U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2008, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
148 posts, read 568,495 times
Reputation: 119

Advertisements

Do you think that US Citizens who are held and questions during immigration workplace raids should be able to sue for false imprisonment?

Read this article and give your feedback.

Citizens sue after detentions, immigration raids - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2008, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Surprise, Az
3,496 posts, read 8,344,345 times
Reputation: 1832
They need to sue. It is/will become a landmark case and needs to be heard and played out. What if Thurgood Marshall never presented his case? These types of issues have to be heard out in the highest courts of the land...

I'm not a supporter of civil rights being violated to catch a few...there has been be an alternative method...Like sealing the borders...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2008, 08:02 AM
 
1,861 posts, read 2,968,433 times
Reputation: 559
This is where we sacrifice for the greater good. I'm sure I would not like it, but if it got rid of criminals, fine.

People always sue - our society is known for it, and because some of these cases, like this one, are really (IMO) not that big a deal, the real cases of abuse take forever to be settled.

I kind of disrespect people who sue about everything. Anything that happens that they can sue for, they do. Why aren't they applauding that these illegals were caught?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2008, 09:06 AM
 
14,234 posts, read 7,411,145 times
Reputation: 8028
Not what I would call imprisonment. Police detain and question innocent people everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2008, 11:52 AM
 
3,859 posts, read 9,173,371 times
Reputation: 2728
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
This is where we sacrifice for the greater good. I'm sure I would not like it, but if it got rid of criminals, fine.

People always sue - our society is known for it, and because some of these cases, like this one, are really (IMO) not that big a deal, the real cases of abuse take forever to be settled.

I kind of disrespect people who sue about everything. Anything that happens that they can sue for, they do. Why aren't they applauding that these illegals were caught?
I agree-good post.

Nicolem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2008, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL
243 posts, read 77,585 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
This is where we sacrifice for the greater good. I'm sure I would not like it, but if it got rid of criminals, fine.

People always sue - our society is known for it, and because some of these cases, like this one, are really (IMO) not that big a deal, the real cases of abuse take forever to be settled.

I kind of disrespect people who sue about everything. Anything that happens that they can sue for, they do. Why aren't they applauding that these illegals were caught?
But it is a big deal. This is from the article.


"Dhopade says he was a victim of racial profiling by ICE. An ICE agent questioned him about his immigration status and his ability to speak English "because of my skin color," he says. "None of the white folks in the office that I know of were asked for proof of citizenship. To be asked for proof of citizenship, in this country, it's an insult. This is the United States of America. This country does not require that."
In other immigration raids, citizens and legal, permanent residents have been taken to jail. Jesus Garcia, a former Texas poultry worker, was handcuffed and spent more than 30 hours in ICE custody this year, part of that time in jail. Two co-workers, both citizens, also were arrested. No charges were filed against them."
They are taking anyone who looks illegal, and that is not right. I would sue if i were them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2008, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGC View Post
But it is a big deal. This is from the article.


"Dhopade says he was a victim of racial profiling by ICE. An ICE agent questioned him about his immigration status and his ability to speak English "because of my skin color," he says. "None of the white folks in the office that I know of were asked for proof of citizenship. To be asked for proof of citizenship, in this country, it's an insult. This is the United States of America. This country does not require that."
In other immigration raids, citizens and legal, permanent residents have been taken to jail. Jesus Garcia, a former Texas poultry worker, was handcuffed and spent more than 30 hours in ICE custody this year, part of that time in jail. Two co-workers, both citizens, also were arrested. No charges were filed against them."
They are taking anyone who looks illegal, and that is not right. I would sue if i were them.
Pretty sure we are not getting the whole story. Like did they have proof of their ID? It is legal for the police to ask to see your ID. If you fail to provide ID and or act in an agressive manner than you own what follows.
I have no issue with these arrests. The so-called victims should look at the illegals and point the finger of blame in the right direction. It is the Illegals who have created this enviroment.
As for the sueing part? Americans would file a lawsuit if somebody farted out loud in the next state. WE are a sue happy society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2008, 12:28 PM
 
1,861 posts, read 2,968,433 times
Reputation: 559
The problem with complaining and suing is that it takes the emphasis off what really happened - that all these illegals were caught!

Because they put the attention on themselves (the ones suing), it makes it look like it's not worth it to raid companies where illegals are working. And, it just makes it harder for ICE to do its job.

The people who sue are getting all the publicity, instead of the fact that ICE caught over a hundred people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2008, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL
243 posts, read 77,585 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Pretty sure we are not getting the whole story. Like did they have proof of their ID? It is legal for the police to ask to see your ID. If you fail to provide ID and or act in an agressive manner than you own what follows.
I have no issue with these arrests. The so-called victims should look at the illegals and point the finger of blame in the right direction. It is the Illegals who have created this enviroment.
As for the sueing part? Americans would file a lawsuit if somebody farted out loud in the next state. WE are a sue happy society.
Im not saying im mad that they caught the illegals, i just think that they should make sure that the person they are taking is in fact illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 06:32 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGC View Post
Im not saying im mad that they caught the illegals, i just think that they should make sure that the person they are taking is in fact illegal.
Hard to do if that person either doesn't have any ID on them or refuses to provide ID. What are the options? Come back tomorow with your ID? No take them in until it can be sorted out. I was once stopped at a DUI check point. I had all the legal documents. I also had a navy base sticker on my bumper. This happened in Norfolk VA. It was automatically assumed because I was a sailor that I must have also been drinking. Fact was I had not been drinking. I walked the line, did the breath test etc. I was held up for over an hour and was totally disrespected by those cops. I was more than alittle irked. I filed a complaint the next day and never heard another word about it. I got over it. It took me about a week. I also understand that many single young sailors do try to live the stereo type. I blame them for creating the enviroment that makes cops assume the worst first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top