U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2009, 09:33 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,162,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
I agree. It is VERY simple. You weren't.
Neither is a Latino, Black, Asian, whatever that fits the DESCRIPTION of a SPECIFIC CRIME and is detained and questioned like you were.

If you were detained and harassed because some people in the country somewhere are getting robbed by white men, and you happen to be white yourself, that would be WRONG and you would be a victim of racial profiling.

Those are two different situations. I'm really trying to hammer that in.

Let me try a different approach. In the US, the majority of child molesters are white, middle-aged men. What if every time you drove by a school, you were pulled over by a cop, handcuffed in front of passer bys, and told you are being detained for suspicion of being a child molester. People see you being arrested under suspicion of being a child molester.

"But officer, I'm not! What's your probable cause?"
"Well, your a white middle-aged man, and the majority of child abductors/molesters are white, so you know..better safe than sorry."

That would be WRONG. The majority of child molesters are White, but the majority of Whites are NOT child molesters. There needs to be probable cause other than race or ethnicity!
It's very simple, and I don't understand why so many on here can't wrap their mind around that.

Heres another.

The majority of homicides in this country are committed by Blacks. The majority of murderers are Black, but does that mean the majority of Blacks are murderers? No!
So should we go around pulling over Black people WITHOUT a description or specific crime having been committed? Just because they are Black?

Like I said, why don't we just break up crime investigator units...let's make race police! That way, we can create departments that are assigned to a race, and only investigate one type of crime! The White police will only investigate child molestation, the Latino police will only investigate illegals, and the Black police will only investigate murders. Who needs probable cause and pesky PC limitations when we can just shake down people by race and put a dent in crime!

See how ludicrous this is?
That isn't what is happening to Latinos in this country. People are stopped because of a traffic violation not because of their race. During the course of the questioning period by law enforcement in relation to alleged infraction of a traffic violation law enforcement has the right to ask for valid I.D. Most everyone legally in this country carries valid I.D. with them at all times. If someone doesn't have valid I.D. with them (in this case a Driver's license) then that raises some doubts and suspicion and further questioning as to their status in this country.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 09:53 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,828,771 times
Quote:
I don't think Hispanics are currently being profiled or being mistreated. I'm against the proposal that such a thing becomes acceptable and encouraged.
Ok, which is it? Are Hispanics being ‘racially’ profiled, or not?

Quote:
Let me try a different approach. In the US, the majority of child molesters are white, middle-aged men. What if every time you drove by a school, you were pulled over by a cop, handcuffed in front of passer bys, and told you are being detained for suspicion of being a child molester. People see you being arrested under suspicion of being a child molester.

That would be WRONG. The majority of child molesters are White, but the majority of Whites are NOT child molesters. There needs to be probable cause other than race or ethnicity! It's very simple, and I don't understand why so many on here can't wrap their mind around that.

The majority of homicides in this country are committed by Blacks. The majority of murderers are Black, but does that mean the majority of Blacks are murderers? No!
So should we go around pulling over Black people WITHOUT a description or specific crime having been committed? Just because they are Black?
If the situation were remotely close to your depiction, I doubt if we would have millions of illegal alien Hispanics freely living in this country. You act as though Hispanics can’t walk down the street without being stopped by the police or ICE, which clearly is not true. Ever pass by a Home Depot?

Old 10-10-2009, 03:27 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,628,336 times
Quote:

"But officer, I'm not! What's your probable cause?"
"Well, your a white middle-aged man, and the majority of child abductors/molesters are white, so you know..better safe than sorry."

That would be WRONG. The majority of child molesters are White, but the majority of Whites are NOT child molesters. There needs to be probable cause other than race or ethnicity!
It's very simple, and I don't understand why so many on here can't wrap their mind around that.

Heres another.

See how ludicrous this is?
Once again....if there were as many Child molesters as there are illegals, and 80% of them were middle-aged white males, middle-aged white males probably WOULD be profiled regularly.

If there were as many murderers as there are illegals, and 70% of them were blacks, then black people undoubtedly WOULD be profiled regularly.

But neither case is true.

If there were neighborhoods where 10 or 15 or 20 percent of the adults were child molesters...or murderers...then those neighborhoods would undergo intense scrutiny from law enforcement...but no such neighborhoods exist.

Illegal immigration numbers in the millions...possibly 20 million. 80% of illegals, by most estimates, are from Mexico or Central America. Some neighborhoods contain a large percentage of illegals. If those neighborhoods get 'looked at', then by definition, that means their mostly-Hispanic residents are going to get 'looked at'.

Is racial profiling 'wrong'...I think so. Is it 'unAmerican'? Maybe...(so is illegal immigration...in fact, the illegals themselves are unAmerican, if you want to press the point). Is what's being described above truly 'racial profiling'? I don't think it is.

As a FINAL thought..if there were as many illegal immigrants as there are child molesters, or murderers, they would not be the object of attention, nor would this forum exist. But, again, that is not the case. Illegal immigrants VASTLY outnumber almost any other sort of 'crime'....and they get the attention that goes along with that huge number. They themselves (through their 'spokesmen'), are partially responsible for this negative attention; many illegal 'boosters' and activists have purposely sought out 'the spotlight'. They've largely succeeded in getting it. Most petty criminals don't do this. Most petty criminals have no "pro" groups to push their cause...Most petty criminals do not hold street rallies, march on the Capitol, or appear on news conferences to gain acceptability. Most petty criminals seek anonymity, not exposure.

Otherwise, comparisons are pretty futile...

Last edited by macmeal; 10-10-2009 at 03:38 PM..

Old 10-10-2009, 03:35 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,828,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Once again....if there were as many Child molesters as there are illegals, and 80% of them were middle-aged white males, middle-aged white males probably WOULD be profiled regularly.

If there were as many murderers as theere are illegals, and 70% of them were blacks' then black people undoubtedly WOULD be profiled regularly.

But neither case is true.

If there were neighborhoods where 10 or 15 or 20 percent of the adults were child molesters...or murderers...then those neighborhoods would undergo intense scrutiny from law enforcement...but no such neighborhoods exist.

Illegal immigration numbers in the millions...possibly 20 million. 80% of illegals, by most estimates, are from Mexico or Central America. Some neighborhoods contain a large percentage of illegals. If those neighborhoods get 'looked at', then by definition, that means their mostly-Hispanic residents are going to get 'looked at'.

Is racial profiling 'wrong'...I think so. Is it 'unAmerican'? Maybe...(so is illegal immigration...in fact, the illegals themselves are unAmerican, if you want to press the point). Is what's being described above truly 'racial profiling'? I don't think it is.

As a FINAL thought..if there were as many illegal immigrants as there are child molesters, or murderers, they would not be the object of attention, nor would this forum exist. But, again, that is not the case. Illegal immigrants VASTLY outnumber almost any other sort of 'crime'....and they get the attention that goes along with that huge number. They temselves are partially responsible for this negative attention; many illegal 'boosters' and activists have purposely sought out 'the spotlight'. They've largely succeeded in getting it. Most petty criminals don't do this. Most petty criminals have no "pro" groups to push their cause...

Otherwise, comparisons are pretty futile...
There you go again, confusing and annoying people with your cogent response.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:46 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,696,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
There you go again, confusing and annoying people with your cogent response.
Indeed. Isn't common sense irritating?

Old 10-10-2009, 07:14 PM

32,829 posts, read 30,118,328 times
20 million child molesters..........

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMM

Old 10-13-2009, 06:37 PM

23,843 posts, read 10,041,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
This is where we sacrifice for the greater good. I'm sure I would not like it, but if it got rid of criminals, fine.

People always sue - our society is known for it, and because some of these cases, like this one, are really (IMO) not that big a deal, the real cases of abuse take forever to be settled.

I kind of disrespect people who sue about everything. Anything that happens that they can sue for, they do. Why aren't they applauding that these illegals were caught?
Since when does stripping citizens of their liberty equate with the greater good? Have we forgotten the 120,000 Japanese-Americans who were interned here in World War Two?

Ben Franklin said "he who gives up liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security." I agree. When it comes to this issue the line should be drawn at never.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:08 PM

4,677 posts, read 4,603,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Well, there are 500,000+ registered child molesters in the United States. Less than 10% of all those ever convicted are registered, so that leaves 5 million+ convicted; and that's not even taking into account the number who avoided conviction or were never arrested in the first place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration