Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 03:47 PM

338 posts, read 1,445,102 times

Advertisements

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger wants to cover illegal immigrants as part of his universal health care plan...This is friggin crazy. NO! What do you think? What other Governors feel the same way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 04:34 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,465,842 times
I believe Illegal Immigrants, even though they are here illegaly, are entitled to the same rights as Americans.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:36 PM

504 posts, read 1,763,979 times
Whar do you want him to do? The problem that he has is that illegals have no insurance so they cost more, by putting them under an insurance plan it will be cheaper for the state. I do not know how it will work, but because most of the illegals are young and healthy it should be cheaper than you expect. Right or wrong is not the answer the answer is always cost.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:39 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersmom View Post
What other Governors feel the same way?
Well Gov. Richardson here in New Mexico signed into law to give them Drivers Liscenses in our state even though they are illegal. Wonder if they have auto insurance??

Old 01-12-2007, 04:39 PM

You are right- the answer is always about $$$

Old 01-12-2007, 04:43 PM

504 posts, read 1,763,979 times
This drivers license thing is a two edged sword, they can and will get auto insurance, can buy cars and make payments but that means that they can also, start driving heavy equipment, construction,that means some jobs will not pay as much.
I too believe we have an immigration problem, but I believe our constitution covers the rights of everyone in this country.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:20 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
I don't know why illegals would allow themselves to be covered by insurance unless they don't have to pay for it. As it stands now, they simply show up for treatment at hospitals and we pay the costs in higher bills, they pay nothing. Why rock the cart when what they get now is already free?
But God forbid you're an American who gets hospitalized and has no insurance as then you'll be pursued till you're 99, lose your house, car, savings, and anything of value you've ever worked for.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:33 PM

Wink Thank You!!!

Thanks MoMark...this is what I feel too...my hubby has to pay out the bottom for insurance for our family...and its not even that good of insurance...but at least its coverage...to think we work, pay our taxes AND PAY for insurance- when all we have to do is be an illegal. Wheres the incentive to keep working?..I know..I know...American pride...

Old 01-12-2007, 05:38 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,612,838 times
Quote:
Thanks MoMark...this is what I feel too...my hubby has to pay out the bottom for insurance for our family...and its not even that good of insurance...but at least its coverage...to think we work, pay our taxes AND PAY for insurance- when all we have to do is be an illegal. Wheres the incentive to keep working?..I know..I know...American pride...
There's a protest. Imagine it....

Millions of Americans leaving their driver's licenses and passports in a pile in front of the White house. "No thanks, it's cheaper without'em."

Maybe that's what we need, lol. Everybody to renounce their allegiance to the United States, but continue to live here anyway.

hmmm, the wheels are turning....

-TT

Old 01-12-2007, 05:42 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Quote:
I got first hand experience with the costs of medical care in May heathersmom. Luckily I had maintained my COBRA coverage after having quit my banking job in Las Vegas. I was hospitalized in intensive care with critical pneumonia the first night, then the next 3.5 days in a reg. bed with oxygen and all the stuff they do, including x-raying my chest with me still in the bed, bags and bags of antibiotic drips, having a drain inserted through my back into a lung to drain it, the whole thing.
The final bill was just under $20,000. COBRA (Blue Cross Blue Shield in my case), whittled the bill down to about $10,000 and paid that. I ended up paying $75 out of my own pocket for the actual expenses.
What was clear to me was that had I not been covered, my hospital bill would have cost me $10,000 more than it cost the insurance company, which means the insurance companies demand and get "cut" prices, but regular non-covered patients do not.
It was an eye-opener and my monthly cost was $316 for the coverage, my single biggest bill as I own my house outright and have no mortgage and I have no car payments or other expenses beside regular utilities and food shopping.
If I had been illegal, I could have just walked in, been helped with the same quality of care, then left afterwards and not had to look back or worry about how I'd pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration