U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 01:53 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
I think it's not uncommon for there to be resentment toward Asians, particularly in rural areas. Not that it's right, lol. But at the same time some of the Asian traveler's experiences are not uncommon for anyone, even Americans, to experience going from region to region.

More often, prejudices against Asians are expressed in terms of limiting opportunities and boxing Asians into certain fields, as well as a general mocking of their looks, language, and sometimes-tentative demeanor. I have seen a LOT of those three, and not just from whites, but not as much an outright discriminatory hostility.
You may be onto something there:

A friend of mine: who is counted as 100% White in the legal sense (Hungarian heritage) gets mistaken for Latina/Asian/Indian quite frequently--------she has dark hair, high cheekbones, slanted eyes with epicanthic folds, etc.

I suspech she has run into racial prejudice here in the Phx area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 04:29 PM

202 posts, read 947,820 times
it's common for asians in u.s to get alot of racial insults, but the reverse is true for whites living in hawaii

Old 07-03-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenofsix View Post
it's common for asians in u.s to get alot of racial insults, but the reverse is true for whites living in hawaii
I have heard that said: maybe that is why precious few 'indigenous' Hawaiians come to the mainland------yet, we have our share of Samoans/Tongans (same basic appearance/ethnicity) and unless hassled first, they usually are mellow.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:15 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,734,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
A man at work is a recent immigrant from Vietnam. Up to recently he had only been to the Washington DC area. He flew into the airport moved in with relatives, went to work and stayed close to home.

Here is his story:

After he worked for 6 months he decided to take some time off of work and planned a trip to Chicago by car to visit relatives. He took the long way there. The trip took him across West Virginia, Kentucky, TN, IN and then finally into Chicago. During the trip he said he spent days not seeing another Asian person. He was stared at, talked down to, insulted and told to go back home when he asked for directions.

No wonder I see so few non Hispanic immigrants outside of the big cities!
I have noticed a lot of people from Viet Nam that own and run nail salons.
I remember there were a lot in Oregon and seems the same in Arizona.
I'm sure there are those that fought in the Viet Nam war that may still hold resentment. It would be nice if there were no hate or prejudice in this country, it is not getting better...it is getting worse

Old 07-04-2008, 04:32 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Diversity is a new concept. As a "goal" to be pursued, it's been around no more than 35 years or so, at the outside. Diversity and its related goal, 'multiculturalism' are the products of Protestant-based, secular, Western societies. Most societies consider diversity very questionable at best...and find 'multiculturalism' as silly a concept as 'multi-ethics'...or 'multi-reality'. These places HAVE a culture, and see no reason to go "multi".

For a more thorough discussion, refer the the "What is White Guilt?" thread a page or two back, on the "Politics" forum...

AS to 'feeling uncomfoprtable' in a strange place, that's ALWAYS a judgement call. As a white person with a non-white spouse, when traveling in remote places far from home, I can honestly say that any "cool" reception one gets MIGHT be because they're just 'grumpy' and not too fond of strangers...or they don't like ME....or they don't like my WIFE....or they just don't like the fact that we're an "item". Without knowing more details, it's difficult to say. I WILL say that nasty, rude people have always been the rare exception...at least in our case. We always approach people in a friendly, respectful way, and USUALLY it's returned. I HAVE, a number of times, encountered ignorant people...but am convinced their ignorance was genuine, and they just didn't know any better....that's not QUITE the same as 'meanness'..

Being "the only Asian" in any situation isn't, in itself, a sign of being mistreated...though obviously it MIGHT not be totally comfortable.

Last edited by NewToCA; 07-04-2008 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: edited out source posting from banned member

Old 07-05-2008, 07:21 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,687,743 times
While punting on the Cam in Cambridge, England last week, we were surprised to find ourselves with a Brit punter who spent the entirety of the trip taking the p*ss on Americans. Since we were the only Americans on the punt (well, my fiance is a sort of expatriate Brit) I wondered if I should take it personally and be on guard for any other sort of mistreatment by the locals.

However, after a bit of self reflection, genuflection, and meditation, I've decided not to worry that all Europeans will dislike me or make me feel uncomfortable based upon the Cambridge student's observations about American culture...

Old 07-05-2008, 03:36 PM

148 posts, read 568,307 times
I never see any Asians outside of the big Cities, in the Appalachian areas or the Midwest. Only in the larger Cities. I would suspect he was right when he said he got alot of stares.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
I never see any Asians outside of the big Cities, in the Appalachian areas or the Midwest. Only in the larger Cities. I would suspect he was right when he said he got alot of stares.
Must be more of an East Coast small town thing........we have quite a few Americans of 'Asian' heritage in our small towns here in Arizona-----some of them are second+ generation to boot.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:56 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Must be more of an East Coast small town thing........we have quite a few Americans of 'Asian' heritage in our small towns here in Arizona-----some of them are second+ generation to boot.
Asians have always been pretty much a part of the American West. Chinese cafes exist in MANY tiny places, far in the interior. Particularly in the coastal states (Oregon, Washington, Calif., Alaska) Asians are a part of the scene. Kodiak Island, (AK), for example, had a population about 25% Filipino recently. I suppose it still does. Virtually ALL west coast towns of any size have some Asian presence...most, as you say, of long-time American ancestry.

Chinese labor built a good many western railroads (including Canada's). Japanese ingenuity developed MUCH of the West coast industry of row-crops,and the nursery industry. Filipinos were a huge part of farm labor in the West, and there's quite a presence of Filipinos in the Calif. Delta (Stockton). West coast fish canneries used a huge amount of Asian labor, from various sources. Ditto for food processing. There is a LARGE, long-established presence of Hindus, Sikhs, etc. (Indians) in the Sacramento Valley AND in the Vancouver, BC area, who mostly arrived long ago as farmers.

MOST of these folks are 'still here'.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,190 times
Default Vietnamese Immigrant Trip

I do not doubt that there was a substantial amount of "looking" at your friend, especially if he stopped in extremely rural areas. Nevertheless, I'm completely surprised that there was outright hostility and negativity directed at him because of his ethnicity. Typically, people reserve their racism for the home, or around people who share in their unenlightened views. I have lived in rural Kentucky and Indiana for the majority of my life, and there has always been the presence of an Asian immigrant community, however small it may be. Racism and prejudice are everywhere, and I hate that the South and Midwestern regions seem to get stereotyped as the only places it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or