U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 12:40 PM

27,998 posts, read 46,384,744 times

Advertisements

Today, Dr. Alfredo Quiñones-Hinojosa may be living the American dream.

As one of the nation's leading brain surgeons, he has built an exceptional career at Baltimore's legendary Johns Hopkins Hospital, surgically treating patients with brain tumors and leading cutting-edge research into cures for brain cancer. And he is one of the doctors featured on the new ABC series "Hopkins."

ABC News: From Illegal Immigrant to Leading Doctor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 12:44 PM

16,703 posts, read 18,928,104 times
Hahaha... ppl like to think doctors are "brand-names"... you find excellent neurosurgeons even in non-brand name hospitals... Hopkins is full of "fluff" because they pay a lot of money for that "fluff"... cutting edge research? Sorry but they aren't the only ones doing it... if you have a lot of money coming in from "donors" you can be like Hopkins, overrated and overstated... Hopkins likes to "buy" their doctors who have new things coming out and tell everyone that "they" brought it up..

Old 06-26-2008, 12:50 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,038,627 times
I find it interesting that the while the dr thinks that border fences are not enforceable, he was all for monitering the border via patrolling and surveillance as well as fencing in parts of it. He certainly was not an open borders propenant regardless of how he himself got in.
Another thing of note......he found a way to take English classes after picking tomatos all day much to the derision of his fellow illegal immigrants. I guess that there are ways to learn a countries dominant language no matter how old or legal you are

Old 06-26-2008, 01:01 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,793,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I find it interesting that the while the dr thinks that border fences are not enforceable, he was all for monitering the border via patrolling and surveillance as well as fencing in parts of it. He certainly was not an open borders propenant regardless of how he himself got in.
Another thing of note......he found a way to take English classes after picking tomatos all day much to the derision of his fellow illegal immigrants. I guess that there are ways to learn a countries dominant language no matter how old or legal you are
Gimme a break.. you guys label anyone who wants some sort of legalization for illegal immigrants here as open border proponents.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Gimme a break.. you guys label anyone who wants some sort of legalization for illegal immigrants here as open border proponents.
You can 'gimme a break'. I was refering to Dr Quinonas (sp?) of the article and how he allows that the border does need to be maintained and monitered. Nowhere did he say he wanted open borders or amnesty for current illegals.
As far as I was aware, you were neither mentioned nor quoated in the article

Old 06-26-2008, 01:32 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,175,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Today, Dr. Alfredo Quiñones-Hinojosa may be living the American dream.

As one of the nation's leading brain surgeons, he has built an exceptional career at Baltimore's legendary Johns Hopkins Hospital, surgically treating patients with brain tumors and leading cutting-edge research into cures for brain cancer. And he is one of the doctors featured on the new ABC series "Hopkins."

That's one out of 30 million.

I'm impressed, NOT!

Old 06-26-2008, 01:33 PM

2,257 posts, read 3,455,178 times
He can stay. The other 11,999,999 can go home

Old 06-26-2008, 03:18 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,793,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
You can 'gimme a break'. I was refering to Dr Quinonas (sp?) of the article and how he allows that the border does need to be maintained and monitered. Nowhere did he say he wanted open borders or amnesty for current illegals.
As far as I was aware, you were neither mentioned nor quoated in the article
Show me a quote of one politican saying they want open borders and amnesty for current illegal immigrants.

Quote:
After living on U.S. soil for more than half of his life, Quiñones-Hinojosa believes that a border fence is not the solution to illegal immigration.
"I think it's just a patch, and I think that's not going to be a solution," Quiñones-Hinojosa said of border fences. "As long as there is poverty, as long as there's inequality, people are going to look for better ways to survive. It's human nature."

I am not so sure you read the article camping.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Show me a quote of one politican saying they want open borders and amnesty for current illegal immigrants.

I am not so sure you read the article camping.

John McCain said in 2003 "I think we can set up a program where amnesty is extended to a certain number of people who are eligible. Amnesty has to be an important part because there are people who have lived in this country for 20, 30 or 40 years, who have raised children here, paid taxes here and are not citizens. That has to be a component of it."

People are getting a little wiser about what illegal immigration means to the blue collar worker, and 'amnesty' is hardly a popular word among politicians these days. Now, they phrase is 'pathway to citizenship'. Come here illegally, pay a fine, voila! You are now a citizen. Amnesty by any other name.......

And I did read the article, and he is saying that a desire to cross the border is there and will always be there as long as poverty and corruption exists in countries within walking distance. That is a long way from saying that we should let them all in without restraint.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:42 AM

608 posts, read 881,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
He can stay. The other 11,999,999 can go home
Just takes one to support hypocrisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration