U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:56 AM

148 posts, read 569,799 times

Advertisements

A man at work is a recent immigrant from Vietnam. Up to recently he had only been to the Washington DC area. He flew into the airport moved in with relatives, went to work and stayed close to home.

Here is his story:

After he worked for 6 months he decided to take some time off of work and planned a trip to Chicago by car to visit relatives. He took the long way there. The trip took him across West Virginia, Kentucky, TN, IN and then finally into Chicago. During the trip he said he spent days not seeing another Asian person. He was stared at, talked down to, insulted and told to go back home when he asked for directions.

No wonder I see so few non Hispanic immigrants outside of the big cities!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 08:25 AM

16,755 posts, read 18,995,223 times
Some people are rude... do I expect everyone to be as nice as myself? Nope... It amazes me that people feel entitled to be treated a certain way by EVERYONE... I been treated badly by people of ALL races... should I be? I really don't care what people think or act, I have my own life to worry about already then to worry about "how other people should act"...

Old 07-03-2008, 08:33 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,696,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
A man at work is a recent immigrant from Vietnam. Up to recently he had only been to the Washington DC area. He flew into the airport moved in with relatives, went to work and stayed close to home.

Here is his story:

After he worked for 6 months he decided to take some time off of work and planned a trip to Chicago by car to visit relatives. He took the long way there. The trip took him across West Virginia, Kentucky, TN, IN and then finally into Chicago. During the trip he said he spent days not seeing another Asian person. He was stared at, talked down to, insulted and told to go back home when he asked for directions.

No wonder I see so few non Hispanic immigrants outside of the big cities!
That is very odd: Chinese restaurants are as American as apple pie-----even in small 'redneck' towns. Kingman, Az. has had at least one since the 1950's back when Black people were not welcome there.

Too: the original Siamese Twins; Cheng and Eng Bunker, lived in N Carolina ca. 1830, each married White women and some of their children were Southern slave owners.

Final point: in parts of the Old South, Chinese people were counted as 'White' on the US Census (including Cheng and Eng's kids).

Why I mentioned 'Chinese people' is that Vietnamese are to Chinese what Germans are to White Americans, essentially the same ethnicity-----that was told to me by an immigrant from Vietnam.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:42 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,057,072 times
Having never been to the states your friend travelled in, I really can't say if I'm surprised or not. It is a damn shame though. Had he been traveling in the western plain states, I don't think he would have been given such treatment at all.

Now, my sil who is native american said she absolutely hated South Carolina....she said that she didn't fit in anywhere --- she was too white to be with the blacks, and too dark to be with the whites. This was a smallish town so maybe that had something to do with it? Sad, though.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:44 AM

16,755 posts, read 18,995,223 times
Not really... Vietnamese and Chinese are from two different "tribes" according to legend... and the Vietnamese were able to beat back the Chinese to their northern border in "legendary" battles.. although the northern part of Vietnam is more mixed between Chinese and Vietnamese, there was little interaction between the two... The Vietnamese however derived a lot of their culture from the French which occupied them for a short while before the Vietnamese kicked the French out...

Old 07-03-2008, 08:59 AM

2,731 posts, read 5,950,255 times
I havent seen or heard alot of hatred towards Asians in my lifetime.
If you go to any really small town out in nowhere you will get looks.
Maybe because they dont know you,maybe because you are "different".
I have gotten looks because i was the only white guy around so its not one-sided.
I think the in your face rudeness would be pretty rare IMO

Old 07-03-2008, 09:35 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,848,271 times
I think this is indeed an exception, because Asians are generally accepted in this country. As a black person, I have certainly noticed a change (for the better) while traveling through certain areas previously known as being inhospitable to blacks. Although racism and prejudice will always exist, I do believe we have made progress. Itís unfortunate there are still people with this mindset.

I once felt anger when encountering people who prejudged me due to the color of my skin. Now, I simply feel sad for them. What a miserable existence.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:20 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,696,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I think this is indeed an exception, because Asians are generally accepted in this country. As a black person, I have certainly noticed a change (for the better) while traveling through certain areas previously known as being inhospitable to blacks. Although racism and prejudice will always exist, I do believe we have made progress. Itís unfortunate there are still people with this mindset.

I once felt anger when encountering people who prejudged me due to the color of my skin. Now, I simply feel sad for them. What a miserable existence.
What I have noticed is there seems to be three distinct generational subsets within the American Black community.

#1: Those folks born prior to, say 1940 felt or at least knew about the severe discrimination against (particularly dark skinned) Blacks.

#2: AA's born between 1940-80 are a transitional group..........both dealing with (fading) Jim Crow as well as Affirmative Action with its ramifications.

#3: To the 1980+ Black kids: 'what is Jim Crow'? I am seeing more and more interracial dating between Black women and White guys------at least here in the Phx area. The Black dude+White woman combo opened up quite a few doors, socially speaking.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:29 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,848,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
What I have noticed is there seems to be three distinct generational subsets within the American Black community.

#1: Those folks born prior to, say 1940 felt or at least knew about the severe discrimination against (particularly dark skinned) Blacks.

#2: AA's born between 1940-80 are a transitional group..........both dealing with (fading) Jim Crow as well as Affirmative Action with its ramifications.

#3: To the 1980+ Black kids: 'what is Jim Crow'? I am seeing more and more interracial dating between Black women and White guys------at least here in the Phx area. The Black dude+White woman combo opened up quite a few doors, socially speaking.
I am also seeing more of this combo, and it appears to be more acceptable.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:41 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,028,457 times
I think it's not uncommon for there to be resentment toward Asians, particularly in rural areas. Not that it's right, lol. But at the same time some of the Asian traveler's experiences are not uncommon for anyone, even Americans, to experience going from region to region.

More often, prejudices against Asians are expressed in terms of limiting opportunities and boxing Asians into certain fields, as well as a general mocking of their looks, language, and sometimes-tentative demeanor. I have seen a LOT of those three, and not just from whites, but not as much an outright discriminatory hostility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or