U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-18-2008, 08:04 PM
 
Location: NoVa
2,038 posts, read 2,778,511 times
Reputation: 2785

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Your gender may be in your favor----------to many White guys; having an Asian G/F is a status thing hence you being treated with respect.
I don't think that's it, AZBear. I travel with my husband, who has Indian & Armenian heritage, and whose skin color is quite dark. We definitely stick out like 2 sore thumbs when we travel to small cities, but what we've encountered so far seem to be genuine curiousity from people about us.

The OP mentioned that he never sees Asians in Appalachian. Well, you don't see many whites there either due to lack of jobs. There's a reason why it's called rural you know, which means not many people live there, white or otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-18-2008, 10:05 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
I never see any Asians outside of the big Cities, in the Appalachian areas or the Midwest. Only in the larger Cities. I would suspect he was right when he said he got alot of stares.
Maybe you don't get out much. Many Hmong live in the Midwest. Many small towns have Asians that fit in quite well.

It can depend a lot on the individual. A guy from Hong Kong here was advised not to move to the Dallas area where he was planning to live in a small town outside Dallas. People here told him there's a lot of racism there and he would not be treated well. He went anyhow and he said the people were very friendly, very helpful and he very much enjoyed the small town, more rural atmosphere. This particular guy is outgoing, laughs a lot, doesn't take much serious so it can be a factor of individual traits. Some people can do quite well whereever they go, others won't make it in too many places at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2008, 10:11 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I don't think that's it, AZBear. I travel with my husband, who has Indian & Armenian heritage, and whose skin color is quite dark. We definitely stick out like 2 sore thumbs when we travel to small cities, but what we've encountered so far seem to be genuine curiousity from people about us.

The OP mentioned that he never sees Asians in Appalachian. Well, you don't see many whites there either due to lack of jobs. There's a reason why it's called rural you know, which means not many people live there, white or otherwise.
One problem with certain assumptions such as this one -- that there aren't many Asians in rural areas but that many Asian immigrants really want to live in rural areas when that's not usually the case.

If someone thinks about it, they'd realize that many Asians come on academic visas, not too many on agricultural visas. The type of Asians that we often see immigration here are university students, professors, physician specialists, computer programmers and others whose jobs are going to be in larger metropolitan areas and university centers.

How many people in Japan or Hong Kong right now are dreaming of someday living in the Kentucky and Tennessee hills? Maybe owning a few chickens and enjoying a country lifestyle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
One problem with certain assumptions such as this one -- that there aren't many Asians in rural areas but that many Asian immigrants really want to live in rural areas when that's not usually the case.

If someone thinks about it, they'd realize that many Asians come on academic visas, not too many on agricultural visas. The type of Asians that we often see immigration here are university students, professors, physician specialists, computer programmers and others whose jobs are going to be in larger metropolitan areas and university centers.

How many people in Japan or Hong Kong right now are dreaming of someday living in the Kentucky and Tennessee hills? Maybe owning a few chickens and enjoying a country lifestyle?
Not recently in all fairness but there was a famous pair of ethnic Chinese men from Thailand (Siam) who wound up in Mt Airy, N Carolina ca. 1830-----------Cheng and Eng Bunker, the 'original' Siamese Twins. Each man married a local (White) woman and between them about 20 children were born. The 1860 US Census listed those children as 'White'---------despite them being Mestizo, genetically speaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I don't think that's it, AZBear. I travel with my husband, who has Indian & Armenian heritage, and whose skin color is quite dark. We definitely stick out like 2 sore thumbs when we travel to small cities, but what we've encountered so far seem to be genuine curiousity from people about us.

The OP mentioned that he never sees Asians in Appalachian. Well, you don't see many whites there either due to lack of jobs. There's a reason why it's called rural you know, which means not many people live there, white or otherwise.
It must be the way you and your hubby 'carry yourselves'............read that not having a 'ghetto' persona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 08:10 AM
 
Location: NoVa
2,038 posts, read 2,778,511 times
Reputation: 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
One problem with certain assumptions such as this one -- that there aren't many Asians in rural areas but that many Asian immigrants really want to live in rural areas when that's not usually the case.

If someone thinks about it, they'd realize that many Asians come on academic visas, not too many on agricultural visas. The type of Asians that we often see immigration here are university students, professors, physician specialists, computer programmers and others whose jobs are going to be in larger metropolitan areas and university centers.

How many people in Japan or Hong Kong right now are dreaming of someday living in the Kentucky and Tennessee hills? Maybe owning a few chickens and enjoying a country lifestyle?
Thank you, that's exactly my point. It's the same reason why you only see expats in metropolitan cities in Asia. Not because of racism (although racism does exist in Asia, and even more 'in your face' compare to US), but because jobs are more available in the cities than rural places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 08:14 AM
 
Location: NoVa
2,038 posts, read 2,778,511 times
Reputation: 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
It must be the way you and your hubby 'carry yourselves'............read that not having a 'ghetto' persona.
Thank you. I find that when you're walking around feeling defensive with a giant chip on your shoulder and thinking that everyone will be out against you because you're a minority, well, you will certainly get it. But if you try to be open minded and show a genuine interest in your local surrounding and happenings, people are going to respond accordingly. Positive attracts positive, negative attracts negative. Simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Thank you, that's exactly my point. It's the same reason why you only see expats in metropolitan cities in Asia. Not because of racism (although racism does exist in Asia, and even more 'in your face' compare to US), but because jobs are more available in the cities than rural places.
I know of what you speak of there..............

Now for irony: a friend of mine of Hungarian/Slovak lineage AKA a non Hispanic 'White' has some obvious Asian heritage looking at her facial features. Read that high cheekbones, slanted eyes with the epicanthic folds, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 09:05 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
How many people in Japan or Hong Kong right now are dreaming of someday living in the Kentucky and Tennessee hills? Maybe owning a few chickens and enjoying a country lifestyle?
Not to radically change the subject, but your point..(a GOOD point) reminds me of another. Much has been said on this forum of the poor 'welcome' experienced by relative 'newcomers' into the US, and how this is evidence of our systemic racism as a culture. No doubt there is SOME degree of truth in this, but consider the following:

Not ONLY do relatively few residents of the Far East likely aspire to a future "raising chickens in the Tennessee hills"), and thus, are still relatively rare there, as a matter of fact, the "Tennessee hills" and MOST of the rural South, and parts of the midwest, had virtually NO immigration for a century or more, up until very recent times...white or non-white, virtually NO ONE 'new or different' showed up there, and the long-established blacks and whites who DID live there, were 'all there was'. Just two decades ago, it was extremely common to read the demographics of some of these 'heartland' counties in which 97 to 98 PER CENT of the population was "American born".

Now, these areas (never prosperous or cosmopolitan to begin with) ARE suddenly experiencing a large non-white immigrant 'influx', and are finding out that not only are these folks of a new and unfamiliar culture, a very high percentage of them are here ilegally...AND they are taking jobs, in an area never known for having a lot of jobs anyway.

Racism? Xenophobia? Narrow-mindedness? Maybe, to a certain extent, these things do exist. But let's be honest...a LOT of the 'back country' is 'new to this', and in SOME places, it's even hard for Americans to fit in. Change takes time...and this is change.

I live in California, where there's always been a MAJOR Hispanic presence, and a long tradition of "rural Asians" of many nationalities...but in other areas? It's different, that's pretty plain to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 08:38 PM
 
Location: um....guess
10,479 posts, read 13,505,293 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
It's the first time i've been in this forum. Someone should change the title from "Politics and other controversies" to "the Xenophobia forum". Seriously, every post on this first page is about immigrants. Is there really nothing else in the world to talk about?



I've spent a fair amount of time in England. In general, I don't care for the people at all. They think they're experts on our culture and politics because they watch our TV shows and movies. Basically what they "know" comes down to tired stereotypes.

Having travelled by train in most of western europe (and understanding french, spanish and italian well enough to eavesdrop) the English are considered brutish and ignorant by the continentals. They're certainly a step below americans FWIW.
That's interesting that you're so concerned about xenophobia on this forum, and then you turn right around & start talking contemptuously about the british....strange
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top