U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 09:20 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,710,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
There you go ...it's the Wild West mentality. For heavens sake, I over stayed my tourist visa back in the mid '80's. Did I go back, heck no. I was young and wanted to have a good time but had to get a job. I went down town got an SS card that allowed me to open a bank account and obtain a drivers lisc. Within a week I was temping all over LA, had some really cool jobs including one doing admin in the office of a famous movie star (a very conservative one too) but the pièce de résistance was my job in HR with UPS. I actually had to ask applicants about their immigration status...if only they knew eh? Any way fast forward 4 years which included me having to come back home to London for 8 months I eventually got a Green Card. The lawyer cost me a fortune.

These people don't realise there are hundred of thousands of illegal aliens from all over Europe and other parts of the world and while they are busy looking for a dark skinned Muslim to carry out the next set of atrocities or mesicans crossing the boarders, they just might miss the Sauvé handsome Swede who'll give Toby Keith another reason to write another kick as$ song.
It is no wonder you can relate so well to illegal immigrants- you were one yourself. Overstay your visa so you can have a good time- WHY NOT? After all, it's only a piece of paper, right? And you were probably here to have the good times that American citizens were too lazy to have.

Quote:
I went down town got an SS card
Now this is the most amazing thing...........just how did you acquire this SS card? It is not too difficult to conclude that you bought it, just like all the other illegals. Are you aware that that is a felony under US law?

Quote:
Any way fast forward 4 years which included me having to come back home to London for 8 months I eventually got a Green Card. The lawyer cost me a fortune.
No wonder your lawyer cost you a fortune!

Quote:
Consequences of Unlawful Overstay

The 3 and 10 year bars to re-entry

The 1996 Illegal Immigration Reform and Responsibility Act (IIRAIRA) created three year, ten year, and permanent bars on admission to the U.S. for a variety of immigration status violations.

These bars apply widely and affect immigrants who have family in the U.S., have worked and paid taxes in the U.S., and in many cases are otherwise eligible for permanent resident status.

The three year bar to re-entry into the U.S.: The three year bar applies to individuals who have been unlawfully present in the United States for a continuous period of more than 180 days, but less than one year, and who voluntarily depart the U.S.

The ten year bar to re-entry into the U.S.: [/b]The ten year bar applies to individuals unlawfully present in the U.S. for an aggregate period of one year or more who depart voluntarily.[/b] Unlawful presence begins to accrue when the period of authorized stay expires or after an entry to the U.S. without inspection.
Heather L. Poole, PC

Considering that you deliberately overstayed your visa AND committed a felony by using a forged/stolen SS#, it is impressive that he was able to get you a green card at all. You certainly don't deserve one.

Now, you may be sitting there chortling away to yourself at having pulled a fast one on the hapless Yanks, but don't get too caught up in your merriment. You see, there is this thing called an ISP #..........

Ever heard the expression 'go pound sand'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 09:31 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
It is no wonder you can relate so well to illegal immigrants- you were one yourself. Overstay your visa so you can have a good time- WHY NOT? After all, it's only a piece of paper, right? And you were probably here to have the good times that American citizens were too lazy to have.

Now this is the most amazing thing...........just how did you acquire this SS card? It is not too difficult to conclude that you bought it, just like all the other illegals. Are you aware that that is a felony under US law?

No wonder your lawyer cost you a fortune!

Heather L. Poole, PC

Considering that you deliberately overstayed your visa AND committed a felony by using a forged/stolen SS#, it is impressive that he was able to get you a green card at all. You certainly don't deserve one.

Now, you may be sitting there chortling away to yourself at having pulled a fast one on the hapless Yanks, but don't get too caught up in your merriment. You see, there is this thing called an ISP #..........

Ever heard the expression 'go pound sand'?
As you stated.

Her kind disgusts me------------if anything: I have even less respect for that putative Brit than I do for an illegal from Chiapas, Mexico.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:56 AM

2,731 posts, read 5,937,199 times
Love the English but maybe she should be more concerned about the..
Horrible things happening in England than defending Illegal immigration in the USA.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
As you stated.

Her kind disgusts me------------if anything: I have even less respect for that putative Brit than I do for an illegal from Chiapas, Mexico.
You are right. I must add 'I wanted to have a good time' to my list of excuses illegal aliens give for being in the US.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:09 AM

605 posts, read 2,187,271 times
Without commenting on the broader debate gonna have to call you on the whole "stolen/forged SS card" allegation. Back in those days they were given out legitimately to almost all and sundry. It's only in recent years that they changed/tightened regulations as to who should have a SS# and who shouldn't.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
Without commenting on the broader debate gonna have to call you on the whole "stolen/forged SS card" allegation. Back in those days they were given out legitimately to almost all and sundry. It's only in recent years that they changed/tightened regulations as to who should have a SS# and who shouldn't.
I am sure you are correct that the procedure to obtain a SS# was less carefully scrutinized than it is today. However, I still do not see how someone here on a tourist visa managed to get a SS# without misrepresentation somewhere along the line. To the best of my knowledge those on a tourist visa cannot legally work while in the US.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:59 PM

605 posts, read 2,187,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
I am sure you are correct that the procedure to obtain a SS# was less carefully scrutinized than it is today. However, I still do not see how someone here on a tourist visa managed to get a SS# without misrepresentation somewhere along the line. To the best of my knowledge those on a tourist visa cannot legally work while in the US.
You are correct that someone cannot work legally with a tourist visa. What I am saying is that being in possession of a visa was not a requirement in order to obtain an SSN in those days so no deceit should have been necessary on that score. SSNs were given out in order, among other things, to help facilitate the payment of taxes, and you don't have to be employed in the U.S. in order to owe U.S. taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or