U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 12:24 PM

504 posts, read 1,619,132 times

Advertisements

Yes, its time to rid ourselves of spite and slanderous talk and start being the kind of people that we are with good ideas and solutions.
Unfortunately we care more about Iraq and its citizens, that our problems have been put on the back burner and we have become frustrated and angry. Unfortunately our anger should be directed at those that caused these problems not the people that have been more or less welcomed in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 12:39 PM

13,140 posts, read 35,972,978 times
I also seen on Lou Dobbs a while back how in Atlanta and other places of traditional Black stronghold how illegals are displacing Black workers and that racial tensions between the two groups are rising...Even the NAACP seems Terrified and Flustered as to what to do about illegals displacing Black workers....

Old 01-14-2007, 01:04 PM

I remember when the complaints were against the Asians taking jobs, but when the Asians started to speak English and got educated and assimilated the talk shut down as it will when this happens again.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:18 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,462,979 times
I don't know if anyone gets yahoo-picks, but today one of their picks was an historical perspective on immigration and the hostility in the US about various nationals. It was good to be reminded of the different periods in our history where one particular group--like the Asians--were singled out but the ones that really hit home for me are the WWII concentration camps (later admitted to be unjustified); the MacArthur area (later admitted to be exaggerated) and several other isolationist and dark days for the United States.

Solutions! We need more real solutions proposed to local and federal government to minimize our burgeoning population, but not the escalating angry that isn't doing us any real good--it isn't accomplishing anything except perhaps a lighter spleen.

Actually in that same website that yahoo picked I believe I read we have some precedents about immigration and the containment of the flow of too many people from any given country. These laws, although old, are still on the books and could be resurrected by a smart attorney, or local politician.

At present my community wouldn't want to take this on as it has traditionally been a bi-lingual, tri-cultural community, but there are surely other communities and/or local governments that could start a measured approach to the increase of immigrants without portfolio (legality).

Old 01-14-2007, 02:24 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,180,936 times
Exclamation But-

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
I remember when the complaints were against the Asians taking jobs, but when the Asians started to speak English and got educated and assimilated the talk shut down as it will when this happens again.
this won't happen- Asians assimilated and are hard workers. I have not seen that to be true of others.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:47 PM

One of the first things anti immigration people say about Mexicans is that they work hard and I certainly can vouch for that, and I have known a lot, I live in Tampa Florida and this county has had illegal and legal Mexican workers for almost as long as we have had strawberries and citrus.
The Asians are very family oriented as are most of the Latinos.
May be you have the idea of the Mexican with his Sombrero over his head taking his siesta, from some old American Movie, I assure this is just an ugly stereo type. It certainly is not true of the Mexican families in my neighborhood or the Mexicans that work these fields.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:13 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,180,936 times
I lived and paid taxes in South Florida for 10 years. My father fought for the U.S. To say they all work hard is a generalization. Did you live in Miami. Take a stroll through Coconut Grove sometime, after 10 PM.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:21 PM

597 posts, read 1,786,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Do you support his stance? Why is he (and the administration) doing what they are doing? Is it good or bad? Thanks for all replies!.

sunny.
What is Bush doing? Jack and s#@^...and Jack left town.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:24 PM

I have lived in Florida on and off since 1959, I have lived in Palm Beach, Melbourne, Tampa, Lake Worth,Key West, Summerland Key, my father spend over 20 years in the Navy and my ex husband spend time in Viet nam, that has nothing to do with how hard illegals work, For the most part I have seen only hard workers. I am sure you can point out some lazy ones, but I can also point out a good many of our fellow citizens who don't exactly get up in the morning and go to work. I used to work at night and slept in the day did it occur to you that that may be the case or perhaps thier was no work that day? By the way my ex husband and my father are not up in arms about all the illegals, more worried about the Iraqis and the Iranians and present administration.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:31 PM

483 posts, read 1,746,559 times
To be fair to *honest* employers, there is lag time of as much as a year (but usually more like two months) for notification of mismatch between name and Social Security Number.

My company does background checks on all new hires, and they find out about bad SS numbers within a week. Sometimes it's amistake (wrong #, wrong last name), but most of the time they're fake.

Asians assimilated and are hard workers.

Not all of them. Boston, San Francisco, and Seattle have big problems with Asian gangs.

Last edited by Hatless Wonder; 01-14-2007 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: more information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or