U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How is your state handling the illegal invasion?
Very well, our state is on top it 7 11.86%
Was really bad, but things are getting better 5 8.47%
Lots of talk, but no results 18 30.51%
Sanctuary state 29 49.15%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 08:11 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,133,751 times

Advertisements

I really don't know. I live in NC and am seeing things going on both ways. Sue Myrick is trying to help with legislation. Union County is courting them and trying to turn us into a little Mexico. Several criminal illegals were recently arrested by state and federal agencies. I think the people here want things done right, but some major companies are profiting while the taxpayers are paying. I believe the government needs to make companies responsible for what they are doing. We have good law enforcement but that does not do any good when the courts turn the criminals lose. So, as I said, it is mixed.

Last edited by NCN; 07-03-2008 at 08:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 08:43 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I really don't know. I live in NC and am seeing things going on both ways. Sue Myrick is trying to help with legislation. Union County is courting them and trying to turn us into a little Mexico. Several criminal illegals were recently arrested by state and federal agencies. I think the people here want things done right, but some major companies are profiting while the taxpayers are paying. I believe the government needs to make companies responsible for what they are doing. We have good law enforcement but that does not do any good when the courts turn the criminals lose. So, as I said, it is mixed.
You might want to hook up with ALIPAC, they're based out of Raleigh. William Gheen is the man in charge there, but they've got a great group of people. You can find their message board and Mission Statement easy enough, I won't put a link here because it might be a TOS violation.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:29 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,120,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpimus View Post
How would you rank the illegal immigration in your state. Please mention the state and why you voted the way you did.

If your state is doing a terrible job, please list the politicians (congressmen, governor etc..) So we all can write to them asking them to do their job by enforcing the law and give authorities the funds to do their jobs.
NY.

ICE rounds up bunches occasionally where I live upstate in industry and farming. However, downstate (NYC, LI) day laborers are all over. The sancutuary churches are not helping the matter. Politicians? Helping? Here? NOT. Who is not? Start w/ Clinton and Schumer. Add Gov. Paterson and the Dems in the state assembly/senate and mayors who allow it.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:35 AM

18,013 posts, read 17,159,915 times
Massachusetts--There are sanctuary cities like Cambridge -- sister city to Boston, home of Harvard and MIT, VERY liberal. On the other hand, there have been massive arrests of illegal workers. The governor, Deval Patrick is good in most ways but he favors the illegals and even wanted to give them drivers' licenses and to allow the children of illegals to pay instate tuition to state colleges.

I think most of us here are pro-immigrant as long as they come LEGALLY. Get in line, go through the process and come here the right way. Our senators are Kennedy and Kerry, both are for the illegals.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:49 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Massachusetts--There are sanctuary cities like Cambridge -- sister city to Boston, home of Harvard and MIT, VERY liberal. On the other hand, there have been massive arrests of illegal workers. The governor, Deval Patrick is good in most ways but he favors the illegals and even wanted to give them drivers' licenses and to allow the children of illegals to pay instate tuition to state colleges.

I think most of us here are pro-immigrant as long as they come LEGALLY. Get in line, go through the process and come here the right way. Our senators are Kennedy and Kerry, both are for the illegals.
Side note here:

Anymore: people who aid and abet illegal immigrants over American workers (white collar as well as blue collar) ain't 'liberal' IMHO-------said employers smack of the 'lords' of feudal societies 150 yeras ago.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:55 AM

16,701 posts, read 18,921,823 times
Pro-illegal aliens come from BOTH camps of the liberals as well as conservatives...

Old 07-04-2008, 09:59 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Side note here:

Anymore: people who aid and abet illegal immigrants over American workers (white collar as well as blue collar) ain't 'liberal' IMHO-------said employers smack of the 'lords' of feudal societies 150 yeras ago.
How true! I am also reminded of the mindset of "let them eat cake." Although some claim the remarks by Marie-Antoinette were misconstrued.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:00 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Arizona - was really bad, but is getting much better

Georgia - was a lot like Az. - they're getting it together now, though...
As GuyP said about Arizona

Old 07-07-2008, 04:53 PM

219 posts, read 378,598 times
It was interesting in our last republican primary (I think it was in June - I forgot to vote) a guy who had been in office and VERY long time was defeated mostly because of his stance on illegal immigration. I see changes like that and it gives me hope. Now if we could only see that in the presidential candidates.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:05 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,173,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGrrrrrl View Post
It was interesting in our last republican primary (I think it was in June - I forgot to vote) a guy who had been in office and VERY long time was defeated mostly because of his stance on illegal immigration. I see changes like that and it gives me hope. Now if we could only see that in the presidential candidates.
Yes that was absolutely awesome-pro-illegal Chris Cannon was defeated by pro-American Jason Chaffetz-despite the fact that Cannon outspent Chaffetz 7-1.

Let's hope that we see more of that in our congressional races in November.

Nicolem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration