U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 09:33 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
'86 WAS A big amnesty...invoving, as I recall, some 3 million people. It met with considerable rersistance and 'grumbling' on the part ofr the American people...but it wasw pushed through anyway, with the promise that "this will satisfy them, and will end the problem once and for all".

Needless to say, that was HOPELESSLY naive. Not only did THAT amnesty fire up the call for the next, and the next, it's actually being cited as precedent.."if you could do it for THEM, you can do it for US".

Who would be UPSET at an upcoming amnesty? Well, let me think..

1. The American people, watching their laws be circumvented by those who make enough 'noise'..

2. Legal immigrants, who see their 'waiting in line' made a mockery of..

3. The first illegal immigrant who arrives the day AFTER the amnesty cut-off, and all those who follow him...They're going to start agitating for THEIR amnesty, a few years in the future...and why shouldn't they? If we can do it NOW, we can do it 5 or 10 years from now, too.
Absolutely! When a precedent is set, it becomes much more difficult to justify denying others the same “benefit.” It’s similar to having established policies and procedures in the workplace, and allowing a “select” group to ignore those directives with impunity; and then trying to fire others later for similar infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 10:04 AM

18 posts, read 33,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Indeed, what will you do when the price of food picked by these "illegals" go up. Y'all are already griping about gas and the general cost of living. What I can't get my head around is that for decades you people had no problem with them being your maids and farm workers and then when being conservative and loud became fashionable y'all couldn't wait...Limbaugh’s making out like a bandit with his new deal this week, is what spurs the others on and if the likes of him, Hannity and other's were making a big deal of reporting every time a drunk "illegal alien" smashed their car into a group of lily white Anglo kids driving home from their prom, folks wouldn’t get their knickers all in a twist.

Heck I even read somewhere this week that first and foremost Rush considers himself a businessman, it’s all about selling air time to sponsors and the more people they can whip into a frenzy with their hate and hypocrisy filled rants the mula they earn.

Deport those who commit serious crimes but for heaven sake give hard working undocumented people an amnesty.
In WWII this country fought and won two wars simultaneously on different sides of the world against two of the best trained and most efficient militaries the world has ever seen. After the wars were over, we went in and rebuilt those countries that suffered the most from the fighting. In 1969 we put a man on the moon and have continued to be one of the world's leading nations in technological developments.

To say that this country can no longer take care of itself without the aid of illegal labor is ABSOLUTELY ABSURD and it offends me. I can do my own yard work, I can mow my own lawns, I can pick my own vegetables out of my gardens. I have done "the jobs Americans won't do" when I was going to school full time and they were the only jobs that fit my schedule.

The main reason big business needs illegal labor is so that they can circumvent labor laws that were fought for and won by hard working Americans in order to avoid having to work those back-breaking jobs at wage rates just above slave labor and with minimal (if any) benefits. It's not because Americans won't do them. Americans won't do them for near slave-labor conditions.

As for deporting only those who commit serious crimes - illegal entry by an alien IS A SERIOUS CRIME!!! It's a federal offense, right on our law books; and I would call any federal offense a serious crime - so what you are saying then is deport them all. And I agree with you.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:09 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaba137 View Post
In WWII this country fought and won two wars simultaneously on different sides of the world against two of the best trained and most efficient militaries the world has ever seen. After the wars were over, we went in and rebuilt those countries that suffered the most from the fighting. In 1969 we put a man on the moon and have continued to be one of the world's leading nations in technological developments.

To say that this country can no longer take care of itself without the aid of illegal labor is ABSOLUTELY ABSURD and it offends me. I can do my own yard work, I can mow my own lawns, I can pick my own vegetables out of my gardens. I have done "the jobs Americans won't do" when I was going to school full time and they were the only jobs that fit my schedule.

The main reason big business needs illegal labor is so that they can circumvent labor laws that were fought for and won by hard working Americans in order to avoid having to work those back-breaking jobs at wage rates just above slave labor and with minimal (if any) benefits. It's not because Americans won't do them. Americans won't do them for near slave-labor conditions.

As for deporting only those who commit serious crimes - illegal entry by an alien IS A SERIOUS CRIME!!! It's a federal offense, right on our law books; and I would call any federal offense a serious crime - so what you are saying then is deport them all. And I agree with you.
Very well-stated!

Old 07-04-2008, 10:31 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,085,916 times
my favorite illegal excuse of all time is this. "but they can't afford to pay taxes."

Old 07-04-2008, 10:33 AM

23,000 posts, read 31,949,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
my favorite illegal excuse of all time is this. "but they can't afford to pay taxes."
Counter argument: Neither can us Americans, but we get locked up if we dont pay, Why shouldn't they?

Old 07-04-2008, 11:08 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,085,916 times
because cheap labor can kill the middle class and put us at the mercy of the government. that's why. we also get locked up if we commit social security, they get citizenship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Counter argument: Neither can us Americans, but we get locked up if we dont pay, Why shouldn't they?

Old 07-04-2008, 12:36 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
This is PARTIALLY true. Saying "they can't afford to pay taxes" is no different from your telling your kids, "We CAN'T AFFORD to go to Disneyland tomorrow morning". This, of course, isn't strictly true. What you're REALLY saying is "Disneyland is expensive....and I'd rather use the money for something else..and I choose NOT to spend my money this month on going to Disneyland". Taxes are much the same. Can any of us really "afford" to pay taxes, if we're given the choice?..hmmmm

Old 07-04-2008, 02:02 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,323,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaba137 View Post

Nice one, but if I had a penny for every person who comes up with the same old regurgitated rhetoric about how many wars y'all had fought, won or bailed others out of, I'd be a very wealthy woman. I was quite surprised you didn't come out with the old line about “you would be eating sauerkraut instead of fish and chips" Let's leave that out and talk like adults. For all you know I could be from Alabama and living in the UK....you are free to leave the USA you know

Not sure what sort of jobs you did while at school, but I presume they didn't include crawling on your knees picking strawberries, oranges, lettuce etc...Besides, how much do you think some of the citizens will ask for to do that sort of work? $10, $20, $30, $50 per hr? Your little girls all want to be Paris Hilton or Hannah Montana – so can’t see them applying to be maids at Motel 6.

Face it just like the drug war America will never end illegal immigration. You can’t win every war. But hey it gives people reason to punch their fists in the air so who am I to resent them for doing so.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:43 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,173,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Nice one, but if I had a penny for every person who comes up with the same old regurgitated rhetoric about how many wars y'all had fought, won or bailed others out of, I'd be a very wealthy woman. I was quite surprised you didn't come out with the old line about “you would be eating sauerkraut instead of fish and chips" Let's leave that out and talk like adults. For all you know I could be from Alabama and living in the UK....you are free to leave the USA you know

Not sure what sort of jobs you did while at school, but I presume they didn't include crawling on your knees picking strawberries, oranges, lettuce etc...Besides, how much do you think some of the citizens will ask for to do that sort of work? $10, $20, $30, $50 per hr? Your little girls all want to be Paris Hilton or Hannah Montana – so can’t see them applying to be maids at Motel 6.

Face it just like the drug war America will never end illegal immigration. You can’t win every war. But hey it gives people reason to punch their fists in the air so who am I to resent them for doing so.
Based on your condescending tone I don't think that's possible...

Old 07-04-2008, 02:57 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,230,141 times
If there was no illegal labor to pick vegetables someone else would do it. Those jobs should be automated anyway. Perhaps the solution is more u-pick fields. The market would find a solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or