U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 11:21 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,450,555 times

Advertisements

Race card? Only card needed is a worker permit card.........Would solve this easy to fix problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 11:27 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,822,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
You just don't get it, so in your confusion, you're slandering the faceless people of "the other side" go get some kind of footing in the discussion.
Why don't you challenge what I am saying instead of constantly going off on 'them' 'they' and 'those'
Give me something substantive to challenge. Thus far, all you have are accusations of racism and anti-Hispanic nonsense. How can I counter you when you’re shooting blanks?

Old 10-09-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Race card? Only card needed is a worker permit card......... Would solve this easy to fix problem.
We already have them. However, one must be a legal resident of this country to qualify. Are you suggesting we offer a work permit to anyone who chooses to work in this country? Do you actually not realize what a colossal mess that would be? Iím sure there are massive numbers of people throughout this world who would just love to work in this country, rather than earn $.50 per hour working in a sweatshop. Shall we invite the entire world, or just Mexicans?

Old 10-09-2009, 02:04 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times
Quote:
Youre the hypocrite. You keep talking for "Laraza" and "Hispanics", but it's obviously biased and tainted and from your own mind in order to vilify them as much as possible. This is why you yourself is known to be obviously anti-Hispanic. I'm not saying that necessarily about the others here, but you personally. You're agenda and prejudice is too transparent.

Yes, anybody living in Latin American and Spain(depending on who you ask) is an Argentina.
But when we're talking about "profiling" illegal aliens, we're obviously talking about those of mostly or fully indigenous heritage. Let's not beat around the bush okay?
And in that sense, saying that "my Husband is from Argentina, so I CAN'T be prejudiced against Mexicans" is just plain stupid.
Face it: you and your illegal alien apologist friends are losing the battle of public opinion. Your pitiful attempts to stop me via the 'race card' do not work. Give it up; you are making yourself look foolish at best.

If here illegally-------------LEAVE! Or will us Americans have to forceably deport said illegals? The choice is yours.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:28 PM

32,823 posts, read 30,075,350 times
Quote:
Yes, it feels nice to be part of a winning team, even if we have to make our own reality, doesn't it?
What race card is that by the way? I'm always hearing about a race card, but I don't see where it's been used.
Is that just a defense mechanism that turns on automatically?

"Let's not solve this problem by profiling people by race in some delusional idea that we can just deport them all this way."
"I'm not racist! Your race card doesn't work on me!"

I'm sorry to break your pillow fort Arizonabear. But most people in this country don't think like you. The vast majority don't. That's not to say that America doesn't want less illegal immigrants. Very few actually support their being a large number of people living in the shadows unaccounted for. However, the vast majority of people don't think like you more extreme ones.
Or else, don't you think the "battle" would be over already? They'd be murdering women and children on the border like you've frequently proposed, they'd be staging mass deportations, they'd be profiling Mestizo or indigenous Hispanics. No. You have no political clout. You are fringe.

Most people involved with this issue, even those who are less sympathetic to illegals, have this thing called 'sanity' . 'Common sense'.
Most Americans don't revolve their lives around this issue. Most of America wouldn't be behind you like you like to think.

People would agree that there's too many illegal immigrants in the country, and something needs to be done about it, but shortly after that, you would lose the majority of Americans.

It's great to feel the team spirit, like you're a part of something big, and you represent the majority, but sadly, that's not the case. Look at the same people who post on here out of all the people on city-data. What does that say to you?
I'll be liberal and say there's about 50 people who post on here on your "side". How many people are users of this site?

In our only local paper there is only one topic that goes off more than Illegal Immigration and that is gay marriage. There are usually hundreds of comments attached to each article about Illegal Immigration and it runs about 8-2 against it.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:36 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,621,702 times
Quote:
For the record, and the millionth time, I'm against racial-profiling, because it leads to instances like the one in the OP. It's not okay to treat people who are US citizens with suspicion, and like they don't belong here because of how they look or their last name. I DO NOT support profiling Mexican people, due to the fact that just because most illegals are Hispanic, it does not mean most Hispanics are illegal. It's WRONG. Spin that how you like it, I won't try to refute the gibberish that comes out because of it. Few on here are capable of giving back a reasonable refutation or counter argument. It's just defensive, emotional whining. Followed by the obligatory "Don't call me racist!". Whatever.
Once again, though I absolutely disagree with most of your position, you're resonably polite and well-spoken. You DO make a case...nobody should really support the 'profiling' of an entire racial group.

My position is that an entire racial group ISN'T being profiled. PARTS of that group are, just as in the case of any other profiling.

Almost ALL police work involves profiling. If there's a spate of "exhibitionists" bothering lady joggers, then the police are probably going to look for a male suspect. If there were several MILLION exhibitionists currently 'working', it's possible that at some point, MOST males would be 'suspect'. That isn't 'hatred of males'...that's just common sense. If you want to find out who's doing 'bad stuff', you look among those who are probable suspects...even though most are not GUILTY, that's still where you look. There are only three other possible alternatives...

(1) Profile EVERYBODY, male or female, so that you don't look like you're 'picking on males'...

(2) Simply give up, and quit looking for the exhibitionists at ALL, reasoning that while they may be annoying, they really don't "hurt" anybody...

(3) Agree on a 'passive' approach, and wait for the exhibitionists tire of their sport, and either quit, or turn themselves in...meanwhile, reasoning that "exhibitionists are just like the REST of us, except for one bad habit".

The same dynamic applies, one would assume, in the case of illegal immigrants.

If you intend to 'find' the lawbreakers, at some point you must look where the lawbreakers usually are. If you don't, you won't find them. That's perfectly OK, I suppose, if you don't WANT them found...but that's a separate subject.

Once again, we're not talking abusing people here, any more than we "abuse" those who want to get on an airplane. The stories we hear (from the media, including the local Catholic newspaper), mentions people being "afraid to leave their homes"....or "afraid to go to work". Can you tell me, please, why ANY law-abiding American citizen or legal alien should be "afraid" to move about in American society? I can't think of any reason, myself.

I can understand people being annoyed...I can NOT understand "fear", though. And here's the final thought...even if "worst comes to worst", even if a person IS illegal, and has the WORST LUCK POSSIBLE...the worst that he faces is having to go HOME....(where he legally belongs). Regular 'criminals' should be so lucky.

Illegal aliens have no legal right to be here. Every day they're here is really a 'windfall'. 99% of them know this very well. They also know that by remaining here, they're taking a chance on getting caught. They also know that there's virtually NO penalty for getting caught, except that in a few cases they'll have to go home. That doesn't sound like "harsh treatment" to me.

Thanks for your posts, though we may disagree.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:55 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,713,551 times
Quote:
Yes, it feels nice to be part of a winning team, even if we have to make our own reality, doesn't it?
What race card is that by the way? I'm always hearing about a race card, but I don't see where it's been used.
Is that just a defense mechanism that turns on automatically?

Me:"Let's not solve this problem by profiling people by race in some delusional idea that we can just deport them all this way."
The Angry Ones: "I'm not racist! Your race card doesn't work on me!"

I'm sorry to break your pillow fort Arizonabear. But most people in this country don't think like you. The vast majority don't. That's not to say that America doesn't want less illegal immigrants. Very few actually support their being a large number of people living in the shadows unaccounted for. However, the vast majority of people don't think like you more extreme ones.
Or else, don't you think the "battle" would be over already? They'd be murdering women and children on the border like you've frequently proposed, they'd be staging mass deportations, they'd be profiling Mestizo or indigenous Hispanics. No. You have no political clout. You are fringe.

Most people involved with this issue, even those who are less sympathetic to illegals, have this thing called 'sanity' . 'Common sense'.
Most Americans don't revolve their lives around this issue. Most of America wouldn't be behind you like you like to think.

People would agree that there's too many illegal immigrants in the country, and something needs to be done about it, but shortly after that, you would lose the majority of Americans.
The penalty for being in the US illegally is deportation.

Quote:
It's great to feel the team spirit, like you're a part of something big, and you represent the majority, but sadly, that's not the case. Look at the same people who post on here out of all the people on city-data. What does that say to you?
I'll be liberal and say there's about 50 people who post on here on your "side". How many people are users of this site?
Unless my memory fails me, the last massive Amnesty proposal went down in flames. Seems like alot of Americans weren't too keen on the idea.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:08 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times
Quote:
Thanks for the calm approach.

I don't think Hispanics are currently being profiled or being mistreated.
I'm against the proposal that such a thing becomes acceptable and encouraged.

I don't think we can compare illegals to flashers. A flasher is a random crime. Being here illegally is more specific. There are other ways to catch them. I think it's a much bigger issue than catching and deporting, but if I were to think that way, there's other ways.

I'm not sure if I like the flasher analogy. If someones going around flashing women, how far will it go if we tell police to go around looking for a male? Not very. No, you get specific information.

Apart from being unfair and offensive to have police questioning every short, dark, indigenous/mestizo looking person about their citizenship, it wouldn't be effective. If we didn't care about a large segment of Americans and how they feel about that, if we had unlimited resources to literally screen all Latinos in this country to filter out legals and citizens, which aren't an insignificant number, then sure, it makes sense in a very pragmatic way. But at what costs?

Again, should we just find out the crimes most associated with ethnic groups, and create task forces for each crime to shake down that community? I'm sure it'd be effect, but at what cost? Is it worth it? Would the ends justify the means? I don't think so.

A lot of people like to use the analogy of illegals being home invaders and stealing from the fridge. When we have food in the fridge that has been getting nibbled on, someone took a slice of pizza, someone took a drink of my gallon of juice, someone took a a couple beers from my 36 pack, do I go rudely interrogate the people I invited to stay for the weekend, and even my own brothers? Yeah, it would make sense to, but in reality, since they didn't, it would come off as extremely rude, and might even cause a rift in the family.
Let me put it this way: if I were a short, dark skinned Anglo and was mistaken for an illegal alien Mestizo---------I would expect to be Profiled.

So what? Get over it!

Old 10-09-2009, 04:18 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,450,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
We already have them. However, one must be a legal resident of this country to qualify. Are you suggesting we offer a work permit to anyone who chooses to work in this country? Do you actually not realize what a colossal mess that would be? I’m sure there are massive numbers of people throughout this world who would just love to work in this country, rather than earn $.50 per hour working in a sweatshop. Shall we invite the entire world, or just Mexicans?
We dont have a worker permit system THAT WORKS......Im talking about something that works.you arent. You see in canada the worker permit MUST BE APPROVED. ONly approved for jobs not in competition with canadians. NO permit= no work NO work =no money and NO money means they wont have a need to come here..They arent coming here to vacation.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
We dont have a worker permit system THAT WORKS......Im talking about something that works.you arent. You see in canada the worker permit MUST BE APPROVED. ONly approved for jobs not in competition with canadians. NO permit= no work NO work =no money and NO money means they wont have a need to come here..They arent coming here to vacation.
I repeat, we already have an APPROVED system. However, itís approved for legal residents. Our system of requiring a valid SSN would be sufficient if E-Verify were mandated by law for ALL employment. Our system doesnít work, because the government is controlled by the corporate elite who donít want their cheap illegal labor to end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration