Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 10:07 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
This is where we sacrifice for the greater good. I'm sure I would not like it, but if it got rid of criminals, fine.

People always sue - our society is known for it, and because some of these cases, like this one, are really (IMO) not that big a deal, the real cases of abuse take forever to be settled.

I kind of disrespect people who sue about everything. Anything that happens that they can sue for, they do. Why aren't they applauding that these illegals were caught?
Excellent points, Cousinsal

I have little or no respect for the SUE FREAKS who have turned our Legal System into a LIFESTYLE OF GREED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 02:30 PM

608 posts, read 1,004,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGC View Post
Im not saying im mad that they caught the illegals, i just think that they should make sure that the person they are taking is in fact illegal.
Precisely the point US is a country of contradictions, checks and balances. Legal citizens only please, oh but don't ask me if I am legal or have proper documentation as you are violating my right to privacy. I am sure one day we will figure this out but our constitution prevents knee jerk reactions so the debate continues...

Old 07-01-2008, 11:45 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
Do you think that US Citizens who are held and questions during immigration workplace raids should be able to sue for false imprisonment?

Read this article and give your feedback.

Citizens sue after detentions, immigration raids - USATODAY.com
When my husband and I started working as teens in the late 1950s/early 1960s, in order to get working papers you needed a birth certificate. You also got your Social Security number then (you didn't need it for a bank account). When you applied to work, the SSN proved your citizenship.
[And, yes, as when he recently applied for SS, they even KNEW he was a citizen! It was in his file!]

Now, in our divine "political correctness", that is not the case. No proof of citizenship, you can still get a SSN. How does an employer know who they are hiring? It doesn't matter what color you are; there are white European illegals as well as every other race and country....

As long as we have a LEGAL immigration policy, I think ICE is well within its rights to make raids. If a citizen is caught - for whatever reason - it is unfortunate. Rather than blame ICE, they should blame the "Political Correctness" politicians who are afraid to require citizenship for a job.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,645 posts, read 16,125,463 times
The obvious goal is to stop the raids so illegals and their employer can continue to give the shaft to the American citizen. Sue the illegals and the employer for breaking the law in the first place.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:27 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
In other immigration raids, citizens and legal, permanent residents have been taken to jail. Jesus Garcia, a former Texas poultry worker, was handcuffed and spent more than 30 hours in ICE custody this year, part of that time in jail. Two co-workers, both citizens, also were arrested. No charges were filed against them."
30 hours in custody including time in jail followed by no charges is excessive. Had he been aggressive or failed/refused to show id then you can bet they would have filed charges.

I have no problem with ICE doing their job but they also have to show respect for citizens and legal residents.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:47 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,748,694 times
Quote:
But it is a big deal. This is from the article.

"Dhopade says he was a victim of racial profiling by ICE. An ICE agent questioned him about his immigration status and his ability to speak English "because of my skin color," he says. "None of the white folks in the office … that I know of were asked for proof of citizenship. To be asked for proof of citizenship, in this country, it's an insult. This is the United States of America. This country does not require that."
In other immigration raids, citizens and legal, permanent residents have been taken to jail. Jesus Garcia, a former Texas poultry worker, was handcuffed and spent more than 30 hours in ICE custody this year, part of that time in jail. Two co-workers, both citizens, also were arrested. No charges were filed against them."
They are taking anyone who looks illegal, and that is not right. I would sue if i were them.
Ya know, if they're that upset about being questioned regarding their immigration status, perhaps they should get involved in the fight to secure the borders and enforce current immigration law--rather than likely being among those of Mexican descent who applaud illegal immigration and see no reason to halt it.

This sentence says all there is to say about the entitlement attitude some people have:

Quote:
To be asked for proof of citizenship, in this country, it's an insult. This is the United States of America. This country does not require that.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:53 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
This sentence says all there is to say about the entitlement attitude some people have:

"To be asked for proof of citizenship, in this country, it's an insult. This is the United States of America. This country does not require that."
So how are you supposed to prove citizenship? Carry your passport, birth certificate or naturalization certificate with you at all times?

Like I said, ICE have a job to do. But arresting and holding citizens for 30 hours is way too excessive. There needs to be some serious questioning of their process and maybe the attitudes of certain agents.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
So how are you supposed to prove citizenship? Carry your passport, birth certificate or naturalization certificate with you at all times?

Like I said, ICE have a job to do. But arresting and holding citizens for 30 hours is way too excessive. There needs to be some serious questioning of their process and maybe the attitudes of certain agents.
If you work within the sort of environment where ICE raids are likely, then yes. Carry some sort of paper work with you. Most of the time, a driver's license will do as very few states allow illegal aliens to get them. I don't know about you, but I generally have mine with me when I leave the house. If I were living permanently in say, Brazil or Mexico, I would certainly expect that if I were gainfully employed, there may be occasion that I would have to prove that I have the right to be there.

You probably have no problem though with certain suspicious looking Arab people being pulled out of the line in the airport and submitted to a thorough search though do you.....

Old 10-08-2009, 01:47 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
It's pretty obvious that the people who are so casual about this kind of thing, are so because they don't they'll be profiled. In America, what's "foreign-looking"?
I can be “casual” because I belong here, and I can easily prove it. It’s also standard procedure to ‘profile’ in law enforcement. If they’re looking for a male suspect who is 6’5”, they certainly aren’t going to stop me, a 5’2” woman. Is it our fault the vast majority of illegals are Mexican? Good grief, who do you expect ICE to stop? If we didn’t have 20+ million illegals sucking this country dry, this would not be an issue.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
Why do you guys always use an example of a person fitting the description of a specific individual in a specific crime being profiled, to profiling people by race of a wider issue?

It's disgusting that you support racial profiling. It's unAmerican. There's a lot of crimes in this country that are mostly committed by non-Hispanics. Do we just start profiling everyone by race for the crime mostly committed by that race?
It doesn't affect you since we're talking about "Mexicans" and "Hispanics" here. But if it did, I'm sure youd be singing a different tune. It's always easier to volunteer giving up the rights of other people.
Ummm...you DO realize that Benicar is African American, right? "Hispanics" are in the little leagues comparatively when it comes down to racial profiling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration