U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2007, 04:41 PM

597 posts, read 1,787,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless Wonder View Post
To be fair to *honest* employers, there is lag time of as much as a year (but usually more like two months) for notification of mismatch between name and Social Security Number.

My company does background checks on all new hires, and they find out about bad SS numbers within a week. Sometimes it's amistake (wrong #, wrong last name), but most of the time they're fake.

Asians assimilated and are hard workers.

Not all of them. Boston, San Francisco, and Seattle have big problems with Asian gangs.
You are quite accurate, but lets be honest, it is usually pretty easy to tell if someone is illegal (at least the ones that speak like 2 words of english). But, sometimes it is hard, so I do see your point. Also, on the point of Asians, you are very accurate as well. There are certain groups of Asians who haven't assimilated well in the US as a whole. I'm not totally certain if I remember correctly, but I believe I read that immigrants from Malaysia, Thailand, and Cambodia (essentially south Asians) all had very high rates of welfare (somewhere around 50%). Whether or not that ties in with assimilation is questionable, but I think if your welfare rate is that high, you need to assimilate better. Being from WA, I have heard a lot of complaints from Seattle folk about some of the problems there are with some Asian communities. Just my 2 cents.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 05:31 PM

2 posts, read 1,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Not much--yet. But today for the first time I saw a short piece on the changing complexion in California (I think it was CNN but I pulled it up on yahoo news).

It addressed the severe problems between African Americans and Hispanic populations and focused on the hate crime of a young girl, and the way the Blacks feel about the change (for the negative)--losing jobs, homes, communities, the big and small picture.

It didn't take overall immigration into account, but it's a step in having the issues more widely known and talked about.

Frankly, the change of face has been recognized for several years--but as this little snippet on the news showed, it was slow and steady and folks didn't really get a handle on it (nor did the government).

You failed to mention that it was a young black girl that was murdered by a hispanic gang. Part of an initiation into the gang--killing a black.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:33 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,484,350 times
Sorry, I thought I had implied it. Thanks for adding the additional material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzark View Post
You failed to mention that it was a young black girl that was murdered by a hispanic gang. Part of an initiation into the gang--killing a black.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
They will listen if you stop voting for them. VOTING DRIVES!!!
You really ARE in an ivory bubble. Voting doesn't work because EVERYONE ELSE has to have enough sense to vote them out--instead of being caught in the "vote the party" koolaid drinking mindset.

The other problem is that there are only two [viable] parties (see the "vote the mindset" remark above); and now they are virtually the same.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:59 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,207,880 times
Lightbulb lol-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
What is Bush doing? Jack and s#@^...and Jack left town.
TRUE--- we are all upset but- we have no control- everyone keeps saying write your congressman- oh please- everyone is voicing their anger- and Bush doesn't care. Now we know we do not live in a democracy. May as well take out tax dollars to Vancouver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or