U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-28-2008, 03:50 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,996,951 times
Reputation: 332

Advertisements

Obama, McCain spar over immigration - Yahoo! News (broken link)

I look forward to reading about them speaking to the National Council of La Raza to hear what they, and the group themselves, have to say.

I'm also looking forward to finding out what the real deal is with the NCLR. I haven't heard much about them aside from what I've read on this forum and from Minuteman, Saveourstate, and American Resolve type protests.

Obviously those groups are somewhat biased, so I'm going to have to do research on that myself.


I really hope Latino voters get it together and vote for Obama despite most of them having voted for Hilary.

My opinion is that Latinos are uncomfortable voting for a Black president, because with all the bickering among the communities, they feel that thier issues(not including immigration) will be compromised.

Likewise, I think if Blacks were given a chance between a White president and a Latino president, they would choose the White president as well. For the same reason, since it seems the Black community is resenting the fact Latinos have become the largest minority group, because they feel their issues will once again be put on the back burner as Latinos gain voting power.

Thats how I see it anyways. It's going to be an interesting election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2008, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Obama, McCain spar over immigration - Yahoo! News (broken link)

I look forward to reading about them speaking to the National Council of La Raza to hear what they, and the group themselves, have to say.

I'm also looking forward to finding out what the real deal is with the NCLR. I haven't heard much about them aside from what I've read on this forum and from Minuteman, Saveourstate, and American Resolve type protests.

Obviously those groups are somewhat biased, so I'm going to have to do research on that myself.


I really hope Latino voters get it together and vote for Obama despite most of them having voted for Hilary.

My opinion is that Latinos are uncomfortable voting for a Black president, because with all the bickering among the communities, they feel that thier issues(not including immigration) will be compromised.

Likewise, I think if Blacks were given a chance between a White president and a Latino president, they would choose the White president as well. For the same reason, since it seems the Black community is resenting the fact Latinos have become the largest minority group, because they feel their issues will once again be put on the back burner as Latinos gain voting power.

Thats how I see it anyways. It's going to be an interesting election.
You are correct there, my friend.

Although; as I posted on another thread, what may make it or break it come this November may be who the candidates choose for VEEPs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2008, 04:08 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,996,951 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You are correct there, my friend.

Although; as I posted on another thread, what may make it or break it come this November may be who the candidates choose for VEEPs.
Watch McCain choose a Hispanic or Black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2008, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Watch McCain choose a Hispanic or Black.
Or Bobby Jindal: he is a 'person of color' (barely).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2008, 05:00 PM
 
1,050 posts, read 1,035,342 times
Reputation: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Or Bobby Jindal: he is a 'person of color' (barely).
how is he 'barely' a person of colour?

he clearly is.

that said, he won't get picked, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2008, 05:09 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
how is he 'barely' a person of colour?

he clearly is.

that said, he won't get picked, IMO.
50 years ago; East Indians were considered to be 'White' here in the USA to get around the old Jim Crow laws.

Culturally speaking; most US born/raised people whose ancestors hail from India are Anglo as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2008, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Obama, McCain spar over immigration - Yahoo! News (broken link)

I look forward to reading about them speaking to the National Council of La Raza to hear what they, and the group themselves, have to say.

I'm also looking forward to finding out what the real deal is with the NCLR. I haven't heard much about them aside from what I've read on this forum and from Minuteman, Saveourstate, and American Resolve type protests.

Obviously those groups are somewhat biased, so I'm going to have to do research on that myself.


I really hope Latino voters get it together and vote for Obama despite most of them having voted for Hilary.

My opinion is that Latinos are uncomfortable voting for a Black president, because with all the bickering among the communities, they feel that thier issues(not including immigration) will be compromised.

Likewise, I think if Blacks were given a chance between a White president and a Latino president, they would choose the White president as well. For the same reason, since it seems the Black community is resenting the fact Latinos have become the largest minority group, because they feel their issues will once again be put on the back burner as Latinos gain voting power.

Thats how I see it anyways. It's going to be an interesting election.
I agree with most of your post. However, I disagree with your assertion that blacks "resent" the growth of the "Hispanic" community. I simply take issue with the fact that "Hispanic" is not actually a race; and the fact that illegal aliens are being included in the stats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2008, 06:29 PM
 
635 posts, read 1,560,205 times
Reputation: 111
Yeah no doubt MCCain should focus on Latino voters for sure, especially in Florida, he will need to counter the high black turnout that existed in 2000, when the state was decided by 36 votes. There's no doubt A.A. will have an incredibly high turnout for an African American candiate. Most of his party has decided to use an enforcement only program, which has turned Latinos off, 2006 elections showed that. But he cannot turn his base off with amnesty language. He has decided to go the safe way, rather than gamble on Latino Voters. We'll see the outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2008, 06:50 PM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,435 posts, read 15,949,388 times
Reputation: 5224
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Watch McCain choose a Hispanic or Black.
wouldn't the right wing then accuse him of being a quota monger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2008, 02:07 AM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,996,951 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
wouldn't the right wing then accuse him of being a quota monger?
Gotta do what you gotta do. It would definitely give him a lot more appeal.
Choosing a Hispanic running mate would certainly give him a boost with all the Hispanic voters who don't feel 100 percent comfortable with a Black president, what with all the tension between the two communities politically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top