...it's WHY she's black....and how LONG she's been black. I have no problem with a person's being black, provided they have a sound reason for being so.

The REAL question, in my mind, is "Is Benicar LEGAL ?". That's all I care about.

It appears some posters have no problem with using derogatory words in the same sentence as black, white or insert color here so long as it isn't brown. What's the word I'm searching for here.....wait ....no...wait for it....drat what is that word?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration