Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 07:39 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,445 times

Advertisements

Its no secret this country is on its way to become way more Latino.

This poll is pretty interesting about ethnic relations between a few groups.

Whos Most Likely to Date Other Races? New Poll Tells All (http://www.diversityinc.com/public/2844.cfm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 07:55 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Very interesting article, thank you for sharing that!

It gives me hope that we just may make this 'melting pot' work yet

However, I didn't see where it said that the nation is going to turn Latino, the way I read it is that more and more people of all backgrounds are looking for common ground, not looking to 'Latinize' the land. a

Last edited by camping!; 07-01-2008 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: add

Old 07-01-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Very interesting article, thank you for sharing that!

It gives me hope that we just may make this 'melting pot' work yet

However, I didn't see where it said that the nation is going to turn Latino, the way I read it is that more and more people of all backgrounds are looking for common ground, not looking to 'Latinize' the land. a
It was just me saying that. I didn't mean as "Latinizing", but as the country becoming more Latino, as in the population jumping.

But I think every generation of Americans is becoming more tolerant of each other.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:53 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
It was just me saying that. I didn't mean as "Latinizing", but as the country becoming more Latino, as in the population jumping.

But I think every generation of Americans is becoming more tolerant of each other.
Absolutely......when I think of how balkanized neighborhoods were in my grandparents day, and not as in black/white but as in the Germans didn't mix with the Czechs who didn't mix with the Polish who didn't mix with the Russians. And Catholics and Protestants never mixed with each other! My own parents were loudly condemned for having a mixed marriage -- he was an Irish christian scientist from Cali and she was a Czech catholic from Nebraska. Very scandalous --- but 52 years later still going strong

Old 07-01-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Absolutely......when I think of how balkanized neighborhoods were in my grandparents day, and not as in black/white but as in the Germans didn't mix with the Czechs who didn't mix with the Polish who didn't mix with the Russians. And Catholics and Protestants never mixed with each other! My own parents were loudly condemned for having a mixed marriage -- he was an Irish christian scientist from Cali and she was a Czech catholic from Nebraska. Very scandalous --- but 52 years later still going strong
Way I see it, when people are new to the country, they like to be surrounded by people like them.
As new generations spring up, they feel more comfortable to mingle with people of other groups.

And as racism is becoming less prevalent in this country, things can only get better.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:10 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
This is interesting! Hopefully, one day we can all simply be "American."

Old 07-01-2008, 11:11 PM

77 posts, read 114,930 times
Hopefully, one day we can all simply be "Human."

Old 07-02-2008, 08:49 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Don't mean to sound mean-spirited here at ALL...but this is hardly a surprising piece of news...."Immigrants, especially Latinos, tend to be optimistic about life in America"? And this is NEWS? Seems pretty much like a no-brainer to me. Given that a huge percentage of these people arrived here illegally, and are now being 'given a pass' and will probably soon be "amnestized" (for the umpteenth time), why SHOULDN'T they be optimistic?

To make an analogy, imagine 1000 university students studying long and hard at great expense, sacrifice, and personal commitment, in pursuit of a prized 6-year Master's Degree. One month prior to graduation, 100 'new guys' show up, sit in on a few classes, begin 'grumbling' to the adminstration, until finally, it's decided these 'new guys' get the same Masters Degree as the original students. EVERYBODY is going to graduate "come loudly". THe 'new guys' should get the same degree as the 'old guys'....because they WANT it just as much.

Now...THINK FOR A MOMENT, please....which of these two "groups" (old students vs new 'unregistered students') is going to think he got 'the better deal'?.... which of these two groups is the most likely to brag that "Hey, man, a Master's Degree is a 'piece of cake'...nothin' TO it'.?

On the other hand, which of these two groups might be inclined to grumble that the system was unfair, and that their long-term investment in their education had been made to look meaningless and 'silly'?

The fact that "immigrants, particularly Latinos" are optimistic, doesn't surprise me one bit, particularly in view of the way we define the term "immigrant" today. Why SHOULDN'T they be optimistic?

PS I noticed there seemed to be no mention of "whites" in the article.....whether because they aren't considered 'diverse', or whether it's simply taken for granted they aren't optimistic, I'm not sure. As far as I know, however, whites are still a 'group'....so for that reason, I'd say the article was incomplete.

Last edited by macmeal; 07-02-2008 at 09:01 AM..

Old 07-02-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Don't mean to sound mean-spirited here at ALL...but this is hardly a surprising piece of news...."Immigrants, especially Latinos, tend to be optimistic about life in America"? And this is NEWS? Seems pretty much like a no-brainer to me. Given that a huge percentage of these people arrived here illegally, and are now being 'given a pass' and will probably soon be "amnestized" (for the umpteenth time), why SHOULDN'T they be optimistic?

To make an analogy, imagine 1000 university students studying long and hard at great expense, sacrifice, and personal commitment, in pursuit of a prized 6-year Master's Degree. One month prior to graduation, 100 'new guys' show up, sit in on a few classes, begin 'grumbling' to the adminstration, until finally, it's decided these 'new guys' get the same Masters Degree as the original students. EVERYBODY is going to graduate "come loudly". THe 'new guys' should get the same degree as the 'old guys'....because they WANT it just as much.

Now...THINK FOR A MOMENT, please....which of these two "groups" (old students vs new 'unregistered students') is going to think he got 'the better deal'?.... which of these two groups is the most likely to brag that "Hey, man, a Master's Degree is a 'piece of cake'...nothin' TO it'.?

On the other hand, which of these two groups might be inclined to grumble that the system was unfair, and that their long-term investment in their education had been made to look meaningless and 'silly'?

The fact that "immigrants, particularly Latinos" are optimistic, doesn't surprise me one bit, particularly in view of the way we define the term "immigrant" today. Why SHOULDN'T they be optimistic?

PS I noticed there seemed to be no mention of "whites" in the article.....whether because they aren't considered 'diverse', or whether it's simply taken for granted they aren't optimistic, I'm not sure. As far as I know, however, whites are still a 'group'....so for that reason, I'd say the article was incomplete.

The poll considered immigrant Latinos, Asians, and even Africans I believe AND long time American Latinos, Blacks, and Asians.

Im guessing it was just to gauge minority feelings in a country that wasn't always so minority-friendly.

And I bet a lot of those opinions are much higher than they were 30, 40 or even 20 years ago.

The poll wasn't just about optimism, but how these groups view each other. Some opinions werent very comforting, but overall it doesn't look like we're going to be at each others throats in the future.
Maybe just maybe we are growing out our distrust of each other, and will be able to become Americans without losing the identity of our heritage.

And for your analogy, I think its more like those in the Master's program at the nice university are grumbling about a bunch of people crashing classes at the local community college to get an Associates.
It doesn't really affect the former's education, but to them it's just plain wrong.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:52 PM

243 posts, read 86,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

I agree with you there. If the illegals ever get their amnesty, they should start the process from scratch. Ive been here in the US for 10 years and still am not a citizen, and i came here legally. Most latinos didnt come here legally, most came here the "right" way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration