U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2009, 10:06 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,628,336 times
Reputation: 2983

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
Wait..how does someone being found fighting a war in Afghanistan have to do with racially profiling and FALSELY detaining Americans of Mexican descent...???
The facts are that people were falsely detained because of how they look. It's pretty simple.
It makes no sense comparing someone wearing a beard, insurgent clothing, and carrying a gun to someone being born to look a certain way. Mind-boggling.
I still have a problem with your take. You seem to be suggesting that ALL Americans of Mexican descent are subject to special harsh treatment, if they 'look the part'...(and ONLY because they look the part)...and that no other dempgraphic shares their vulnerability.

I disagree. No one that I'm aware of...even the most xenophobic 'nut case'..not even Sherriff Joe Arapaio on a "bad day", at his grumpiest...has EVER said that "all Mexicans are illegal".....nor has anyone said "all illegals are Mexican".

As you know by now, I know many MANT people from Mexico, or whose ancestors were...and I have yet to hear ANY of them express a feeling they aren't free to go about their lives, just like anyone else. I suspect even YOU fit that category, if you don't mind me guessing..I doubt you suffer much oppression, though I'm only guessing.

I think there's profiling going on, yes...as in any other police work. I don't think 'racial profiling' is an accurate term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2009, 10:21 AM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
60,593 posts, read 30,753,397 times
Reputation: 12915
Ok, this is where it all goes wrong.

To get a DL here you have to have a birth certificate and proof you are a resident of Texas, with an address. You don't get a DL, if your an illegal.

So without any ID, and driving with no DL, which goes with no insurance. When they get pulled over, why are they not taken in and detained to find out exactly who they are, like any American is?
I know if I had no ID in my younger days, I was detained, until they could find out exactly who I was.

This alone would solve a lot of issues, instead of writing a ticket and letting them drive off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,828,771 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
People suggest that Mexican and Hispanic aren't a race, and yet they support racial profiling..?
Is there something I missed...?
The obvious discussion is about brown Mexican and central american descended people. Don't play dumb.
Yes, there is definitely something you missed. . .

If you re-read our exchanges, you will discover that I did not inject “racial” profiling into this discussion -- that distinction belongs to you. But then, that IS your only weapon. However, no matter how hard you try, you can’t exact AK-47 damage by using a .38.

I am not “suggesting” Hispanic is not a race -- I am stating a fact. However, you are certainly entitled to your beliefs. The illegal alien apologists are responsible for catapulting this debate into a racial issue. Prior to their ‘hate’ campaign, Hispanic was simply an ethnic identity -- not a ‘race’ of people illegally residing in this country.

Newsflash -- my skin IS brown. It’s even the shade of brown of many Mexicans. Remember, ‘black’ people come in ALL shades. Why on earth would I, with brown skin, dislike people because they are brown? Gee, I’d have to hate many of my family and friends, not to mention myself. Try again.

BTW, I’m glad I can be counted among the have to “play” dumb crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,828,771 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
Why do I care if she's Black?Why does the immigrant crowd hide behind the Black card every chance they get?
If the Hispanics are in the little leagues(since when is racial profiling a game with levels?), what are whites in? Because I always hear people saying Whites are being treated with racism(hah!).

The Hispanic are in the little leagues? I didn't know that's how people saw it. That others are on levels of who we give a damn about. It's funny.(Notes for Benicar: the funny thing is the way people's minds work on here.)

Again, who gives a flying you know what if she's Black? That has no relevance to the topic of people being cool with, if not wanting Hispanics to be racially profiled. The "Dude! I'm Black!" thing doesn't work with me.
You may not care that Iím black, but you DO care that I have a Hispanic son. Youíre disappointed because it throws a monkey wrench into your ďAnti-HispanicĒ rhetoric. Itís highly unlikely that I, the mother of a Hispanic, could be anti-Hispanic. Don'tcha think? Furthermore, I was married to a Hispanic immigrant for almost 20 years.

Sorry to disappoint you, but my opposition to illegal immigration has NO racial or ethnic basis. Ease up, your chagrin is palpable. Iím not anti-brown, and Iím not anti-Hispanic -- so drawing board #3 awaits you. . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 11:33 AM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
60,593 posts, read 30,753,397 times
Reputation: 12915
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
Do you think that US Citizens who are held and questions during immigration workplace raids should be able to sue for false imprisonment?

Read this article and give your feedback.

Citizens sue after detentions, immigration raids - USATODAY.com

They wouldn't be held, if they had a proper in state ID.
They would be held, if they were not aiding and abetting illegals working side by side with them. They were riding in the car, that left the bank robbery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 11:43 AM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
60,593 posts, read 30,753,397 times
Reputation: 12915
When did being a Mexican, and all countries south, north, east & west, become a races of people. Is this some of that new teaching in our schools I have been reading and hearing about? That is your nationality, not your race, Einstein.

Hey, I'm of the American race. How's that?
I'm pretty racist against anyone that is not the American race. How's that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,658,378 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You may not care that Iím black, but you DO care that I have a Hispanic son. Youíre disappointed because it throws a monkey wrench into your ďAnti-HispanicĒ rhetoric. Itís highly unlikely that I, the mother of a Hispanic, could be anti-Hispanic. Don'tcha think? Furthermore, I was married to a Hispanic immigrant for almost 20 years.

Sorry to disappoint you, but my opposition to illegal immigration has NO racial or ethnic basis. Ease up, your chagrin is palpable. Iím not anti-brown, and Iím not anti-Hispanic -- so drawing board #3 awaits you. . . . .
Although most ethnocentric 'Hispanics' would not count your son as being Latino since his dad is a White Argentine. To hear the above losers say it: Viva La Raza---------despite said Mestizos embracing a White Euro culture. Hypocrites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,658,378 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When did being a Mexican, and all countries south, north, east & west, become a races of people. Is this some of that new teaching in our schools I have been reading and hearing about? That is your nationality, not your race, Einstein.

Hey, I'm of the American race. How's that?
I'm pretty racist against anyone that is not the American race. How's that?
American race (of any ancestral color) has a nice ring to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,828,771 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Although most ethnocentric 'Hispanics' would not count your son as being Latino since his dad is a White Argentine. To hear the above losers say it: Viva La Raza---------despite said Mestizos embracing a White Euro culture. Hypocrites.
True. Plus, my son doesnít have Ďbrowní skin; which seems to be the determining factor according to those who claim this is an anti-brown issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,828,771 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
That's a great card to throw. But I still don't care, sorry. What kind of Hispanic immigrant by the way? I highly doubt it's the typical mostly indigenous Mexican working at the bottom of the workforce. But still, it's irrelevant.

The base of the back and forth between me and you is you implying it makes sense to profile Mexican-looking people because as you say, the "vast majority of illegals are Mexican".

When I said it's wrong to profile this by race, because most legal immigrants are Mexican and many, many citizens are of Mexican descent, YOU GUYS started throwing the race cards.

"She's Black! She can't be racist!"
"I was married to a Hispanic immigrant of some sorts and have a half-Hispanic son of some sorts, so I can't be prejudiced against mostly or fully indigenous Mexican immigrants of the poorer variety!"

Nobody called you racist. You arrived at that conclusion on your own. I said we shouldn't profile by race, never called you "anti-Hispanic". I said it's wrong to profile and be extra suspicious of Mexican-looking people when so many legals and citizens are of the same descent, and for some reason you got defensive over that, and said that we should since it "makes sense".

I am discussing race as far as profiling, but it's you guys who turned it into finger-pointing and started throwing race-cards. So hypocritical. And it's so sad that to help your argument, you have to make dumb assumptions. "You DO care that-!" "You're disappointed that-!". Sorry, I don't, and I'm not. You're race cards have been declined.

But you jump all over arguments in a strange way. Super sensitive and defensive. You need to take another Benicar.
Calm down from your diatribe, and re-read your posts and mine. Then, get back with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top