U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 07:15 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Bunch of cherry picking BS. In recent news, blacks in Queens have a higher average income than whites in Queens. How is this. The black carribean population living there. Now considering the black carribean population is smaller than the African american one, points to the fact that they are doing well enough to raise the average income of all blacks in Queens to the point of being higher than whites. But let's be fair. Many of these blacks immigrants where of the educated/upwardly mobile class back in their homelands. The same applies to Asian immigrants. Obviously you can't paint Asians in general just by the more ambitious ones who happen to be immigrating here to what many of them call "the mouth of gold" or "America, a big (explative) waiting to get fcked". Then you have Mexicans and Central Americans, the poorest of them just walking across a vast land border. Do any of you have any idea of how low the Japanese look upon their Korean and Chinese immigrants. They accuse them of causing more crime (cough, cough), sound familiar? We don't need any immigrants, we will be fine. It's when a majority of us start saying we're screwed unless we replace ourselves with people from other countries. That's when you worry, wtf....
Well stated.

BTW: the most successful socio-economic group in the USA are Blacks who legally immigrated here from Africa in the last 50 or so years along with their US born children-----Nigerians, Kenyans, and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 10:20 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,989,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Well stated.

BTW: the most successful socio-economic group in the USA are Blacks who legally immigrated here from Africa in the last 50 or so years along with their US born children-----Nigerians, Kenyans, and so on.
Along with the Cubans who immigrated within the same time frame.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:04 AM

148 posts, read 568,234 times
Default Yes they have really helped Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Along with the Cubans who immigrated within the same time frame.

Yes the Cuban people have really helped make Miami become the friendly safe and welcoming City it is!!

Old 06-29-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
Yes the Cuban people have really helped make Miami become the friendly safe and welcoming City it is!!
Are you referring to the Cuban political refugees from 1959 or the 1980 Mariel boat lift crowd? The latter had a very bad reputation.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:35 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,989,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Are you referring to the Cuban political refugees from 1959 or the 1980 Mariel boat lift crowd? The latter had a very bad reputation.
Yes, the "Marielitos" did gain a rather poor reputation but I worked with for the INS as a translator-interpreter for the Mariel Parole Panels and the reputation they got was to a great degree, unfairly given them. According to INS figures less than 10% of the total pf 124,779 (I dug this figure out of my old notebooks. It is the official figure as of 1988)people ended up in prison and very often it was not on serious charges but simply out of ignorance of their status. That is not to say that there were no hard nosed criminals. There were plenty.

Most of the Marielitos did very well. Here in Chicago they moved into depressed Latino neighborhoods and today those neighborhoods flourish economically and are relatively crime free as compared to before the Marielitos bought businesses and property there. After 15 years of working with the Marielitos I can tell you a million stories; some good andd others not so good. Some funny and some very sad ones. All in all and over the long term I believe the majority of Marielitos have been good for the country. Yes I know it was Carter's doing but hey..even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:52 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,023,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Bunch of cherry picking BS. In recent news, blacks in Queens have a higher average income than whites in Queens. How is this. The black carribean population living there. Now considering the black carribean population is smaller than the African american one, points to the fact that they are doing well enough to raise the average income of all blacks in Queens to the point of being higher than whites. But let's be fair. Many of these blacks immigrants where of the educated/upwardly mobile class back in their homelands. The same applies to Asian immigrants. Obviously you can't paint Asians in general just by the more ambitious ones who happen to be immigrating here to what many of them call "the mouth of gold" or "America, a big (explative) waiting to get fcked". Then you have Mexicans and Central Americans, the poorest of them just walking across a vast land border. Do any of you have any idea of how low the Japanese look upon their Korean and Chinese immigrants. They accuse them of causing more crime (cough, cough), sound familiar? We don't need any immigrants, we will be fine. It's when a majority of us start saying we're screwed unless we replace ourselves with people from other countries. That's when you worry, wtf....
Dude, this rant goes all over the place...

Old 06-30-2008, 12:51 AM

7 posts, read 2,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
I teach during the evenings at a local College. Almost without exception the best students are from China, India, Singapore and Korea. We also did an analysis of the best students in the High School I work at during the day, and 75% of them are from Asia.

I am convinced that the Asian Students are going to save America from it self when they grow up and get into the workplace.

But in the mean time Asia may kill America. They are growing so fast and work so hard! So many of the American Born Students are lazy and not so bright.

(I am a White American Born person)
The single most imporant factor predicting outcome in academics is family values and support, it is true that asians put education at the top of
their priorities which results in better academic performance, but race has absolutely nothing to do with this, I come from a very successfull family
of Puerto-Rican ancestry and all my extended family including myself, have done very well, btw one of my nephews was accepted to Harvard at the top of the list this year, however, that doesn't translate into every single Puerto-rican ibeing academically successfull. You can separate identical asian twins at birth and raise one to be a genius, and the other to be total failure.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:00 AM

3,172 posts, read 5,993,791 times
Not all Asians are so succesful in America.

I notice a pattern of Chinese, Japanese, and Korean being more well off in America than say Cambodians, Laotians, Vietnamese, etc.

I have seen many of the Southeast Asians with a gang problem.

Why is that I wonder?

Also, to the OP, as a teacher, I hope you remain open minded and don't count out your non-Asian students.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarazo View Post
The single most imporant factor predicting outcome in academics is family values and support, it is true that asians put education at the top of
their priorities which results in better academic performance, but race has absolutely nothing to do with this, I come from a very successfull family
of Puerto-Rican ancestry and all my extended family including myself, have done very well, btw one of my nephews was accepted to Harvard at the top of the list this year, however, that doesn't translate into every single Puerto-rican ibeing academically successfull. You can separate identical asian twins at birth and raise one to be a genius, and the other to be total failure.
Puerto Ricans also have a significant advantage as well: all of them are US citizens.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Not all Asians are so succesful in America.

I notice a pattern of Chinese, Japanese, and Korean being more well off in America than say Cambodians, Laotians, Vietnamese, etc.

I have seen many of the Southeast Asians with a gang problem.

Why is that I wonder?

Also, to the OP, as a teacher, I hope you remain open minded and don't count out your non-Asian students.
OK: I cannot speak for all Cambodians in all fairness; but I knew one lady from there.....

She came to the USA @ about age 10 without her parents; and her English is almost flawless-----if anything, she seems to have a Southern twang like someone from Texas, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or