Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 11:56 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times

Advertisements

I have never said I hated them, just what they do i know plenty of legal hispanics that have my upmost respect. I would do anything for my family as well, but would NEVER expect people to pay for my ride or expect people to change in order to accomidate me or my family. I would assimulate and do what I needed to do to get work and pay my dues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 11:59 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
I am tired of the hatred and the misunderstanding that so many people have toward Latinos who are doing what I would do for my family.
ah hah a very respectable statement in which I agree whole heartedly!

Old 01-17-2007, 12:41 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Did you interview those millions?
No, many have written it here on this site millions may be stretching it just a figure of speech. Not, in those exact words but, many support as written in their own words on this site. They tell us have just as much right to be here even if it harms our economy and depletes our resources.
Have you forgotten we have many poor people already, since you get around you must have seen them.
Sitting on the streets with buckets hoping someone will drop a dime. People holding signs I will work for food these are American poor people that don't get near what the illegals receive when they step onto U.S. soil.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
No, many have written it here on this site millions may be stretching it just a figure of speech. Not, in those exact words but, many support as written in their own words on this site. They tell us have just as much right to be here even if it harms our economy and depletes our resources.
Have you forgotten we have many poor people already, since you get around you must have seen them.
Sitting on the streets with buckets hoping someone will drop a dime. People holding signs I will work for food these are American poor people that don't get near what the illegals receive when they step onto U.S. soil.
I am with ya!! I think it is a disgrace that so many put the needs of illegals over the needs of the millions here that are poor. Americans come first, then we can look at helping the others.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:51 PM

504 posts, read 1,764,297 times
How many have you personally talked too is what I want to know, not one that I have talked to has said anything any where near that, I am sure it has been said by the few and the loudest, that may be what you have more dealings with than I but the ones I know are not going around saying or implying such things, start talking to them and see for your self what they want, don't use the excuse you can't speak Spanish or they do not speak English, you will be able to communicate.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
This is nothing more than an attempt to distract from the issue at hand. If the statement were made, 'millions of Americans shop for groceries each week', would you feel you needed to go out and interview each one of the millions of grocery shoppers before accepting the statement as true?

Wildberries61's strongly voiced underlying complaint, I suspect, is that many illegal aliens seem to be taking advantage of the safety net of social services and medical care in the US. This system was put in place to provide for needy American citizens requiring assistance. It was never intended to serve as the provider of medical care for millions of citizens of other countries who are here illegally. It is widely known that illegals use ER's as a primary health care provider since (thanks to the EMTALA passed in 1986) anyone who enters an ER with any complaint must be treated. If you can provide me with evidence that this is NOT occuring, I will be very pleased.

Below are excerpts from a Dec 2006 article in the NC Times:

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/12/25/news/state/122401122509.txt (broken link)

And here is an excerpt from an Oct 2006 article in the NYTimes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/19/us...rssnyt&emc=rss

Now, this is the most amazing thing........why is it that the US taxpayer is left to foot the bill for the medical care of illegal aliens while at the same time said aliens are sending billions to their home countries? One is led to suspect that a signicant number of these individuals who have come to the US 'only because they seek a better life for themselves and their families' feel little to no allegiance to the country they have illegally entered or they would not behave as they do. If there was any desire to become a member of American society they would not do things like show up at an ER, give a fictitious name and information and promptly disappear once care has been provided leaving the bill to be paid by the US taxpayer.
All the while sending their own money out of the country. I do not consider the flagrant disregard of US law and playing the US taxpayer as a patsy to be evidence of anything other than a desire to 'game the system'. Surely we expect better than this of potential citizens.

Could not have said any better, this explains alot of our fustrations very well, thank you!!!!

Old 01-17-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
How many have you personally talked too is what I want to know, not one that I have talked to has said anything any where near that, I am sure it has been said by the few and the loudest, that may be what you have more dealings with than I but the ones I know are not going around saying or implying such things, start talking to them and see for your self what they want, don't use the excuse you can't speak Spanish or they do not speak English, you will be able to communicate.
I have talked to plenty of illegals in our profession, many make it perfectly clear what they want. Alot know english they just refuse to use it they prefer to watch us struggle to understand. Which has just made my stance against them much stronger. the ones I have dealt with love the lack of "policing' as most have said. they do what they want and have no problems with it.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:37 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,247 times
Thank you for the information andreabeath. I clearly understand it's not right for anyone to receive free services in the United States. Do not forget much of it results in a snowball effect, if you are not a registered citizen, it's quite difficult to pay taxes and sign up for health insurance. Yes, its a burden on fiscal American tax dollars, but you can't deny services to people already in the country. There are poor people in the United States, and they should have free say to the jobs they desire over illegal immigrants. Most employeers will hire a poor citizen folk over an illegal immigrant, because they have more compassion because of citizenship. Poor citizen folk neither had a job in the first place or have little education or vocational training, limiting their income level. There are plenty of menial jobs in the United States.

Old 01-20-2007, 08:56 AM

16 posts, read 17,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Rather than marching in our streeets and demanding things to which they are not entitled, such as the right to vote, illegal aliens should perhaps devote their energies to promoting change within their home countries so that they can have a reasonable standard of living there.
Right on the money, great! yeah, if they can do it in a foreign country, why can't and won't they do it in their own country? They are just making themselves look stupid here. And too many people got the true idea of "freedom" just so wrong. It never means you can do crazy and I mean insane, things. Especially where you don't even belong to.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:04 AM

16 posts, read 17,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
Sounds so simple to you or I, Andreabeth, but such is not the case in the majority of Latin America. Moreso than in the United States, there is an impenetrable social structure that keeps the poor as poor and the rich as rich. There is little or no middle class and racism is as rampant as poverty.

Its the first logical reaction for many on this board to be frustrated about illegal immigrants and their failure to change their own homelands. Therein lies the soul of this issue-- they cannot change their countries, their gov'ts have no plans to become legitimate, thus their only viable option is to migrate to the States to seek opportunity for their family and the chance to rise above their economic status.
Oh sure they will NEVER be able to change even their own country because they are not proud enough of themselves. Each person cares only about himself and his family but not his own countrys men. They are just simply selfish, that's what it is dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration