Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 12:45 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,313,944 times

Advertisements

a better example would be Mexico's immigration policy towards people from central america, especially guatemalans.. which is pretty well known.. the US's immigration policy towards illegals when compared to Mexico's seems like the most hospitable paradise on earth lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 01:26 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,038,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So if they have social services, why the draw to risk life, spend 2-5 grand just to come here Illegally? Then to top it off live in fear and hide in the shadows. There aren't jobs right now.

Is Mexico that bad?
That's a very good question and I can only guess, as I'm not Mexican myself. I know at least in the country where I was born, we have free schools with free or affordable meals, very affordable child care programs, very affordable healthcare depending on your income. What the average person pays is pocket change. There are plenty of social programs... but you have to live in the city or a big town. For whatever reason money always gets stolen in the smaller towns. Maybe Mexico is the same way. Of course the government is to blame for not making sure the money arrives to those areas but the money gets sent there. I know that for a fact, that the money gets sent there and it's stolen by some mayors, governors and other politicians.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
So if they have social services, why the draw to risk life, spend 2-5 grand just to come here Illegally? Then to top it off live in fear and hide in the shadows. There aren't jobs right now.

Is Mexico that bad?
a lot of the people from mexico coming here illegally (id say most) come from rural places in mexico... distant villages and what not. the average desperate man or woman crossing the border dont even have a formal education, can't read or write.. many never had our equivalent of a social sec #.. and many of them are indigenous.
add to that, that 1 USD is about 13 mexican pesos... so they could probably just as easily find construction jobs out there.. but if they get $10 an hour for an 8 hour workday here, it equals to $1,045 mexican pesos.. whereas $10 pesos an hour gets them 80 pesos for the same amount of work. a gallon of milk being 6.50$ pesos.. after the bare essentials u dont have much to work with.
with that said, a lot of illegals began to go back following the financial crisis of a few years ago.. there were no jobs, anywhere, many of them gave up n went back.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:52 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,019,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
a better example would be Mexico's immigration policy towards people from central america, especially guatemalans.. which is pretty well known.. the US's immigration policy towards illegals when compared to Mexico's seems like the most hospitable paradise on earth lol.
Perhaps it is time to copy/paste Mx's ways of dealing with illegal aliens into our laws...........short of torture, etc.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:13 PM

sure why not
then we can also adopt jamaica's way of dealing with homosexuals
and saudi arabia's way of dealing with rape, rape victims, theft, adultery
and china's way of dealing with political dissent.. or child labor.. or internet content
write your congressman or woman.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:26 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,516,971 times
Quote:
sure why not
and china's way of dealing with political dissent.. or child labor.. or internet content
Sounds like you're coming VERY close to saying that we "have something" here in America, that other societies don't have....and that perhaps while we may welcome the PEOPLE from these places, we probably ought to be a little 'choosy' in importing all of their 'practices' into our society...that we should 'let in the good', but 'keep out the bad'...(i.e., make choices and set limits).

I'm not sure if that's what you're saying...but it seems like it to me. Actually, it's a lot like what I've been saying, too, now that I think of it.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:35 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,275,936 times
Quote:
sure why not
Nope! Mexico's immigration policies are not unfair just a little harsher and they work because they enforce them. That is why we should adopt them. All the policies by other countries that you mentioned are not fair and not moral. We don't want to adopt them. Good try with your apples and oranges though.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:39 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,516,971 times
Quote:

Is Mexico that bad?
Not "bad" by world standards, not at all....but QUITE bad if you're close by the US, able to pick up our satellite TV and get the 'fallout' of our seductive consumer culture. The lure can be almost irresistible; traditionally, there has been virtually NO 'downside' to immigrating here illegally from Mexico. I've talked to, and dealt with NUMEROUS illegals over the years, and most see it as simply a 'move'...like leaving New Jersey for a job in Texas....disruptive, a little uncomfortable...but well worth it for the boost in living standards.

Mexicans aren't 'poor' in an absolute way...they're poor in comparison to the US....and their government has almost ZERO interest in alleviating their misery. The prospect of the 'disgruntled masses' leaving the country isn't a 'problem' for the upper classes of Mexico..it's a PLUS.

Mexican illegals have always come here because there's traditionally never been any compelling reason for them NOT to. It's been MOSTLY 'all gain', no risk.

That is changing, things are tightening up, and the situation will change...but up to now, most of the 'downside' of illegal immigration has affected the US wage earner...NOT the illegals, NOT their employers, and NOT Mexican society....all of these folks have seen the situation as a 'plus'.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Sounds like you're coming VERY close to saying that we "have something" here in America, that other societies don't have....and that perhaps while we may welcome the PEOPLE from these places, we probably ought to be a little 'choosy' in importing all of their 'practices' into our society...that we should 'let in the good', but 'keep out the bad'...(i.e., make choices and set limits).

I'm not sure if that's what you're saying...but it seems like it to me. Actually, it's a lot like what I've been saying, too, now that I think of it.
i dont come close to saying it. i know the United States offers a myriad of things missing in other countries, perhaps the most attractive of all for immigrants are the chances for upward mobility and opportunity. why else would people from all over the world come here? nothing ive said or nothing u posted above contradicts.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:43 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,019,034 times
Quote:
i dont come close to saying it. i know the United States offers a myriad of things missing in other countries, perhaps the most attractive of all for immigrants are the chances for upward mobility and opportunity. why else would people from all over the world come here? nothing ive said or nothing u posted above contradicts.
And you just confirmed why the USA really needs to not only tighten down on illegal immigration but, reform its laws to favor people from First World nations..............preferably English speaking ones. If it means that most Mexicans get cut out..............tough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration