U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which side do you think is the MORE "racist" side in the immigration debate?
Anti-illegal alien activists 5 13.16%
Pro-illegal alien activists 25 65.79%
Neither are racist 4 10.53%
Both are equally racist 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-01-2008, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Lakes & Mountains of East TN
3,454 posts, read 6,437,402 times
Reputation: 873

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
As a black american, I think I know a little bit about what racism feels like so before you draw your claws. I think a thousand people is too many when you consider how malicious racism is and how much damage it has caused although, I know there are easily 10X that number just supporting the KKK alone nevertheless other groups and individuals not ascribed to formal groups so you go figure (most racists work under covert measures btw). If you were attacked by 50 people would you say, many people attacked you or would you say a few when describing how vicious the attack was. Maybe you'd even say a very very infinitesimal number so as to be exactly correct in your description.

My response was due to some of the "saint like" statements like no one would ever think racism is involved in these arguments. If you would read the rest of my post instead of jumping on a few words, you would see the big picture but I'm not surprised. You frequently protest too much.
oh ferpetesakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2008, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Major Metro
1,083 posts, read 2,060,069 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
oh ferpetesakes.
Back at you, appreciate the thoughful dialogue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
bb and prim:

Both you chill; please---------when it gets right down to it; you two are on the same page of anti illegal immigration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 03:26 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,995,777 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
LOL@ the results of the poll...very surprising.
I didnt even bother voting. Another one of Ocexpo's very deep, and complex polls, haha.

Its like being on a Metallica forum and making polls like,
"Do you guys think Metallica rocks, or doesn't rock"
"Which do you like better? Metallica, or NSync?"
"Would you rather listen to Metallica, or jump off a skyscraper?"


About the question, racism does exist, and to deny it would be really foolish and naive.
We are a very racialized country, always have been.
We have so many different groups in this country, how can we not notice race? Macmeal suggested this could lead to "Balkanization", but I myself think we can get along in the long run. But race is there.

And race is the 900 pound gorilla in the rooom that nobody wants to talk about in the immigration debate. It's going to come up.
The vast majority of people immigrating into this country illegally from Latin America are not white. Thats going to matter.

There are many people who don't like the individual immigrants(as opposed to those who are allowing them to work in this country), many who hate the illegals because they are "illegal". But that can turn into something worse if you let it.

When you begin to hate someone, you begin to hate everything about them. Including how they look different, how they talk different, how they act different. And its not hard for that to turn into subconsciously(or consciously) hating others that look like them, talk like them, or act like them.

But I'm not going to vote and say white anti-illegals are the racist ones! Or Mexicans are the racist one!

Right now, there are some Mexicans who are racist to Whites and Blacks.
Right now there are some Blacks who are racist to Mexicans and Whites.
Right now there are some Whites racist to Mexicans, Blacks, Arabs, etc.

Every group has some racist feelings.
But the reason that Whites are called on their racism so much, is because this is a majority White country. This country was originally built for white people, and in many ways it still kind of is.
Get a black president up there, but the majority of congress and the senate, and the supreme court will still be most white.

And when the people who have more power are racist and can do soemthing about it, they will be seen more as the "racists".

A lot of white people resent all the racist claims against white people, but I guess thats how it is.
Ive heard a lot stuff from the ant-illegal or anti-immigrant camp that come off as racist to me. Whether its direct or indirect. I dont care how many Black people and Mexican people they put in the front, I still see some of them as making some racial commentary. Not all of them, Im sure many of them are really concerned for the country and are trying to be a part of something, but I think there are plenty who just don't like Mexicans.

Look at all the membership of Neo Nazi groups and the KKK jumping because of the immigration group. How many of those nutjobs are carrying a double membership with other anti-illegal groups?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Look at all the membership of Neo Nazi groups and the KKK jumping because of the immigration group. How many of those nutjobs are carrying a double membership with other anti-illegal groups?
No doubt 'some' of the increased membership can be attributed to the illegal alien invasion. However, according to reports, a substantial amount of new membership is due to Obama being the Dem presidential nominee.

HeraldNet: White supremacy Web sites surge after Obama's Democratic victory
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 05:31 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,995,777 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No doubt 'some' of the increased membership can be attributed to the illegal alien invasion. However, according to reports, a substantial amount of new membership is due to Obama being the Dem presidential nominee.

HeraldNet: White supremacy Web sites surge after Obama's Democratic victory
That'll do it.
Obama is going to need extremely tight security for all those nutjobs. Or he's going to have to take a lesson from that old Chris Rock skit and choose a Mexican VP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
That'll do it.
Obama is going to need extremely tight security for all those nutjobs. Or he's going to have to take a lesson from that old Chris Rock skit and choose a Mexican VP.
No Mexican (or any other foreign born person unless one parent is a US citizen) can be either President or Vice President.

Now; if looking at an individual who had a Mexican parent, there is always Mitt Romney (his father, George was born/raised SOB).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No doubt 'some' of the increased membership can be attributed to the illegal alien invasion. However, according to reports, a substantial amount of new membership is due to Obama being the Dem presidential nominee.

HeraldNet: White supremacy Web sites surge after Obama's Democratic victory
In all fairness: had the Internet been around 48 years ago; JFK may have been targeted as well due to being of Irish Catholic heritage by the KKK, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2008, 11:06 PM
 
77 posts, read 101,200 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
I suppose...

... The race card is the most valuable card there is.
You're forgetting the "race card" card. The "race card" card is the new black. What is it not expected to trump?

(Nothing racial intended by the reference to "black".)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top