Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 12:07 PM

989 posts, read 5,923,606 times

Advertisements

I agree with the first poster-GO NORTH! Look for snow, skiing, and snowmobiles.

In the southern US, you either have be extremely wealthy-or live next door. Hispanics in general can't afford ritzy homes.

LA is 65% Hispanic, Beverly Hills is ONLY 3%, Malibu is ONLY 2%.

Either get rich, or move north.

Hmm, no wonder northern areas are so safe.. Honestly, We should deport all the illegals to the cold weather and import all the nice people from the cold north.

By the way, I just bought a "STOP THE INVASION" bumper sticker and I can't wait to slap it on my car and see illegals reactions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 12:31 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,465,842 times
Thumbs down History Will Repeat Itself

Much of the ignorance, stereotypes, and generalizations will unfortunately backfire on "White Americans". Not only is it unfair, improper, and terrible character toward these people, it's a tough hole for caucasians, including myself, to get out of.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:01 PM

603 posts, read 1,994,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
Either get rich, or move north.
Hmm, no wonder northern areas are so safe.. Honestly, We should deport all the illegals to the cold weather and import all the nice people from the cold north.
By north do you mean Canada? I'm from eastern WA, and there are many towns on that side of the state that are 80%+ hispanic, including many illegals. There is lots of crime from gangs that have been brought in by the illegals, so if you think you'll be safe from illegals going up north, you are crazy. Anyway, I just wanted to get some clarity. Maybe you were talking about Alaska, cause I don't think they have a big problem there...

Old 01-20-2007, 05:08 PM

271 posts, read 83,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
A robber could rob my house, and I couldn't claim he's breaking the law everyday since he committed that act.
And if he breaks in then lives in your home?

Last edited by Yac; 01-21-2007 at 03:11 PM..

Old 01-20-2007, 05:32 PM

109 posts, read 210,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaecamp View Post
There is a huge difference in the actions of illegal versus legal immagrants in this country. My husband is Mexican-American. His Grandparents brought his father to the US (legally!) as a child. They have a great life here and work hard and are every bit as "American" as other people who are here legally. If that were the way it was done all the time there wouldn't be as many issues as there are. Being in the SW I know quite a few of both groups, mainly from Mexico, and as far as they go, it seems that you can usually tell by their actions. Americans work and generally bust their butts to take care of themselves, pay lots of taxes and insurance and other things that help America as a whole including poor people. Whether or not they are born here. People here illegally don't seem to try or want to do any of these things. I have a lot of respect for people who come here legally to seek a better life (no matter where they are from), however how can I be expected to have respect for someone who chooses to break the law every day? I also don't have respect for Americans who break the law every day by driving without insurance, stealing, doing drugs, or any of the other things that "we" do. If someone wants to try to demand respect they should get themselves in order to deserve it. And if you agree with people coming here illegally, do you also agree with other ways to break the law or get around the system?
jaecamp, We are on the same page, as I mentioned my wife is also mexican american, she and my children speak fluent spainish.
When they go to many local places, in particular the local market, the illegals are huddled around making very obsene remarks.
The legal immigrants never conduct themselves in this manner.
As you stated, you know them by their actions, the majority of them have no desire to asimilate to our culture.
They have no desire to abide by our laws, they do desire to take advantage of our system.
The illegals make my wife and children ashamed of their heritage, that is a shame.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:42 PM

603 posts, read 1,994,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfecttan01 View Post
jaecamp, We are on the same page, as I mentioned my wife is also mexican american, she and my children speak fluent spainish.
When they go to many local places, in particular the local market, the illegals are huddled around making very obsene remarks.
The legal immigrants never conduct themselves in this manner.
As you stated, you know them by their actions, the majority of them have no desire to asimilate to our culture.
They have no desire to abide by our laws, they do desire to take advantage of our system.
The illegals make my wife and children ashamed of their heritage, that is a shame.
That is a shame and I have heard this many times from people in similar situations. I know it's a stereotype of how you describe illegals and their behavior, but there are a good number that do act in this manner and we shouldn't have to put up with it. I've seen it for years back when I was living in eastern WA. These are freeloaders. Leeches to our system and what they take from our society and government is reflected in our rising tax burden. I feel sorry for your wife and children that they feel this way, but they shouldn't be ashamed of their heritage, they should be ashamed of the people that claim people's anger over this illegal immigration mess is because they're racist. IMO that is the real travesty. This is what blocks any true progress from being made.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:52 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,465,842 times
I'm done with every illegal immigration thread on this site. The treatment towards illegal immigrants breaks me in half. You win.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:53 PM

271 posts, read 83,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfecttan01 View Post
That is very unfortunate! And I agree with you totally. My husband doesn't like to consider himself a Mexican at all, and he gets angry when someone refers to him as Mexican. I think thats sad when a person can't be proud of where they came from because a few people act a certain way and create stereotypes like that.

Old 01-20-2007, 08:13 PM

38 posts, read 143,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
Without knowing any facts about where exactly I reside, you playfully stereotype that they are illegal immigrants. Did it ever occur to you that being a Hispanic or Latino is not equal to being an illegal immigrant? I am a White and Hispanic citizen, I speak Spanish, and you would never know my status by merely glancing in my direction.

Your bigotry is nothing short of disgusting.
I agree with you... lol sometimes i'm pretty much embarrassed of admitting i'm hispanic (i'm a white one too); as i either have to hear the "are you an illegal?" comment, or worse, greencard hispanics get angry because i don't have to face the whole papers dilemma and that somehow makes them jealous. [i'm a white hispanic of Puerto Rican origin].

And at a glance, at least from my perspective, Not all hispanics are here to destroy the american way of life (Heck, in fact i myself came to America to be able to enjoy it); i also know a few hispanics who are totally into american culture. I only wonder what native born americans would think of us (would they deport us too? Although i'm a legal US citizen by birth...)

Old 01-20-2007, 11:07 PM

355 posts, read 842,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
...Hispanics in general can't afford ritzy homes...
LA is 65% Hispanic, Beverly Hills is ONLY 3%, Malibu is ONLY 2%...
Instead of pointing out the flaws in this statement, I will instead provide a few statistics from Wikipedia and the beloved City Data regarding Orange County, CA and Miami-Dade County, FL. Both are known for having high wealthy populations and high Hispanic populations. The available data sample is based on cities or census designated areas with Hispanic populations at 15 or greater percent (2000 census). In 2004, the Hispanic population of the U.S. was at 14.5% and the Median Household Income (MFI not provided) was $43,389.

Brea, CA- 20.3% Hispanic and Median Family Income (MFI) is $68,423.
Cypress, CA- 15.6% Hispanic and MFI is $70,060.
Dana Point, CA- 15.49% Hispanic and MFI is $73,373.
Laguna Hills, CA- 16.4% Hispanic and MFI is $83,334.
Lake Forest, CA- 18.5% Hispanic and MFI is $75,121.
Los Alamitos, CA- 16.02% Hispanic and MFI is $60,767.
Orange, CA- 32.16% Hispanic and MFI is $64.573.
Placentia, CA- 31.1% Hispanic and MFI is $68,976.
San Clemente, CA- 15.8% Hispanic and MFI is $76,261.
San Juan Capistrano, CA- 33.1% Hispanic and MFI is $69,481.

Aventura, FL- 20.6% Hispanic and MFI is $59,507.
Coral Gables, FL- 46.6% Hispanic and MFI is $98,553.
Doral, FL- 67.4% Hispanic and MFI is $57,193.
Golden Beach, FL- 21.7% Hispanic and MFI is $141,557.
Key Biscayne, FL- 49.7% Hispanic and MFI is $107,610.
Miami Lakes, FL- 66.52% Hispanic and MFI is $68,431.
Miami Shores, FL- 21.7% Hispanic and MFI is $64,963.
Pinecrest, FL- 29.6% Hispanic and MFI is $122,526.
Surfside, FL- 43.5% Hispanic and MFI is $56,327.
The Crossings, FL- 56.1% and MFI is $60,263.

Conclude from these statistics what you will. The longstanding stereotype that Hispanics are poor, uneducated, and lazy needs to be dispelled. Stating that Beverly Hills and Malibu are < 5% Hispanic does not prove that Hispanics cannot afford to live in affluent or "ritzy" areas any more than stating that Yucca Valley, Kern County, CA, (16,800 total pop, 11.9% Hispanic) 87.2% white and 19.5% population below the poverty line, proves that only areas with high concentrations of whites suffer from widespread poverty.

Last edited by Amavel; 01-20-2007 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration