Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 11:43 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

RALEIGH - Most of the people being detained and deported under a federal immigration enforcement program operated through county sheriff's departments are finding their way into jails and out of the country on routine traffic offenses.

The "287(g) program," in which federally trained deputies check out the immigration status of people who are arrested and taken to jails in Alamance and other North Carolina counties, is gaining popularity statewide as a way to control the population of illegal aliens.

Region: Most immigration detainees brought in on minor traffic violations | people, charges, alamance : Burlington Times News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 11:58 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
RALEIGH - Most of the people being detained and deported under a federal immigration enforcement program operated through county sheriff's departments are finding their way into jails and out of the country on routine traffic offenses.

The "287(g) program," in which federally trained deputies check out the immigration status of people who are arrested and taken to jails in Alamance and other North Carolina counties, is gaining popularity statewide as a way to control the population of illegal aliens.

Region: Most immigration detainees brought in on minor traffic violations | people, charges, alamance : Burlington Times News
Ooh, go North Carolina!!!!!

Old 07-05-2008, 12:03 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Ooh, go North Carolina!!!!!
Especially being that N Carolina has (or had) the rep of being a sanctuary state.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:50 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Whatever it takes. Kudos, NC!

As AzBear would say.....the hammer continues to fall.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:32 AM

608 posts, read 1,004,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Whatever it takes. Kudos, NC!

As AzBear would say.....the hammer continues to fall.
The hammer may be falling but this sounds suspiciously like racial profiling. I was surprised to read that difficulty in speaking English was used as a flag for suspicion of being illegal. If you say it is not racial profiling then there are many US born English speakers that have difficulty speaking English or expressing themselves. I wonder if they check their status too?

Old 07-06-2008, 06:59 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,697 times
Quote:
Sgt. Jerry Williams of the Alamance County Sheriff's Department said that out of the 235 people placed on illegal immigrant detainers this year, 164 were for traffic violations, mostly for driving without an operator's license.

An additional 39 were on DWI charges and 25 were on assault charges. Thirty-seven were for felony charges.

"Everybody that is not U.S. born is screened," said Randy Jones, a spokesman for the Alamance County Sheriff's Department.
Quote:
If the officers have reason to believe the person isn't telling the truth, they can do more checking, Hughes said. One sign that a person might not have been born in the United States is that the person has difficulty speaking English, he said.

People from Puerto Rico, where Spanish and English are spoken, can also be checked out, Hughes said. Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens.

"There's nothing saying I cannot run a Puerto Rican on my machine just to check him," Hughes said.
That doesn't look like 'racial profiling' to me...

Old 07-06-2008, 07:10 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
The hammer may be falling but this sounds suspiciously like racial profiling. I was surprised to read that difficulty in speaking English was used as a flag for suspicion of being illegal. If you say it is not racial profiling then there are many US born English speakers that have difficulty speaking English or expressing themselves. I wonder if they check their status too?
Now:

Why is it perfectly acceptable for law enforcement to profile a '1% looking biker' White guy on just his looks-------yet, it is 'not' OK to profile a stereotypical brown person who has an accent?

That is a double standard.

I used to hassled by the 'man' 30+ years ago for long hair, tiedyed shirts and so forth; I did not like it, but, hindsight being 20/20, all too often people of my appearance were indeed up to no good. BTW: I was 'clean'

Oh well.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:11 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Absolutely no surprise to me, John.

The blatant disrespect for the laws of this country becomes second nature to most illegals.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:59 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
Perhaps you can direct me to the section of this article where it states that only “foreign accented” people are being asked their immigration status. Obviously, I overlooked it.

Bottom line: If they are indeed hard-working and law-abiding, they would not come to the attention of law enforcement in the 287(g) program. I have lived 40+ years, and have yet to see the inside of a patrol car or police station, with the exception of participating in a “ride-a-long” program for a criminal justice course in college.

The police are not scouring the streets in search of “people with an accent.” That would be “profiling” albeit, not “racial” profiling, given the fact that illegal aliens come in all colors and languages. Those detained and deported through this program were identified as being illegal through “their” violation of laws, which resulted in their arrest. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:45 AM

26 posts, read 162,388 times
I say Good its working....
I live in Maryland... We had a nest of illegals that moved into the neighborhood.. Cars and trucks from North Carolina just started to appear overnight...

I wish Maryland would do it....

BTW???.I think it got de-funded.???... Not sure about this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration