U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2008, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,633,862 times
Reputation: 3785

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Still very few don't give themselves away by their accent. The problem here (in Chicago) is that the Polish illegals are sheltered by the largest Polish community outside of Warsaw. How ever illegal Romanians and Bulgarians are don't have that recourse so they get caught more. Serbs also have an "underground railroad " in this area.

Sidebar: Until only a few tears ago the second largest group of illegals in this area were the Irish. Today they are doing so well that Ireland is beginning to have a problem with immigration.
Second sidebar:

A Spaniard, Pole, Italian, etc. can legally go to Ireland (or vice versa) to work courtesy in part to the Schengen Agreement. Most of the above nations are (or will be) in the Eurozone as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2008, 02:46 PM
 
1,487 posts, read 1,990,689 times
Reputation: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Second sidebar:

A Spaniard, Pole, Italian, etc. can legally go to Ireland (or vice versa) to work courtesy in part to the Schengen Agreement. Most of the above nations are (or will be) in the Eurozone as well.
That's true but the problem the Irish are having isn't with EU members since as you say they can move freely within member countries, it's with the usual problem in the EU. That is, people from the African continent and the non EU nations, like Russia.


Then there is the problem with people from member nations and associated nations like Romania. Consider that problem as it is unfolding in Italy and starting now in Spain. The Italians are now attempting to prohibit Romanian immigration without proper papers and applications. This of course is their (the EU) own fault for wanting cheap labour...an instance of "you get what you pay for". But the Italian situation is threatening the fabric of the EU, in a minor way but we are seeing that perhaps the planning wasn't done very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2008, 02:56 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,997,852 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
You need to read the article. There are many creative ways to get to Hawaii. Having said that, all you need is a valid driver's license (no passport) to fly via commercial airlines. There are many illegals who have valid drivers licenses and can fly around the continental US and its non-continental states and territories.
But will there be a massive immigration say as to California or Arizona? I dont know, I just don't see a lot of the very poor illegal immigrants flying back to Hawaii each time they get deported like they would walk back across to the continental U.S.
I can't even afford to go to Hawaii!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2008, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,633,862 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
That's true but the problem the Irish are having isn't with EU members since as you say they can move freely within member countries, it's with the usual problem in the EU. That is, people from the African continent and the non EU nations, like Russia.


Then there is the problem with people from member nations and associated nations like Romania. Consider that problem as it is unfolding in Italy and starting now in Spain. The Italians are now attempting to prohibit Romanian immigration without proper papers and applications. This of course is their (the EU) own fault for wanting cheap labour...an instance of "you get what you pay for". But the Italian situation is threatening the fabric of the EU, in a minor way but we are seeing that perhaps the planning wasn't done very well.
No joke there:

Spain is requesting help from its sister EU nations in dealing with its illegal immigration problems.

Besides: Spain has a wall between its N African enclaves and the rest of Africa. Melitta (sp) comes to mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2008, 05:43 PM
 
1,487 posts, read 1,990,689 times
Reputation: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
No joke there:

Spain is requesting help from its sister EU nations in dealing with its illegal immigration problems.

Besides: Spain has a wall between its N African enclaves and the rest of Africa. Melitta (sp) comes to mind
I was visiting my kids (I have two who live in Spain) when they had that first episode with the fence and the intruders who tried to vault it. You had to be crazy to try it because they used double razor wire, patrols and dogs. They were successful in repelling the intruders but they proved a couple of things we need to think about. One is for the fence to be really effective it must be patrolled and Two there is no room for "political correctness" in guarding the boarder. You'll have to use razor wire, dogs and even rubber bullets (which the Spanish had but didn't use.) One or two persons suffered serious gunshot wounds in one sector where they used live ammunition. People who try to enter a country illegally often use violence against the border guards. you have to use it right back at them. As you see since that time there have been no more serious incidents. The illegals obviously got the idea and have now decided to use boats and enter via the Canary Islands but at least half of them die trying.

The Italians seriously criticized Spain at that time but have since changed their tune since they are experiencing first hand similar problems. Things certainly change when one experiences the problems first hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2008, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,633,862 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
I was visiting my kids (I have two who live in Spain) when they had that first episode with the fence and the intruders who tried to vault it. You had to be crazy to try it because they used double razor wire, patrols and dogs. They were successful in repelling the intruders but they proved a couple of things we need to think about. One is for the fence to be really effective it must be patrolled and Two there is no room for "political correctness" in guarding the boarder. You'll have to use razor wire, dogs and even rubber bullets (which the Spanish had but didn't use.) One or two persons suffered serious gunshot wounds in one sector where they used live ammunition. People who try to enter a country illegally often use violence against the border guards. you have to use it right back at them. As you see since that time there have been no more serious incidents. The illegals obviously got the idea and have now decided to use boats and enter via the Canary Islands but at least half of them die trying.

The Italians seriously criticized Spain at that time but have since changed their tune since they are experiencing first hand similar problems. Things certainly change when one experiences the problems first hand.
Hmmmm.......time to hire Spanish Patrulla Frontera officers for our Border Patrol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2008, 08:54 AM
 
Location: OC, CA
3,309 posts, read 5,033,286 times
Reputation: 645
If it is such a "great concern" why are there still so many Democrats there?

If I could, I would send all the illegals in the Southland of California to San Francisco, Hawaii, and other liberal places that seem to embrace these lawbreakers. I would pay for the bus tickets and plane tickets to get rid of them from our communities and put them in places where the people embrace them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2008, 09:03 AM
 
3,754 posts, read 7,219,412 times
Reputation: 4835
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
If it is such a "great concern" why are there still so many Democrats there?

If I could, I would send all the illegals in the Southland of California to San Francisco, Hawaii, and other liberal places that seem to embrace these lawbreakers. I would pay for the bus tickets and plane tickets to get rid of them from our communities and put them in places where the people embrace them.

HUH? Let me see if I get this right. If republicans were in charge there, then the concern about illegal immigration would be legitimate, yes? Hello, we have had a republican president for the past eight years. He wanted to support amnesty. The borders have been practically open, allowing illegals to come whenever they please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 04:31 PM
 
1,448 posts, read 2,659,633 times
Reputation: 690
Quote:
"For us it's problematic because we've got about 1,500 members in the Carpenters Union who are unemployed and these are law-abiding, local people who are losing their jobs to illegal workers. It's just not right," Chock said.
Labor-contractor group's leader says illegal workers stealing jobs

Labor-contractor group's leader says illegal workers stealing jobs | HonoluluAdvertiser.com | The Honolulu Advertiser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,819,795 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
This MUST be a mistake. We all know illegals ONLY do the work U.S. citizens WON'T do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top