U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-28-2008, 11:43 PM
 
Location: Tennessee/Michigan
27,998 posts, read 46,390,031 times
Reputation: 19403

Advertisements

A fugitive enforcement team that will track down undocumented workers who miss court dates will call Waco home beginning in mid-August — and local employers are wondering if this seven-member squad will come knocking on their doors.

“I think anybody who uses immigrant labor from any country is going to be a little nervous with an enforcement office nearby,” said K. Paul Holt, president of the Waco office of Associated General Contractors.

Local construction, roofing businesses eyeing feds' immigration team cautiously (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2008, 02:17 AM
 
608 posts, read 881,514 times
Reputation: 64
Yeah but you failed to mention this sentence....

"Johnson said he’s taking part in a program that will let him employ 20 workers from Mexico for 10 months beginning in September. He said it has become a challenge to find people who want to do roofing work."

This or similar programs have already been available for the farming industry. Looks like it is being expanded to other industries. Interesting. Draw your own conclusions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2008, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
Yeah but you failed to mention this sentence....

"Johnson said he’s taking part in a program that will let him employ 20 workers from Mexico for 10 months beginning in September. He said it has become a challenge to find people who want to do roofing work."

This or similar programs have already been available for the farming industry. Looks like it is being expanded to other industries. Interesting. Draw your own conclusions.
Sounds suspiciously like an effort to sponsor said workers from Mexico-----at least they would be 'legal' with its ramifications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2008, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Arizona
2,065 posts, read 3,176,004 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
"Johnson said he’s taking part in a program that will let him employ 20 workers from Mexico for 10 months beginning in September. He said it has become a challenge to find people who want to do roofing work."
The part of that sentence that was omitted???

"at the wage the contractor is wanting to pay."

$#&*()$%&$#@^&$! GD modern-day slave drivers!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2008, 09:06 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,621,702 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
The part of that sentence that was omitted???

"at the wage the contractor is wanting to pay."

$#&*()$%&$#@^&$! GD modern-day slave drivers!!!
Excellent point. Any employer can make ANY job into a job that "Americans won't do".....just cut the wages, pile on the hours, shorten the breaks, forget the safety....and soon, 'Bingo'.....your 'Americans' no longer 'want' their jobs. Is it YOUR fault they're so 'fussy'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2008, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,822,205 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Excellent point. Any employer can make ANY job into a job that "Americans won't do".....just cut the wages, pile on the hours, shorten the breaks, forget the safety....and soon, 'Bingo'.....your 'Americans' no longer 'want' their jobs. Is it YOUR fault they're so 'fussy'?
This is precisely what has transpired during the past several years. Jobs previously held by U.S. citizens have had wages undercut to such an extent that only those living 10-15 per household can possibly accept. Construction, hospitality, landscaping, fast food, and car washing industries have become dominated by cheap illegal labor. Couple this with the surge in cheap foreign labor through outsourcing and insourcing……the greedy unscrupulous employers are essentially annihilating the middle-class and low-skilled workforce. It’s appalling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2008, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
This is precisely what has transpired during the past several years. Jobs previously held by U.S. citizens have had wages undercut to such an extent that only those living 10-15 per household can possibly accept. Construction, hospitality, landscaping, fast food, and car washing industries have become dominated by cheap illegal labor. Couple this with the surge in cheap foreign labor through outsourcing and insourcing……the greedy unscrupulous employers are essentially annihilating the middle-class and low-skilled workforce. It’s appalling.
Suffice to say: my wages have dropped about 15% factoring in core inflation since 1990 here in the Phx area-------and, the cost of living has exploded way beyond said core.

Although; more and more investors who were greedy are receiving their 'payback', so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top